Roscoe Leaving | The Boneyard

Roscoe Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Jeff Goodman CBS:

Roscoe Smith gets his release from UConn, his father told CBSSports.

Reaction Score
Can we get it all out of the way like a fast yank of the tooth instead of this staggered, drawn out, miserable mess?

Reaction Score
Wow.
Is it bad that my first thought was, "crap. Guy had major heart."
And my second thought was, "I hope this doesn't negatively affect the APR."

I can't blame him or anybody else on the team for leaving. Fact is, if they stay, they're being punished for bad grades that they didn't get. Also, missing the tourni just sucks.

Can't say I'm shocked. He was benched early in the year in favor of a freshman who ended up being far inferior to him. That can't have sat well with him. He also lost time to Olander, who was cupcake dominator but otherwise so-so. It would not be unfair of RS to think that he didn't get a fair shake last year.

I wonder if this was more - no touri or unhappy with JC?

Roscoe - thank you for your contribution to the team. You exemplified UConn Ball, and you were a critical component of the 2011 NC. Thank you and good luck.

Reaction Score
Wow. There goes our frontcourt. I mean what do we have TO and EW as our starters with no backups. Wow going to be a real long year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go ahead and call that bad news.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This news is shocking. At this point who would be shocked if nobody came back?

I thought we could compete potentially and be respectable after lamb, Alex and AD left, but this is a huge blow.

Reaction Score
Wow. There goes our frontcourt. I mean what do we have TO and EW as our starters with no backups. Wow going to be a real long year.
In unrelated news, it's been mathematically proven that the formula for success (S) in NCAA mens basketball competition is S=x+y+z+5q^5(4!), wherein said equation S does not contain more than two large, slow white guys.

Reaction Score
Yeah and it is all frontcourt players leaving now. Wonder when the backcourt players say I will have nobody inside to balance the court and I'm screwed. So then they will leave also. Could be trouble brewing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Holy . Very bad news, and very surprising.

Reaction Score
What major program could he go to and play more than he would at Uconn ? Seems like some of these kids have no dedication - too bad just really disappointing.

Reaction Score
On a serious note, and I hope this is not too soon, I refer to the pithy Chinese aphorism:

When one door closes, another opens.

This is GO time for our coaching staff. There is talent out there. Now is the time to get it. Think long term. Think program.

I have faith in JC and KO that, come October, we will suck.

I mean, we will put on the court a team that is substantially better than what currently appears possible, given the departure of everybody.

Has the towel boy been given his official release yet?

Is Jonathan Husky thinking of bolting to Washington?

Can we use this opportunity to off load a couple of the heftier cheerleaders?

Reaction Score
That is not good. Thanks for your help with the title

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Guess he saw the writing on the wall...no front court help meant he was going to be playing a lot of the 4 next year.

Good luck wherever you end up, Roscoe. Whatever team gets you will be getting much better quickly.

Reaction Score
Lack of loyalty is really bothersome. I understand not being able to play in the NCAA tourney, but when you play for a team you stick with them through ups and downs. Really not a big fan of all these guys ditching the program
Of course, on the other hand, loyalty, perhaps, needs to flow in two directions.
AO and RS were key components on a championship team.
They were, essentially, told 5 months later, as a junior/sophomore coming off a NC that, "you need to earn your playing time as if it was day 1." From two freshmen who weren't even on the team until late summer.
They could reasonably have seen that as a lack of loyalty to them.
In the end, neither Drummond nor DD provided more than what AO or RS would have.
So, really, to be completely fair, I won't say that RS or AO showed a lack of loyalty that was greater than what was shown to them; they were, essentially, told that this is a business in which you must constantly prove yourself if you want court time and exposure. Their decision to leave was a business decision in the same way.
This isn't the rec league.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Does he have to sit out a year?
Most likely, unless he can bring up some hardship excuse with a sick/ailing/aging grandma, etc. We should play in practice gear during all our games next year, since our program is being gutted.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if there have been other programs banned from post-season that have had the number of departures that UConn has had, even accounting for the kids going NBA early? We now have kids going into senior and junior years, both of whom have already won an NC, heading out. Obviously neither had stellar seasons this year and are capable players even if erratic, but if they feel mistreated, then one thing we know and they know is that this coach normally goes by what he sees during practices and then during games. The post-season is clearly the goal, but as Jamal Coombs-McDaniel can tell them, it is not the end all. We are talking, counting the BE tournament, potentially as many as 11 games, not insignificant, to as few as 1 game and everything in between. It's magnificent to be 20 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom