Rosa changed the momentum of the game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rosa changed the momentum of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So because he’s talented we look the other way? JFC. He rips off a great 71 yarder and then puts us in a hole. That’s his role FFS
Relax. It was a mistake he knowledged it. Everybody moves on. If you think Rosa lost that game for us, I strongly suggest you go back and rewatch it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Relax. It was a mistake he knowledged it. Everybody moves on. If you think Rosa lost that game for us, I strongly suggest you go back and rewatch it.
So true…the offense had one sustained drive all night. Couldn’t move the ball at all when they needed to in the fourth quarter. It’s only a winnable game if the offense can sustain drives and they weren’t up to that task. Add to that all the extra yardage given up after first contact by the D due to poor tackling and it’s a recipe for an L.

Reaction Score
Tough to blame the guy who scored all of our 14 points. Honestly, just as much on the ST Coordinator for not telling us to kick out of bounds on the kickoff. Put them at the 35. But even more than that, it's tough to win a game when the WRs are dropping balls left and right and can't get open. We also needed to take a risk and bring more pressure on third down. They couldn't pass well and we kept giving up the 3rd down scramble without changing much as the game went on.
NO. The penalty is an amount of yardage from where the kickoff takes place. When you move the kick off back 15 yards, kicking out of bounds would have the ball spotted at the 50, not the 35.

Reaction Score
He made a mistake, he'll learn from it. I'm like someone else, said he was the only offense in the second half.

Coaches weren't too mad, because he came in to start the next series. As opposed to Brewton, who didn't play after he was in the wrong place and ran into our WR trying to take a shovel pass and running in the other direction.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NO. The penalty is an amount of yardage from where the kickoff takes place. When you move the kick off back 15 yards, kicking out of bounds would have the ball spotted at the 50, not the 35.

NC St starting at the 50 would have been a better option for UConn.

Reaction Score

Shortcut <<

-> “A moment like that for Vic, hometown hero, breaks a long one, gets us close,” coach Jim Mora said. “He just had a momentary lapse in judgement, which is not like him. Love him to death, man. He's going to do great things around here for the next couple of years.”

Asked if he knew Rosa would be penalized as soon as he somersaulted, Mora said, “I didn't see it. I knew he was going to score. In my mind, it's ‘What do we do next?’ Then I saw them flag him. I didn't even see him dive into the end zone. We've just got to make better decisions. They're going to call it. It is a rule.” <-

-> “Yeah, in high school I used to do all that type of crazy stuff,” Rosa said. “But that’s high school, not this level. I’ve got to stay disciplined and I’ll never do that again.” <-

Reaction Score
That hurt us but I'm of the mindset that it's an incredibly stupid rule. 20 year old kids playing a game that is supposed to be fun.
Agree it is but you know what’s even more stupid, summersaulting into the end zone knowing it’s a 15 yarder.

Reaction Score

Somersault to article <<

-> But … self-inflicted wounds. “Excuse my language, but dumb penalties,” defensive back Durante Jones said. “Like, we hurt ourselves. Like, things that we know we’re not supposed to do, we did it. The extra things. The late hits, excessive celebration, stuff that we usually don’t do as a team. And it showed. You can’t do things like that in the heat of the moment. Eventually it’s going to play a part in the game.

“It’s frustrating because it was a game all the way to the end, we should’ve won that ballgame. That’s stuff we don’t do. Excessive celebration, that’s not the type of team we are. Like, not to single anybody out, but when have you seen somebody diving in the end zone? That ain’t stuff we do. Coach don’t teach that.”

Okay, so on this heady, exuberant night to be UConn football player, the Huskies got a little too exuberant for their own good, a little ahead of themselves. Rosa, who rose from fifth on the depth chart to an important backfield role as a freshmen due to a rash of injuries, is rising again on merit. Bulked up to 205 pounds, he had surprising afterburners, just disappeared in the distance and the ACC-level defenders could not catch him.

And it’s easy to love all of that, easy to love a lot of what we saw Thursday night. Just don’t go head over heels … it’s a rule.. <-

Reaction Score
That was the weakest celebration ever…. Tumbling a bit as you finish a play,,, Hmmm when they scored seemed to be much more what most people would call celebrating.

There were many calls last night the left me wondering where the ref crew was from and motives.

Like the two pass interference callers that drastically changed the game. Or at the of game where there was clearly a PI in the endzone on NC State and the refs decide to call the games first holding penalty on us and no flag in end zone.

Umm the QB for state was quick and effective runner but he has some help with some holds - can’ t believe that the refs pulled that one out of their hats.

NC State must have loved their visit to the Rent.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Still better than the 27 especially considering our kicker didn’t get it past the 5 all night.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
In hindsight.
Not even hindsight, coaches should have seen we could t buy a touchback all night, they returned our kicks for 15-25 all night, that compounded with the penalty should have triggered a just kick it out of bounds thought.

Reaction Score
The RB were the only bright side on offense. The Oline did there job as best they could, but the passing game outside of the first drive was abysmal. Rosa just got caught in the moment. There's worse things for a 19 year old things to do on the field than that. What's really bothering me though is kickoffs were all to between the 10 and 15 yard line. NC State's kick was knocking them out of the end zone. That's almost 30 yards further than our kicker. That's going to seriously put the defense in a lot of poor field positions.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
That was the weakest celebration ever…. Tumbling a bit as you finish a play,,, Hmmm when they scored seemed to be much more what most people would call celebrating.

There were many calls last night the left me wondering where the ref crew was from and motives.

Like the two pass interference callers that drastically changed the game. Or at the of game where there was clearly a PI in the endzone on NC State and the refs decide to call the games first holding penalty on us and no flag in end zone.

Umm the QB for state was quick and effective runner but he has some help with some holds - can’ t believe that the refs pulled that one out of their hats.

NC State must have loved their visit to the Rent.
Or the 3rd down that was 2yds short that they magically gifted a first down inside the five. That drastically changed the feel of that game. I have picture of it but it won’t let me upload it.

Reaction Score
Still better than the 27 especially considering our kicker didn’t get it past the 5 all night.
So if you want to second guess something, ask why McFadden was kicking off instead of Ruelas. I have no issue with taking the staff's word that McFadden won the place kicking job in camp, but we know from last year Ruelas has more leg on kickoffs than McFadden showed last night. We've had other years where we have someone kickoff who is not the starting placekicker. Chad Christen I think comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard for me to just give Rosa a pass because he scored the 2 TD's. He's not a freshman, he's supposed to be a veteran player, and veteran players DON'T DO WHAT HE DID. You can say the injury timeout caused the letdown, but let's be real; if we aren't kicking from our own 20 because of Rosa's dumb penalty (and it was a dumb penalty) they don't get that kind of field position. It's reasonable to say we wouldn't have had a late hit penalty on that return (15 more yards) and the injury timeout would not have occurred. I'm not saying demote him from the rotation, but I hope the coaches use this as a teaching moment on how these "look at me" demonstrations can come back to haunt you in college ball.

All that being said, the Defense under performed last night as well, I haven't seen tackling that bad in a while, and they could not contain their QB when he scrambled.

Reaction Score
Agree it is but you know what’s even more stupid, summersaulting into the end zone knowing it’s a 15 yarder.
I doubt that was what he was thinking. He just made a great run and justifiably over-excited. I don't think he did it to taunt the other team or was even thinking about that. I don't like the rule but it probably stems from guys who score and then do a dance (or worse) in the end zone, as in the NFL.

There did seem to be a lot of jawing going on last night, and one time when we almost had a fight.

Reaction Score
I doubt that was what he was thinking. He just made a great run and justifiably over-excited. I don't think he did it to taunt the other team or was even thinking about that.
From the Amore article above:

-> Rosa’s a sophomore, and if the somersault was sophomoric, his response was admirably mature, professional.

“You’ll never see that again from me,” Rosa said. “Diving into the end zone like that, that killed us. I wasn’t aware of the situation, playing fast, but diving into the end zone, it was foolish of me to do, and selfish. I take full responsibility.”

It’s the kind of crazy stuff, Rosa said, he’d do in high school. “That’s high school, not this level,” he said. “I’ve got to stay disciplined and never do that again.” <-

Reaction Score
Or the 3rd down that was 2yds short that they magically gifted a first down inside the five. That drastically changed the feel of that game. I have picture of it but it won’t let me upload it.
I had a hard time seeing that from my seats which were 600FT above Sea Level.

I really don’t like posting about refs - no really I don’t.. But last night it was not only bad but made you wonder about possible motives.

They did not work together good as a crew. Some calls they should have had a quick roundtable on - they did not.

This said, the refs did not cost us the game, so please save any responses as such.

That said, all I want is a somewhat non biased, fair game - 6 costly penalties to 1?????? There was something off last night.

Reaction Score
He’d be upset he was top of the depth chart?
Well I do not know how he would feel and I should have phrased it differently. He should be upset if he gets moved up the depth chart, as he did a non-football related thing that potentially cost the team the win. I would not want a precedent to be set with my teammates where everyone can ball out and then do stupid stuff and cost the game, then get rewarded for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom