Roster is updated | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roster is updated

Reaction Score
I do not believe that Dorka and Aayliah, with Ono up high, passing, would have negated, (maybe narrowed) SC’s HUGE rebounding and second chance points in the final.
With the freshmen we have coming in - now, maybe.
I have a feeling that that the new bigs are unafraid, and are actually looking forward to playing against Boston.
I believe Boston was in our heads last year; this coming year not so much.
And, “that’s why they play the games...”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would say it is "THE happiest I have ever been to be National Runner's Up! You all have battled through things that no one else have ever had to endure. Most of you still will be battling health issues to get ready for next year, but be proud of this accomplishment, and use it as a stepping stone. Once we are healthy as a team, WE GOT THIS!"
Well said!! After last year, I ask.....why not us?
I'm not as astute as you but I would hope that Geno isn't anywhere near finished in picking up those 2 you want. With our guard package now, I'd like to see 2 or more 6 ft 7's or taller (I know, I'm a glutton). You'll excuse my ignorance, I hope, but you mentioned 2 unknown and one unproven quantities, Freshman as we know (whose first name isn't Paige, Caroline, AZZI) rarely hit the floor running in the Uconn scheme of the game.
Personally, I hope Ice and AYanna are all they can be and start, but I doubt it. Amari, can shoot, we saw that. But is she a post or a forward?? I'd like your views on those mentioned. Thanks.
Its way too early to tell, but I honestly think Geno will have a hard time keeping any of our newbies on the bench.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Patterson can't defend at the sf, and play offensively in a similar manner as Griffin?
I’m not sure this was directed to me. I only commented on Aubrey’s peculiar magic at the 3/4. I’m sure Ayanna can defend the 3/4 just fine. But she’s so strong I think defending the 4 may make more sense for her than defending the 3. I’m just picturing Saxton trying to contain her on offense. Now that would be a mismatch, and not one Saxton is used to. I suspect Boston’s effectiveness will be diminished if Saxton/Amihere get worn out by Ayanna and Ice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With UCONN WBBB the "official" goal is always to win it all next year regardless or the prior season outcome. That is not going to change as long as Geno is coaching. If I'm Geno addressing the team I'm extremely proud of the season they had in beating Indiana, NCSt and Stanford to close the season. I also think Geno was very disappointed with the teams performance in the championship game and he would address that as well. In reality if the players aren't disappointed by the way the UCONN season ended then chances are they are no longer on this team. When the season starts and the players get a chance to talk you are not going to hear much about how they played vs NCSt and Stanford. Did you hear anyone mention of the Baylor game at the beginning of this past season? Of course not. Merely making it to a championship game is the stuff of legends at many other programs-not for UCONN.

That is true as far as the "official goal" goes but the memories of those three games has to have changed the team's confidence in a good way. That's in their minds as much as the bitterness of losing the last game.
I do not believe that Dorka and Aayliah, with Ono up high, passing, would have negated, (maybe narrowed) SC’s HUGE rebounding and second chance points in the final.
With the freshmen we have coming in - now, maybe.
I have a feeling that that the new bigs are unafraid, and are actually looking forward to playing against Boston.
I believe Boston was in our heads last year; this coming year not so much.
And, “that’s why they play the games...”
There may be lots of reasons but no team has repeated since 2016.
Last year I said that it's tough to repeat. I say the same now. SCar is a great team but it's difficult to match the desire that they had last year. When you are hungry you work harder. They just can't be as hungry.

Reaction Score
Mir and Saylor transferring early season is a perfect example of finishing what you started!
If they waited till the end of the season to decide they would have gotten plenty of playing time with all the injuries.
Then make a decision to stay or go!

Reaction Score
With UCONN WBBB the "official" goal is always to win it all next year regardless or the prior season outcome. That is not going to change as long as Geno is coaching. If I'm Geno addressing the team I'm extremely proud of the season they had in beating Indiana, NCSt and Stanford to close the season. I also think Geno was very disappointed with the teams performance in the championship game and he would address that as well. In reality if the players aren't disappointed by the way the UCONN season ended then chances are they are no longer on this team. When the season starts and the players get a chance to talk you are not going to hear much about how they played vs NCSt and Stanford. Did you hear anyone mention of the Baylor game at the beginning of this past season? Of course not. Merely making it to a championship game is the stuff of legends at many other programs-not for UCONN.
IMHO Geno may have been "disappointed" at the results of the finals but he wasn't "upset" because he knew the injured and illnesses on the team was the main reason the game wasn't closer, not effort or ability!
The end result may not have changed but a healthier lineup would have made the score more competitive!

Reaction Score
UConn should be proud. Considering all that happened during the year they had a very successful season, right until the last game when all the wheels fell off. Nuff said, time to move on.
Last year’s team showed incredible heart.
When this year’s team displays the same level of heart and tenacity- we win.
Order the banner.

Reaction Score
Last year’s team showed incredible heart.
When this year’s team displays the same level of heart and tenacity- we win.
Order the banner.
it's not that simple, 3 players left 2 of them played over 125+ games for Uconn. The lineup will consist of 2 sophomores, 2 jrs, and 1 sr coming off a terrible injury.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Paige said at UConn "it's national titles or nothing" so if she feels the season was a waste, why should we not feel the same way?
I understand what you have written and almost felt the same way, almost. I am sure in retrospect that Paige realizes the season ending game while disappointing was not an entire waste, nor was the season. We may want to forget about the last game, however there are many lessons to be learned from it, as well as the entire season. I respect how Paige feels about the last game and the season, I don't rely on Paige's feelings to shape my own. The season to me was nowhere near a waste, analogy please, the season was like a good book with twists, elation, highs, lows and intrigue it's just that the ending sucked. :(

Reaction Score
it's not that simple, 3 players left 2 of them played over 125+ games for Uconn. The lineup will consist of 2 sophomores, 2 jrs, and 1 sr coming off a terrible injury.
I think your count may be a little off. 2 grad students (Dorka and Lou), 1 senior (Aubrey), 3 juniors (Paige, Aaliyah, Nika), and 3 sophomores (Caroline, Amari and Azzi), and 2 freshmen (Ayanna and Ice).

If you meant to compare the starting lineups, that's a bit trickier given the turmoil of last season. But a typical lineup toward the end of the season consisted of Christyn, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, and Olivia -- or 2 seniors, 1 sophomore, 2 freshmen. Next season, we are likely to see Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka -- or 1 grad student, 2 juniors and 2 sophomores. And given how much playing time Azzi and Caroline got last season, I don't think they will be any sort of liability against anyone.

Reaction Score
I would say it is "THE happiest I have ever been to be National Runner's Up! You all have battled through things that no one else have ever had to endure. Most of you still will be battling health issues to get ready for next year, but be proud of this accomplishment, and use it as a stepping stone. Once we are healthy as a team, WE GOT THIS!"
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it’s the only time we’ve been National Runner’s Up!

Reaction Score
I think your count may be a little off. 2 grad students (Dorka and Lou), 1 senior (Aubrey), 3 juniors (Paige, Aaliyah, Nika), and 3 sophomores (Caroline, Amari and Azzi), and 2 freshmen (Ayanna and Ice).

If you meant to compare the starting lineups, that's a bit trickier given the turmoil of last season. But a typical lineup toward the end of the season consisted of Christyn, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, and Olivia -- or 2 seniors, 1 sophomore, 2 freshmen. Next season, we are likely to see Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka -- or 1 grad student, 2 juniors and 2 sophomores. And given how much playing time Azzi and Caroline got last season, I don't think they will be any sort of liability against anyone.
A player coming out of Fairfield that has not played in a non mid major conference in basketball that won't start. And no the starting lineup was pretty easy last season when healthy: Edwards/Olivia/Williams/Paige.

Reaction Score
“When healthy” That’s quite a caveat. But sure, that was the lineup we expected last season.

Who would the fifth one be? It wouldn’t have been Nika. If you say Azzi, then you might as well say Caroline, and my point is made.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Patterson can't defend at the sf, and play offensively in a similar manner as Griffin?
This is the second time for this question, I think, and I’m puzzled. I never said she couldn’t defend the 3, though she may be slower than some of the folks she’s have to guard. I was only remarking that she’s strong enough to defend the 4, and maybe even occasionally the 5. At the 4, she’d be stronger than pretty much anyone else she’ll have to guard.

Sure, we could play Ayanna at the 3 and she’d do okay. But I tend to think of that position for Caroline (at 6’2”) and Lou and Aubrey. Ayanna’s best potential looks to me to be at the 4. Of course, Caroline could (and probably will) play the 2 sometimes. But I think of Paige and Azzi as having a lock on those spots most of the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In MHO- only position that may be a small give back ( and I’m not conceding that ) is at the 5 spot.
This remains to be revealed.
Dorka coming back healthy, with a year of UCONN experience under her belt will be a + over last year.
Aayliah’s trajectory continues upward.
Paige at 100%.
Azzi healthy and acclimated.
Nika also 100% and ready to create mayhem.
Caroline healthy and a significantly larger contributor.
Addition of a transfer shooter.
And MORE MUSCLE on the front line.
Amari - we’ll see ( hopeful).
Aubrey’s contributions would be a big plus- I remain hopeful but reserved. Back injuries are a crapshoot at any age.
Most anxious to observe a really tough OOC schedule.
“LET THE GAMES BEGIN”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
English is not Kaizen’s first language
I knew that. I was just poking a little fun at my buddy Kaizen. He knows my heart. Few are the posters that never make a typo here in the yard. :)

Reaction Score
This is the second time for this question, I think, and I’m puzzled. I never said she couldn’t defend the 3, though she may be slower than some of the folks she’s have to guard. I was only remarking that she’s strong enough to defend the 4, and maybe even occasionally the 5. At the 4, she’d be stronger than pretty much anyone else she’ll have to guard.

Sure, we could play Ayanna at the 3 and she’d do okay. But I tend to think of that position for Caroline (at 6’2”) and Lou and Aubrey. Ayanna’s best potential looks to me to be at the 4. Of course, Caroline could (and probably will) play the 2 sometimes. But I think of Paige and Azzi as having a lock on those spots most of the time.
Huh? I only asked this once. Maybe what you are saying is that you looked over my question again a 2nd time?

I agree with you-- I think Patterson's best in wcbb is as a 4. I read from Alyadar he is saying she is 6'3 3/4's - then she becomes even more of a 4/5. I see her as someone who can defend wings too as long as they aren't uber-quick guards.

I'm excited to see Amari and the freshmen. Just need one to play well and don't need them to be an "Honorable Mention A/A or better."

Reaction Score
I'm excited to see Amari and the freshmen. Just need one to play well and don't need them to be an "Honorable Mention A/A or better."
I'm holding out hope that all 3 play really well and become regular rotation players. I still remember how happy the players were in the BE tournament that they had two completes squads that could be subbed in and out. I have a feeling Geno won't have to work hard to sell them on the idea of a deep bench of rotation players this year.

Reaction Score
Huh? I only asked this once. Maybe what you are saying is that you looked over my question again a 2nd time?

I agree with you-- I think Patterson's best in wcbb is as a 4. I read from Alyadar he is saying she is 6'3 3/4's - then she becomes even more of a 4/5. I see her as someone who can defend wings too as long as they aren't uber-quick guards.

What I said was that she was a 6'3" wing/pf (3/4), not nearly 6'4", though I don't see why that would make a difference.
I haven't seen much of Patterson outside of 3X3. She towered over most of her HS opponents in the 2 games I watched. What first caught my attention at first was her foot speed. She is quick, like a guard. She can get from A to B in a flash, a key in rebounding and shot blocking. I'm sure she'll make lots of mistakes early but she will make highlight plays too.
What will get her more than fill-in minutes is her defense. She's starting out right in the S&C session.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm holding out hope that all 3 play really well and become regular rotation players. I still remember how happy the players were in the BE tournament that they had two completes squads that could be subbed in and out. I have a feeling Geno won't have to work hard to sell them on the idea of a deep bench of rotation players this year.
That would be utopia. Or like batting 1.000 in baseball. We have three candidates to make the team more of a conventional size team in Amari, Brady and Patterson. If all 3 hit that is 1.00. I think that is utopia.

In regards to "selling," it's upon the player to sell. Not Geno having to do the selling.

Reaction Score
What I said was that she was a 6'3" wing/pf (3/4), not nearly 6'4", though I don't see why that would make a difference.
I haven't seen much of Patterson outside of 3X3. She towered over most of her HS opponents in the 2 games I watched. What first caught my attention at first was her foot speed. She is quick, like a guard. She can get from A to B in a flash, a key in rebounding and shot blocking. I'm sure she'll make lots of mistakes early but she will make highlight plays too.
What will get her more than fill-in minutes is her defense. She's starting out right in the S&C session.
I misunderstood. I deserve a smack for not picking up your 3/4 reference. :):)

Each inch she is taller she is exponentially better imo. She's currently listed as 6'2. If she is 6'3 all the better.

Reaction Score
Only 15, geez, I thought they had 30 with 15 bigs. No, 11 is never enough,.....for me.
SCar could lose 6-8 players at the end of the season. Boston, Saxton, Beal, Cooke, Amihere and others. So Dawn needs a big roster and will likely have to dip into the portal.

UConn loses Juhasz & Senechal. Hopefully DeBerry Brady and Patterson will rotate with Edwards. It'll be a year to watch and learn for the freshmen guards as (hopefully) Bueckers Fudd Ducharme and Mühl dominate the back court.

Reaction Score
Right, that’s why I’ve said Paige hasn’t done anything yet and I took a beating. Paige apparently knows.
In fun-- the beating then was well deserved. I say this in fun; you're pretty bold to say this anonymously. But would you say it to your daughter or to Paige's face and to all of her teammates faces that a former NPOY who was also all-region - hasn't done anything yet? It seems like you are saying you either win a title or you are a bust? I know you didn't say that but she did refer to "all or nothing" which you seem to agree with and "nothing" can be construed as "exactly" "that." But I think you and some others get too carried away taking a younger player's comments way too literal.

Are you proud of her, or aren't you? If you are proud of her, then how is what she has done so far, "nothing?"

When I played basketball in the 18th century and lost, no family member could console me. Especially if I didn't perform well. You think it different now? OFC the young player is going to make comments like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom