Rodney Selvie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rodney Selvie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't worry, he will. And I don't say that to be a pr&ck. Keep an eye on the flashes. There were several tonight, and I think they're going to get more and more consistent. I think a confident Purvis is going to be a force. A work in progress for certain, but ultimately a force.

I want the flashes to become supernovas. But I'll be really bummed if he eliminates the WTFs?. I want him to be Rodney just being Rodney (referencing Manny Ramirez's Manyy just being Manny).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The frustration I'm feeling about him (and I'm not willing to speak for anyone else here) is that I think he clearly has the tools to be a great player. The joke Chin Diesel was making was that he sandwiches those spectacular plays - his driving lay-ups, jump-stop floaters & catch-and-shoot 3s - with some spectacularly bone-headed .

We are clearly better off for having a talent like Purvis on the team. The process of molding him from "talent" into "player", however, is going to claim some lives around here no matter how much faith you've got in KO (and I've got a lot).

Thank you.

Reaction Score
The thing that caught my eye is how long he was in the air on one drive as he attacked the rim. Some great athleticism there.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rodney is starting to show flashes of being a very good player. At the very least, he's a damn good defender.

Reaction Score
The frustration I'm feeling about him (and I'm not willing to speak for anyone else here) is that I think he clearly has the tools to be a great player. The joke Chin Diesel was making was that he sandwiches those spectacular plays - his driving lay-ups, jump-stop floaters & catch-and-shoot 3s - with some spectacularly bone-headed .
Lots of players have had the physical talent to be great players - unfortunately, it's just not in everyone's DNA.

But Purvis is a guy who has steadily gotten better over the course of the season. It doesn't feel that way because when he's bad, he's really bad. But when you compare his two- to three-game stretches now to his two- to three-game stretches at the beginning of the season, it's night and day.

The guy is yet to eclipse 60 games in his collegiate career, and UConn could potentially have him for two more full seasons. If he were to stay through his senior year, he has the makings of a really, really good college player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The thing that caught my eye is how long he was in the air on one drive as he attacked the rim. Some great athleticism there.

Maybe Ollie should have called him a Gulfstream instead of a Ferrari?

Reaction Score
Don't worry, he will. And I don't say that to be a pr&ck. Keep an eye on the flashes. There were several tonight, a
He looked really good last night. He played within the offense.

Of course, it was a blow out win from the 4 minute mark, so that is an anomaly.

Reaction Score
Just reading this thread now. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's not RP fault that OTHERS hyped him up. Had we never heard Ollie call him a ferrari, or Calhoun say he was the best player on the court last year (team with 3 NBA guys in Bazz, DD and RB), then we would be more than happy with what he has provided us this year.

He's a good second half player. Second leading scorer on the team after last night, averaging 10.1 ppg (Dham and AB average 10) on 44% shooting and 36% from 3. Thats pretty damn good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just reading this thread now. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's not RP fault that OTHERS hyped him up. Had we never heard Ollie call him a ferrari, or Calhoun say he was the best player on the court last year (team with 3 NBA guys in Bazz, DD and RB), then we would be more than happy with what he has provided us this year.

He's a good second half player. Second leading scorer on the team after last night, averaging 10.1 ppg (Dham and AB average 10) on 44% shooting and 36% from 3. Thats pretty damn good.
It's not just the hype that bothers people, but that certainly is a part of the problem. It seems every year there is a group of people that go after one of the players with a certain type of game. Bazz and Ryan got this treatment their sophomore seasons. I think it's a style issue for some. They confuse a certain type of play as being selfish and transpose this to a player being selfish.

Players that play too fast and have turnovers are considered out of control even if their number of turnovers is less or on par with others and even if the speed facilitates scoring opportunities. Think Taliek.

Players that don't get assists are considered selfish even if that play is what coaches want, or if the player lacks decent peripheral vision and/or passing skills. Think Jerome.

And if they don't smile or have a goofy appearance........

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
This is what I mean with flashes of Ferrari. He reminds me of Wade Boggs. When the game is tight, he couldn't come through, but if the Sox were up big early - he'd go 4-5.

I just think when the game is getting out of control RP can pour in points in a hurry, but we certainly haven't seen this from him in any first half.

I think we also quickly forget that before this yr, he hadn't played in a full paced game in over a year. Hopefully he's still getting his legs under him. I think by next yr or his senior year, he'll be a very very good player for us, not that he isn't solid now.

Reaction Score
Purvis shows flashes of being a Ferrari, but mostly, he's just a Camry. Middle of the road. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either.

He needs to work on the jumper, but not in games. He's at his best attacking the rim. Once he has some success doing that, then he'll get more room to get off his jump shot.
Listen , I 've owned three Camry's ,
Great car , even better when you look to sell or trade it. One of my vehicle's is a low milagage 2000. (I put more miles on my golf-cart or latleyon foot.)That looks brand new and I have had been amazing offers on.
The car will outlast me. My wife's gone through a couple of newer ones.
When her floor mats get dirty it's time for a new car.
Back on point.
Rodney should be happy with that analogy. If you had to get from point A to point B ,
The Camry will never let you down. 10-12 Pts per game 4-6 REB and good D
Every time.
The Ferrari may get temperamental on you and leave you stranded at point A
He may get 25 but the next time 4
We certainly could use a Camry on this team.

Reaction Score
It's not just the hype that bothers people, but that certainly is a part of the problem. It seems every year there is a group of people that go after one of the players with a certain type of game. Bazz and Ryan got this treatment their sophomore seasons. I think it's a style issue for some. They confuse a certain type of play as being selfish and transpose this to a player being selfish.

Players that play too fast and have turnovers are considered out of control even if their number of turnovers is less or on par with others and even if the speed facilitates scoring opportunities. Think Taliek.

Players that don't get assists are considered selfish even if that play is what coaches want, or if the player lacks decent peripheral vision and/or passing skills. Think Jerome.

And if they don't smile or have a goofy appearance...

Daniels was crucified on here last year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He made a free throw. Small steps, Rodney, small steps.

Reaction Score
We desperately need Purvis to have one of his high rpm second halves. Smu is very good.

Reaction Score
Boat penetrates, draws the entire defense and kicks out to Rodney for a wide open 3 with 1 second on the clock.

Rather than shoot, Rodney pump fakes and travels.

Drink.

Reaction Score
Every time I bump this thread, this kid turns into SuperMan.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Purvis travels again. Drink!

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Purvis fouls again. Again. At the end of the shot clock. Drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom