Rodney Selvie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Selvie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those two back doors had me counting to twenty. But overall he and Rodney are proving to be solid. Can't say the same for OC or DHam. Ryan is in a class above every one else. He is an extraordinary defender who has improved considerably from his sophomore season. TSam and RP are only sophomores. Hopefully they'll continue to improve.

My take is that RP has improved considerably on defense from the beginning of this season. Of course it has been against ECU and Tulane, but definitely better than what he showed preseason.
boatright has not contained the ball very well this year at all. he gets blown by alot frankly, but still is decent in passing lanes etc. reminiscent of his sophmore year. in the ncaas last year he was containing the ball and not allowing multiple dribble drives. OC and dham ball watch a ton and dont focus enough i agree, but i'm gonna go ahead and give hamilton some leeway. he is a raw defender with good upside, OC i can't say the same he is who he is on that end. he will get backdoored to death for eternity

Reaction Score
RP has a little (or a lot) of DHam in him. He makes just enough great plays to barely eclipse the bonehead ones.
DHam is a great player who is working his way through is freshman year. He has a great natural shooting stroke, excellent ball control, and rebounds energetically. He averages 7 boards, 3 assists, and 1 steal per game. He has a good nose for the ball and a good head for the game.

Purvis is a problematic player in his 3rd year who hasn't improved since he arrived at college. He has an awkward shooting stroke, a weak handle, and rebounds lethargically. He averages 2 boards, 1 assist, and less than 1 steal per game. He has no nose for the ball and horrible BBall IQ.

DHam is an NBA prospect who will do wonderful things at UConn before he leaves, and he'll be well respected and liked by all at that point.
Purvis will make you want to throw him through windows regularly, as he keeps both teams in the game simultaneously, and will eventually supplant Dyson as the most polarizing player in the JC/Ollie era. He has zero chance of making the NBA.

Reaction Score
DHam is a great player who is working his way through is freshman year. He has a great natural shooting stroke, excellent ball control, and rebounds energetically. He averages 7 boards, 3 assists, and 1 steal per game. He has a good nose for the ball and a good head for the game.

Purvis is a problematic player in his 3rd year who hasn't improved since he arrived at college. He has an awkward shooting stroke, a weak handle, and rebounds lethargically. He averages 2 boards, 1 assist, and less than 1 steal per game. He has no nose for the ball and horrible BBall IQ.

DHam is an NBA prospect who will do wonderful things at UConn before he leaves, and he'll be well respected and liked by all at that point.
Purvis will make you want to throw him through windows regularly, as he keeps both teams in the game simultaneously, and will eventually supplant Dyson as the most polarizing player in the JC/Ollie era. He has zero chance of making the NBA.
Spot on

Reaction Score

Were the rest of us just dreaming that he took over the game down the stretch yesterday?

Reaction Score

Again with this Rodney doesn't reboud. Ask Ollie about it, because if he hates the fact that Rodney leaks out after every shot, maybe Ollie should tell him to rebound the ball instead.

The fact that Rodney is trying for fast breaks instead of rebounding, this far into the season, tells me that this is by design.

Reaction Score
The fact that Rodney is trying for fast breaks instead of rebounding, this far into the season, tells me that this is by design.
Apparently they had the same design at NC State.

Maybe, also by design, he's not supposed to pass to an open man who can make a shot, and, again, NC State apparently had that exact same design. Let's call it the "Rodney don't pass and don't rebound" design.

I guess what really agitates me about Rodney is that the way he plays the game, mostly, contrary to the way I think the game should be played. And his style of play is not one I associate with winning.

Reaction Score

Maybe, also by design, he's not supposed to pass to an open man who can make a shot, and, again, NC State apparently had that exact same design. Let's call it the "Rodney don't pass and don't rebound" design.

I guess what really agitates me about Rodney is that the way he plays the game, mostly, contrary to the way I think the game should be played. And his style of play is not one I associate with winning.

Remind me to never ever discuss Rodney with you.

Reaction Score

Wow even after he makes you look like a fool you come out with your consistent blah blah blah blah. I commend you Cheekster!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You're getting close to the level of the guy who said that "Purvis should've stayed at NC State. His attitude doesn't belong here at UCONN." Unless that was you...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Interestingly, in a recent thread about Dyson, the majority of fans who jumped all over him in the past managed to avoid commenting about him. They have moved on or healed. Most of the comments in that thread were complimentary towards him. The primary exceptions were you and chief00.

I agree that Dham has the potential for a much higher ceiling than RP. But you are already in the stands ready to instigate negativity towards Rodney. I think this issue is personal for you.

Reaction Score
I think this issue is personal for you.
Personal how?

I really, really just dislike the way he plays the game. He's not a team player. His IQ on the court is low. Sent out a text about "loyalty" the first game he didn't get PT. Not commenting on the kid personally - could be a great kid. Just observing that he's got the traits of a guy who's not going to improve much in his time here and who will continue to be frustrating. I very much dislike watching him play. I don't have that same feeling about any other player.

Personal how? You could be on to something, I just need more clarification (seriously, I respect your human analysis, which I've read over the year here. You're clearly a competent counselor/psychologist).

Reaction Score
Personal how?

I really, really just dislike the way he plays the game. He's not a team player. His IQ on the court is low. Sent out a text about "loyalty" the first game he didn't get PT. Not commenting on the kid personally - could be a great kid. Just observing that he's got the traits of a guy who's not going to improve much in his time here and who will continue to be frustrating. I very much dislike watching him play. I don't have that same feeling about any other player.

Personal how? You could be on to something, I just need more clarification (seriously, I respect your human analysis, which I've read over the year here. You're clearly a competent counselor/psychologist).
you realize how inept you are at interpreting basketball? purvis loves his team. thats a fact. and he is still really talented. go spend your time elsewhere if you have nothing meaningful to contribute. you aint cheeky, your shi1111ty

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Personal how?

There's an objective element(s) and subjective element(s) that makes us think, feel, and behave the way we do. For the moment, let's remove the intellectual component. You have identified the elements in Rodney's and Jerome's game that elicit an emotional response in you. Now figure out what it is about you that causes this emotional response when you see that type of play.

Emotions are beautiful. But they can impact us and others negatively when we can't control them.

Let me add back the intellectual component. There may or may not be validity to your assessment of their game. Who decides that? Suffice it to say, your assessment is valid for you. The caution for all of us is that, in most cases, we can't assess things absolutely. We are frequently missing critical pieces of information and therefore are postulating theories. The danger is when we begin to believe our theories are facts.

Reaction Score
Cheeky... While your problems with Purvis's game are justified and for the most part true, his ball IQ is low, his ball handling is poor, he doesn't share the ball or rebound we know... but your constant and out of know where attacking of him lowers your credibility on this board. Ive seen your post and I think you understand the game at an above average level for this board, But your vendetta against Purvis is taking away from it.

At this point it seems personal. I can't deny hopefully you can get off this and start discussing hoops with us.

Reaction Score
Cheeky... While your problems with Purvis's game are justified and for the most part true, his ball IQ is low, his ball handling is poor, he doesn't share the ball or rebound we know... but your constant and out of know where attacking of him lowers your credibility on this board. Ive seen your post and I think you understand the game at an above average level for this board, But your vendetta against Purvis is taking away from it.

At this point it seems personal. I can't deny hopefully you can get off this and start discussing hoops with us.
Well taken. Thank you.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Purvis shows flashes of being a Ferrari, but mostly, he's just a Camry. Middle of the road. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either.

He needs to work on the jumper, but not in games. He's at his best attacking the rim. Once he has some success doing that, then he'll get more room to get off his jump shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Purvis catches ball while standing out of bounds on the sideline. Drink.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Purvis makes two straight tough drives sandwiched between 3 missed FT's. Drink.

Reaction Score
Purvis makes two straight tough drives sandwiched between 3 missed FT's. Drink.
I missed the first half while at the doctor's office. He asked "why would you be showing early signs of hyper tension at your age?" I said "Have you ever seen Rodney Purvis play basketball?"

duck*ing hell.

Reaction Score
I don't think Purvis will be a great player by any means, but I'm going to enjoy when he makes a lot of people on this board look stupid.
I volunteer to look stupid. I mean, even more so than usual. I would love for this kid to make me look stupid, because, if he does, we'll be a much better team.

Reaction Score
I don't think Purvis will be a great player by any means...
The frustration I'm feeling about him (and I'm not willing to speak for anyone else here) is that I think he clearly has the tools to be a great player. The joke Chin Diesel was making was that he sandwiches those spectacular plays - his driving lay-ups, jump-stop floaters & catch-and-shoot 3s - with some spectacularly bone-headed .

We are clearly better off for having a talent like Purvis on the team. The process of molding him from "talent" into "player", however, is going to claim some lives around here no matter how much faith you've got in KO (and I've got a lot).

Reaction Score
I volunteer to look stupid. I mean, even more so than usual. I would love for this kid to make me look stupid, because, if he does, we'll be a much better team.

Don't worry, he will. And I don't say that to be a pr&ck. Keep an eye on the flashes. There were several tonight, and I think they're going to get more and more consistent. I think a confident Purvis is going to be a force. A work in progress for certain, but ultimately a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom