Roster is updated | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roster is updated

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
None of those players remind me of Stewie, a healthy Tuck, Moriah, 2 lockdown defenders in Nurse, Williams.
Two outstanding freshmen in KLS, and Collier.
Did I miss something? Who compared this team to the 2016 Championship team? I thought we are discussing this season's roster, which hasn't even worked out as a complete team yet. Talk about a(n) (attempted) swerve...

Reaction Score
I'm not as astute as you but I would hope that Geno isn't anywhere near finished in picking up those 2 you want. With our guard package now, I'd like to see 2 or more 6 ft 7's or taller (I know, I'm a glutton). You'll excuse my ignorance, I hope, but you mentioned 2 unknown and one unproven quantities, Freshman as we know (whose first name isn't Paige, Caroline, AZZI) rarely hit the floor running in the Uconn scheme of the game.
Personally, I hope Ice and AYanna are all they can be and start, but I doubt it. Amari, can shoot, we saw that. But is she a post or a forward?? I'd like your views on those mentioned. Thanks.

If you want something over 6'5" you have to give the kitchen 2 years notice. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That is only 11 roasters. Do we need 1-2 more?
Absolutely.
Pulled groin and a twisted ankle and here we go again.
(and don’t think opponents aren’t going to physically ‘lean on’ Paige)

Reaction Score
I think 11 is pushing the envelope but it should help recruiting a little…right? Also I’m absolutely confident both Ayanna and Ice are going to be significant contributors next year. We have enough depth in a normal injury projection.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Who compared this team to the 2016 Championship team? I thought we are discussing this season's roster, which hasn't even worked out as a complete team yet. Talk about a(n) (attempted) swerve...
You did.
None of those players remind me of Stewie, a healthy Tuck, Moriah, 2 lockdown defenders in Nurse, Williams.

Reaction Score
That is the post I was referring to...it came out of nowhere.
Man what a team!!

Reaction Score
Talent wasn't an issue last year as much as having enough health bodies. 11 will work as long as we have a heathier season than last.
Not trying to start an argument. Just curious only-- you are saying this. Didn't we have arguments this past season that some of us saying the same thing you mention of injuries being an issue while others claimed injuries was nothing more than "excuse-making?" And weren't you on the side of those that felt injuries were an excuse? I'm asking this as question - nothing more. I'm not saying you were. I can't recall the "exact" arguments. . . And I realize that some posters said we would've won but the majority doesn’t. Many just acknowledge SC was the best and that they deserved the title.

And as a side note-- going into the championship game vs SC, UCONN was "more hurt" than they were in the November game. So what were their realistic chances of winning with all the injuries in addition to not having much time to play with each other as a unit as much during the course of a season? So wouldn't it be reasonable to say that the team had a great season for what they had to endure even though they didn't win a title? So with all things considered, if you were Geno and had to address the players at end of the season, you would tell them that they should be proud of what accomplished (with ofc a Goal to win it all next year)?

Reaction Score
There's a lot of posters on here who have trouble with the English language. ;)
It may be large fingers on small keyboards, as hands continue to grow as we age (if we keep working with our hands of course).
The average age here is North of 65 years-young....

Reaction Score
Not trying to start an argument. Just curious only-- you are saying this. Didn't we have arguments this past season that some of us saying the same thing you mention of injuries being an issue while others claimed injuries was nothing more than "excuse-making?" And weren't you on the side of those that felt injuries were an excuse? I'm asking this as question - nothing more. I'm not saying you were. I can't recall the "exact" arguments. . . And I realize that some posters said we would've won but the majority doesn’t. Many just acknowledge SC was the best and that they deserved the title.

And as a side note-- going into the championship game vs SC, UCONN was "more hurt" than they were in the November game. So what were their realistic chances of winning with all the injuries in addition to not having much time to play with each other as a unit as much during the course of a season? So wouldn't it be reasonable to say that the team had a great season for what they had to endure even though they didn't win a title? So with all things considered, if you were Geno and had to address the players at end of the season, you would tell them that they should be proud of what accomplished (with ofc a Goal to win it all next year)?
I would say it is "THE happiest I have ever been to be National Runner's Up! You all have battled through things that no one else have ever had to endure. Most of you still will be battling health issues to get ready for next year, but be proud of this accomplishment, and use it as a stepping stone. Once we are healthy as a team, WE GOT THIS!"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

We did not argue we had a difference of opinions.
Listen I’m a UCONN fan and like many others such as @meyers7 i would have loved to see UCONN going into the championship game with a healthy Dorka and Aubrey and a healthier Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Evina and ONO. I’m also a realist and not much in to morale victories, my position remains unchanged- healthier UCONN players would have made for a closer game but not a different outcome.

Reaction Score
Listen I’m a UCONN fan and like many others such as @meyers7 i would have loved to see UCONN going into the championship game with a healthy Dorka and Aubrey and a healthier Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Evina and ONO. I’m also a realist and not much in to morale victories, my position remains unchanged- healthier UCONN players would have made for a closer game but not a different outcome.
SC was just more experienced and seasoned and just played like a team that felt they should have won a title last season. I don't want to be a sour grapes person either and take something from SC, they aren't responsible for Uconn's injuries. And at least when both teams were healthy in November that game was played and well... we know what the score was. This season will be harder for Uconn as I feel there is not a veteran presence with only 1 "senior" and that player is coming off a serious injury and the other veteran Griffin didn't play all season so cause for concern.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think nearly everyone was in agreement with that with few exceptions.

Then wouldn't it be reasonable to say that the team had a great season for what they had to endure even though they didn't win a title? So with all things considered, if you were Geno and had to address the players at end of the season, you would tell them that they should be proud of what accomplished (with ofc a Goal to win it all next year)?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. I think nearly everyone was in agreement with that with few exceptions.

Then wouldn't it be reasonable to say that the team had a great season for what they had to endure even though they didn't win a title? So with all things considered, if you were Geno and had to address the players at end of the season, you would tell them that they should be proud of what accomplished (with ofc a Goal to win it all next year)?
With UCONN WBBB the "official" goal is always to win it all next year regardless or the prior season outcome. That is not going to change as long as Geno is coaching. If I'm Geno addressing the team I'm extremely proud of the season they had in beating Indiana, NCSt and Stanford to close the season. I also think Geno was very disappointed with the teams performance in the championship game and he would address that as well. In reality if the players aren't disappointed by the way the UCONN season ended then chances are they are no longer on this team. When the season starts and the players get a chance to talk you are not going to hear much about how they played vs NCSt and Stanford. Did you hear anyone mention of the Baylor game at the beginning of this past season? Of course not. Merely making it to a championship game is the stuff of legends at many other programs-not for UCONN.

Reaction Score

Paige said at UConn "it's national titles or nothing" so if she feels the season was a waste, why should we not feel the same way?

Reaction Score
My take on the injuries vs. roster size issue is that like Coco I think we had the talent last year, but an unusual level and concentration of injuries did us in, and like Hoop Huskie I thought it was a great season considering what they had to endure. I remain a little nervous about 11 for a couple of reasons, but realize that at this point that is likely what we are going with.

Last year we had by my definition 6 very capable guards/wings and in anything but a very unusual year for injuries, that is enough. Unfortunately we had a very unusual year for injuries, and it was even worse when it was concentrated in the guards and three out of the six were unavailable for several games. During that stretch we had no guard backups, the three we had needed to play close to 40 minutes, and the only relief was playing Aaliyah for a few minutes out of position at the 3.

That was a disaster when we had six guards. That happening again is very unlikely, but this year we go in with 5. If one is out we can manage with four guards pretty well, but if two are injured at the same time it would be a big problem again, but not quite as bad as last year, because at least defensively Aubrey and Ayanna are available to help out there, although IMO they are better at the 4.

The bigs are different, we have plenty of potential good players (6) for two positions, but many question marks. Dorka is close to a sure thing but even she is recovering from surgery, Aaliyah probably nails down another rotation spot but if she doesn't return to freshmen Aaliyah, nothing is guaranteed with new competitors, Aubrey is proven if healthy, but back surgery is serious, Amari appears talented but has shown little so far, and of course Ice and Ayanna look like very good prospects, but with freshmen who knows.

Personally I think the odds are very good we can get at least a very good 4 big rotation out of that group, but there are many unknowns regarding health and development.

There is a little bit of a risk with the guards on numbers, and the bigs with who can we count on with this roster of 11. If we have more average luck on injuries we are probably OK, but anything like last year and we will wind up wishing we had a couple more capable players IMO. Maybe we are due for some good luck!

Reaction Score
My take on the injuries vs. roster size issue is that like Coco I think we had the talent last year, but an unusual level and concentration of injuries did us in, and like Hoop Husky I thought it was a great season considering what they had to endure. I remain a little nervous about 11 for a couple of reasons, but realize that at this point that is likely what we are going with.

Last year we had by my definition 6 very capable guards/wings and in anything but a very unusual year for injuries, that is enough. Unfortunately we had a very unusual year for injuries, and it was even worse when it was concentrated in the guards and three out of the six were unavailable for several games. During that stretch we had no guard backups, the three we had needed to play close to 40 minutes, and the only relief was playing Aaliyah for a few minutes out of position at the 3.

That was a disaster when we had six guards. That happening again is very unlikely, but this year we go in with 5. If one is out we can manage with four guards pretty well, but if two are injured at the same time it would be a big problem again, but not quite as bad as last year, because at least defensively Aubrey and Ayanna are available to help out there, although IMO they are better at the 4.

The bigs are different, we have plenty of potential good players (6) for two positions, but many question marks. Dorka is close to a sure thing but even she is recovering from surgery, Aaliyah probably nails down another rotation spot but if she doesn't return to freshmen Aaliyah, nothing is guaranteed with new competitors, Aubrey is proven if healthy, but back surgery is serious, Amari appears talented but has shown little so far, and of course Ice and Ayanna look like very good prospects, but with freshmen who knows.

Personally I think the odds are very good we can get at least a very good 4 big rotation out of that group, but there are many unknowns regarding health and development.

There is a little bit of a risk with the guards on numbers, and the bigs with who can we count on with this roster of 11. If we have more average luck on injuries we are probably OK, but anything like last year and we will wind up wishing we had a couple more capable players IMO. Maybe we are due for some good luck!

Reaction Score
With UCONN WBBB the "official" goal is always to win it all next year regardless or the prior season outcome. That is not going to change as long as Geno is coaching. If I'm Geno addressing the team I'm extremely proud of the season they had in beating Indiana, NCSt and Stanford to close the season. I also think Geno was very disappointed with the teams performance in the championship game and he would address that as well. In reality if the players aren't disappointed by the way the UCONN season ended then chances are they are no longer on this team. When the season starts and the players get a chance to talk you are not going to hear much about how they played vs NCSt and Stanford. Did you hear anyone mention of the Baylor game at the beginning of this past season? Of course not. Merely making it to a championship game is the stuff of legends at many other programs-not for UCONN.
I don't hear them talk often-- especially not after 2 games or 3 games prior to the last one unless it is a massive upset or a historic accomplishment such as team never being to NCAA before etc. Just not sure why UCONN would mention 2/3 games prior after the season is over a prior game.

But anyhow, why as a coach would you say you are proud if not understood what you did prior to the title game? What it means is - that the other games prior to the the tile game made you proud, right? Otherwise, why be "proud?" And if the other games matter enough for you to be proud, then it would follow that it's okay to put those games in a positive light in a subjective manner, wouldn't it? Otherwise what is the point of saying that you are proud? There has to be a reason why you relay that to your team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige said at UConn "it's national titles or nothing" so if she feels the season was a waste, why should we not feel the same way?
DId the coach say it was a waste? I always listen to what coaches say more than players. Players learn more from coaches. It's the reason why they are a coach. Isn't it better to always listen more "to the teacher" than "the student?" They are coming to play for him. Not the other way around.

And are you saying if you met any of the players or any were your daughter let's say- you would have called this season "a waste" to their face in a serious manner?

And I'll ask you what I asked coco:
Wouldn't it be reasonable to say that the team had a great season for what they had to endure even though they didn't win a title? So with all things considered, if you were Geno and had to address the players at end of the season, would you tell them that they should be proud of what they accomplished (with ofc a Goal to win it all next year)?

Reaction Score
My take on the injuries vs. roster size issue is that like Coco I think we had the talent last year, but an unusual level and concentration of injuries did us in, and like Hoop Husky I thought it was a great season considering what they had to endure. I remain a little nervous about 11 for a couple of reasons, but realize that at this point that is likely what we are going with.

You reference Edwards as a sf and that was awful. She now has another year.

But imo just as important - last year before season started UCONN actually had 7 (add Griffin as a small forward). This year we have 7 too if you count Griffin and Patterson who are possibly capable "swing" defenders (Griff definitely is) and can guard on the perimeter and then you but them inside on offense.

OFC with what I'm saying above Griffin would have to be healthy. I suspect the coaching staff knows. And we'll see about Patterson.

Reaction Score

I agree, though I'd adjust your arithmetic a tiny bit. We will have 6 guards to begin the season and 5 bigs. Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Lou, and Aubrey. Clearly Aubrey isn't really a guard, but she could fill in at the 3 if needed. Of course, this means we'll have 6 bigs, too -- Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna, Ice, and Aubrey. In reality, Aubrey is the odd woman out, since she's a smallish (but very active) big, a ballhawk on rebounds, but drives the lane very well (more like a guard. What she lacks is a midrange jumper.

Reaction Score
I agree, though I'd adjust your arithmetic a tiny bit. We will have 6 guards to begin the season and 5 bigs. Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Lou, and Aubrey. Clearly Aubrey isn't really a guard, but she could fill in at the 3 if needed. Of course, this means we'll have 6 bigs, too -- Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna, Ice, and Aubrey. In reality, Aubrey is the odd woman out, since she's a smallish (but very active) big, a ballhawk on rebounds, but drives the lane very well (more like a guard. What she lacks is a midrange jumper.
Why do you think Patterson can't defend at the sf, and play offensively in a similar manner as Griffin?

My post to oldhuskie didn't come out right. She was bad as a sf. I didn't mean his post was bad. :)He was spot on which is why I gave him a like. Just saying what you are in a way - but I think we have 7 players not 6 with maybe even Edwards- with another year she could get better.

This is why injuries killed UCONN last year. A full season gives you chances to experiment and work on things unlike last year UCONN was just trying to "survive."

Reaction Score
Right, that’s why I’ve said Paige hasn’t done anything yet and I took a beating. Paige apparently knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom