Roster is updated | The Boneyard

Roster is updated

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Looks good. Puts to rest my wondering (and thread) if Caroline would keep her #33 or swap it for her H.S. number, 13.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That is only 11 roasters. Do we need 1-2 more?
How many people are you trying to feed with those roasters? Eleven should be plenty. :rolleyes:

But, seriously, I think last year showed us what happens when you have too much talent vying for too few minutes. We don’t want to lose any of the nine with remaining eligibility or upset team chemistry, so on we roll with 11.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many people are you trying to feed with those roasters? Eleven should be plenty. :rolleyes:

But, seriously, I think last year showed us what happens when you have too much talent vying for too few minutes. We don’t want to lose any of the nine with remaining eligibility or upset team chemistry, so we on we roll with 11.
Talent wasn't an issue last year as much as having enough health bodies. 11 will work as long as we have a heathier season than last.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This leaves a slight mystery as to what will happen with Piath. After she didn't appear to get much interest in the transfer portal, I thought that she might come back to UConn (which is permitted), but it looks like that is not happening.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

But, seriously, I think last year showed us what happens when you have too much talent vying for too few minutes. We don’t want to lose any of the nine with remaining eligibility or upset team chemistry, so we on we roll with 11.
Argonaut, be nice. I thought going into the recruitment and selection period of this time of the year, Geno would have picked up two players. A guard and a BIG.

We’ll never know who (or to how many) he made offers to. Perhaps he did try to secure a big, and maybe not. It very well could be he likes what he sees in Dorka, Amari and Isuneh, and is confident (as a group) they can get the job done.

Reaction Score
That is only 11 roasters. Do we need 1-2 more?
I had the same thoughts. Last year possible the largest Roster in many years was barely enough to field 5. I'm obviously not Geno, but I'd be more comfortable with 15.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Argonaut, be nice. I thought going into the recruitment and selection period of this time of the year, Geno would have picked up two players. A guard and a BIG.

We’ll never know who (or to how many) he made offers to. Perhaps he did try to secure a big, and maybe not. It very well could be he likes what he sees in Dorka, Amari and Isuneh, and is confident (as a group) they can get the job done.
I’m totally being nice. On both fronts.

I legitimately do get a chuckle when a typo turns a mundane statement into something silly.

As for roster size, I think that if Mir or Saylor would have shown up between 2017 and 2020, they both would have been contributing in a way closer to what they expected because the minutes were available. And team chemistry is just so tricky. I know there were players in the portal who UConn expressed interest in and chose to go somewhere else, but I’m sure there were other talented players who the coaching staff, for whatever reason, knew wouldn’t be a fit for the program as a whole.

When I’m talking about team chemistry, I’m not saying that everyone we don’t want or take (or who leaves) is a bad apple, but sometimes we’re making nachos and an apple just isn’t on the recipe card.

Reaction Score

I'm not as astute as you but I would hope that Geno isn't anywhere near finished in picking up those 2 you want. With our guard package now, I'd like to see 2 or more 6 ft 7's or taller (I know, I'm a glutton). You'll excuse my ignorance, I hope, but you mentioned 2 unknown and one unproven quantities, Freshman as we know (whose first name isn't Paige, Caroline, AZZI) rarely hit the floor running in the Uconn scheme of the game.
Personally, I hope Ice and AYanna are all they can be and start, but I doubt it. Amari, can shoot, we saw that. But is she a post or a forward?? I'd like your views on those mentioned. Thanks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, 11 is a little short. Especially with CFD, Juhasz, and Griffin coming off injuries. A couple injuries and you're short 5v5 on the road.

Who knows maybe they'll pick up a walk-on when the school year starts???? Other than that, I don't see anyone coming.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

But, seriously, I think last year showed us what happens when you have too much talent vying for too few minutes. We don’t want to lose any of the nine with remaining eligibility or upset team chemistry, so on we roll with 11.
English is not Kaizen’s first language

Reaction Score
I’m totally being nice. On both fronts.

I legitimately do get a chuckle when a typo turns a mundane statement into something silly.

As for roster size, I think that if Mir or Saylor would have shown up between 2017 and 2020, they both would have been contributing in a way closer to what they expected because the minutes were available. And team chemistry is just so tricky. I know there were players in the portal who UConn expressed interest in and chose to go somewhere else, but I’m sure there were other talented players who the coaching staff, for whatever reason, knew wouldn’t be a fit for the program as a whole.

When I’m talking about team chemistry, I’m not saying that everyone we don’t want or take (or who leaves) is a bad apple, but sometimes we’re making nachos and an apple just isn’t on the recipe card.
I completely missed the typo, fun find. Nice comment.
I agree on Saylor and Mir both had the potential to help. I don't have to teach or plan for 15 so I can hope for that many, we see SC with what like (kidding) twice as many and we've had need for all 15.
Chemistry develops over time. Once in a while a not nice human enters and it goes to blazes, but often times with player that want to play--it works out. I'm not concerned much with Chemistry--the kids now on the roster, include really great humans from last year, we'll do more than fine.
Last Paragraph/sentence--don't walk on egg shells, your meaning was apparent and good.

Reaction Score
Talent wasn't an issue last year as much as having enough health bodies. 11 will work as long as we have a heathier season than last.
None of those players remind me of Stewie, a healthy Tuck, Moriah, 2 lockdown defenders in Nurse, Williams.
Two outstanding freshmen in KLS, and Collier.

Reaction Score

I'm not attempting to start an argument, just seeking information. Did I miss something? I thought everyone got more minutes than they were physically or medically capable of getting. I too thought the chemistry was A-typical of a Uconn team.
I saw and enjoyed the Sue, Shea, Sveta years and for some "PT was monitored" because players wanted more than equal time. All those on those teams from 98 to now I liked and respected. A lost soul here and there. KJ looked lost but in conversations she was great to talk to.
What happened with too much talent vying for minutes--I missed that completely!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
None of those players remind me of Stewie, a healthy Tuck, Moriah, 2 lockdown defenders in Nurse, Williams. Two outstanding freshmen in KLS, and Collier.
I was just watching replays of the 2016 season, and that was an awesome team. Stewie could go 0 for 11 in the first half and finish with 25 points and 13 rebounds. They also played awesome defense — just thinking of those battles between Moriah and Courtney Williams on USF. And the ball movement was so quick it was hard to follow. That was crisp.

They were also capable of significant lulls, when their D would get lazy and they’d give up lots of offensive rebounds. But then Geno would talk them back into shape between quarters and they’d crush an opponent.

This year’s team was never as sharp as 2016. But they also didn’t play together for very long because of injuries. The team they brought to the NC game had only had a few weeks together. Barring injury, maybe they’ll develop similar qualities this year. But as awesome as Paige is, I don’t think she can be what Stewie was to those teams. I mean, Paige is an awesome 1 & 2. But Stewie was an outstanding 2 through 5, and could probably have been a serviceable 1 if needed.

Reaction Score
Is Ice her birth name? Cool! ;) Will Paige have them to update her last name on the official roster to Buckets?

Reaction Score
Eleven could be a little thin given some have experienced injury issues. Personally I like to see rosters 12 or 13 because there is really no way of knowing what will happen. Last year MSU played with 7 scholarship players due to injuries and attrition by the end of the season. Not saying it will happen of course but better safe than sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom