Roscoe to watch tourney on TV | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roscoe to watch tourney on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
johnhuskies95 said:
What, like he wasn't going to get minutes here?

Not necessarily, he wasn't getting minutes in the 2012 season, and he should have been. Add in the negative influence of AO, a looming post season ban, JC's constant retirement talk, Olander getting tons of minutes and Deandre Daniels looming presence and you find plenty of reasons to look for a fresh start. Roscoe was very justified in making the decision he did.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily, he wasn't getting minutes in the 2012 season, and he should have been. Add in the negative influence of AO, a looming post season ban, JC's constant retirement talk, Olander getting tons of minutes and Deandre Daniels looming presence and you find plenty of reasons to look for a fresh start. Roscoe was very justified in making the decision he did.[/quo

Call it justified but the one's who stayed are the one's who deserve the thread not the one's who departed! I am certainly a bigger fan of Tyler Olander than I am Roscoe Smith……..

Reaction Score
I like Roscoe and wish him well. I just think that both Roscoe and UConn would have been better of if he stayed.
Somewhat ironic how he could have had all the playing time he wanted if he had stayed, combined with broader and more TV market exposure.

Reaction Score

I agree. I am just making it clear, the loss of Roscoe Smith is not entirely or even mostly on Roscoe. JC could have and should have done better to use him and nurture him. It's easy to compare Roscoe to Shabazz, Olander and Giffey and say, "well they stayed". Of course they stayed, Shabazz was the clear and only option as starting pg, Olander was starting PF at a blue blood school despite limited skills and Giffey probably wouldn't want to transfer and adapt to another school after settling in to UConn as an international student. Roscoe left because JC up. Sometimes coaches make a mistake, this was one of them. Given where we were as a program that year, JC should have pleaded with Roscoe to stay, but JC isn't that type of guy.

Reaction Score
2012 probably wasn't JC's best coaching job but there were major chemistry and attitude problems on that team. We don't know what was going on behind the scenes and we weren't in practice everyday either. Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie were and they clearly didn't think he earned more minutes in 2012. Sorry but I'll trust their judgement over some of you nuts on the Boneyard haha

Reaction Score
I agree. I am just making it clear, the loss of Roscoe Smith is not entirely or even mostly on Roscoe. JC could have and should have done better to use him and nurture him. It's easy to compare Roscoe to Shabazz, Olander and Giffey and say, "well they stayed". Of course they stayed, Shabazz was the clear and only option as starting pg, Olander was starting PF at a blue blood school despite limited skills and Giffey probably wouldn't want to transfer and adapt to another school after settling in to UConn as an international student. Roscoe left because JC up. Sometimes coaches make a mistake, this was one of them. Given where we were as a program that year, JC should have pleaded with Roscoe to stay, but JC isn't that type of guy.

I will disagree on that for sure. I guess everyone forgets how God awful he was the beginning of his sophomore year……he was a TO machine, couldn't make a shot and wasn't playing hard like the year prior. JC did what he had to do…..a couple guys came in after resting on their laurels from the year before you don't nurture that you taketh away and he did……..be stronger in mind and don't rebel, fight your way back. He didn't he rode the AO train right out of here and I really don't care.

Reaction Score
2012 probably wasn't JC's best coaching job but there were major chemistry and attitude problems on that team. We don't know what was going on behind the scenes and we weren't in practice everyday either. Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie were and they clearly didn't think he earned more minutes in 2012. Sorry but I'll trust their judgement over some of you nuts on the Boneyard haha

I do agree with your post in that there were serious chemistry issues. I just don't think Roscoe was at the center of them.

Look through some of the 2012 box scores and you will see games where TO played 25 + minutes and Roscoe played 5-10. That was just inexcusable. I believe he also had a DNP-CD.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I liked Roscoe. He played with heart and pride. And my philosophy is "Once a Husky, always a Husky." Having said that, I think it was a mistake that he transferred, and I'm guessing he may feel the same way about that too. It was his decision, so he'll have to live with it. But I'll echo some of the previous posters' thoughts about how much more it makes me respect people like Napier, Olander, etc., for sticking it out in Storrs...

Reaction Score
If that's the worst thing that happens in his life then I think he'll be okay. If leaving UCONN under is own will is what is unfortunate he had no one to blame but himself. I don't find it inappropriate to LOL at his decision, especially when it was at his own hand.

So, in short, you don't find it inappropriate to laugh at good faith decisions of young men that end up not working. What a jerk

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's easy to compare Roscoe to Shabazz, Olander and Giffey and say, "well they stayed". Of course they stayed, Shabazz was the clear and only option as starting pg
Going into last year there was a lot of feeling that Boatright would surpass Napier. Shabazz's jump from sophomore to junior year was huge.
People don't want to hear it, but the only difference between Roscoe and Oriakhi was their talk. They both left under defensible circumstances, Oriakhi even more so because he was going to lose his last shot at the postseason. But he had to go and badmouth Calhoun on the way out, which was not smart. Roscoe said nothing.

Reaction Score
I would guess that as a group we are pretty evenly divided on the issue of Roscoe's transfer. I just think we lost a good rebounder and defender from a team that can't rebound and can't defend bigger guys and tall wings----and we lost him because Olander took his minutes. It was a screw up no matter what a few old box scores say, he was only a sophomore. His ceiling was much higher than Olander's.

Coaches aren't infallible and JC has a history of misjudging players like Roscoe, including Cleveland Melvin and Marcus White. It was a boondoggle and I'm not so sure just writing it off as Roscoe being misguided is fair. JC is a stubborn guy and when you are in his dog house I don't think it seems like there is a way out. There is a way out, but it's probably hard to see it and if you don't handle it perfectly, you find yourself right back in it. I like both JC and Roscoe, I just wish they worked it out, we'd be a much better team. I blame both of them.

Reaction Score
People don't want to hear it, but the only difference between Roscoe and Oriakhi was their talk.

I can only speak for myself, but I do think that most people realize and understand this. And this is why we respect Roscoe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nah, Roscoe left because he felt his future was as a 3 and he knew that would not happen here. As it turned out, it wasn't happening anywhere else either. Still, as I said previously, I have no ill feeling for the kid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Going into last year there was a lot of feeling that Boatright would surpass Napier. Shabazz's jump from sophomore to junior year was huge.
People don't want to hear it, but the only difference between Roscoe and Oriakhi was their talk. They both left under defensible circumstances, Oriakhi even more so because he was going to lose his last shot at the postseason. But he had to go and badmouth Calhoun on the way out, which was not smart. Roscoe said nothing.
Well and his dad wrote some pretty hateful stuff while Oriakhi was here. While I appreciate Oriakhi's efforts here, and without him we likely don't win in 11, he spent his good will. I will follow and wish good things for Roscoe, Alex is dead to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself, but I do think that most people realize and understand this. And this is why we respect Roscoe.

I respect AO more because he was vital for getting that 3rd ring, All-tourney team. Roscoe was a nice bench player. Talk is cheap. AO got effed with worse than Scoe. No one here grouses when they get screwed?

pj

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong about Roscoe's decision he decided to transfer it happens all the time, its his life. He at least left in a classy way unlike someone else.

I would guess that as a group we are pretty evenly divided on the issue of Roscoe's transfer. I just think we lost a good rebounder and defender from a team that can't rebound and can't defend bigger guys and tall wings----and we lost him because Olander took his minutes. It was a screw up no matter what a few old box scores say, he was only a sophomore. His ceiling was much higher than Olander's.

Coaches aren't infallible and JC has a history of misjudging players like Roscoe, including Cleveland Melvin and Marcus White. It was a boondoggle and I'm not so sure just writing it off as Roscoe being misguided is fair. JC is a stubborn guy and when you are in his dog house I don't think it seems like there is a way out. There is a way out, but it's probably hard to see it and if you don't handle it perfectly, you find yourself right back in it. I like both JC and Roscoe, I just wish they worked it out, we'd be a much better team. I blame both of them.

Yes. I would no more hold Roscoe's decision to transfer against him, after he brought us a championship with class and dignity, than I would hold Jim Calhoun's late-years coaching failings (such as his poor handling of Roscoe vis-a-vis AO, TO, Drummond) against him after he built up UConn basketball and brought us 3 national championships. Both deserve our honor and respect.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Too bad for Roscoe, having said that he ditched UConn so who cares?

And for those who said he would have helped tremendously yeah in the world of hypotheticals I guess, but who wouldn't be here on this roster if he stayed?

It all worked out for the best………...

Nolan or Facey. He left. It doesn't matter. But he brings the skill we most lacked this season. We would have been better with him. Without a doubt.

C

Chief00

I am not crazy about Roscoe's decision making, however I do think George's influence on JC to give Tyler playing time in 2011/2012 season may have squeezed minutes for both Roscoe and Alex........and in part lead to their disenchantment. In hindsight wrong decision.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was a defensive menace during our title run. I'd argue he was the anchor of the whole defense during March.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was a defensive menace during our title run. I'd argue he was the anchor of the whole defense during March.

He was good but man you guys overhype this guy in a huge way……..

And if Facey becomes a real good player it will be for the best……funny how people say "they played Tyler over him and Roscoe had the higher ceiling"???? No he had a higher ceiling but he was dreadful most of the year and struggled like Omar coming off the bench……do people honestly believe JC would play Tyler over Roscoe if there wasn't something going on behind the scenes or in practice……or a life lesson which he didn't handle too well……..

Good kid while here, he left though……..we're playing with who stayed and I love that he's not!

Reaction Score
So, in short, you don't find it inappropriate to laugh at good faith decisions of young men that end up not working. What a jerk
Correct, when someone makes a decision because it is easier than sticking through with something that might be more difficult, to not have that decision pan out as they had thought, I laugh. Its an incredibly horrible personality trait to leave when the going gets tough, rather than sticking it out.

Reaction Score
So your theory now is that people shouldn't make what they view to be the best career decisions for themselves, but should make what they view to be not as good career decisions just because they are "tougher?" And that was said to make me and others think that you are not an idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom