Rodney Selvie | The Boneyard

Rodney Selvie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Johnnie Time is getting a run for his money for stepping on the baeline and sideline.

Rodney is close to drinking game status based on his boneheaded plays.

Reaction Score
If we are a young team and are watching the future...

Reaction Score
Was that 6 point sequence where he missed his 3, and gambled for a steal only to have his man hit a wide open three, his season in a nutshell or what?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Was that 6 point sequence where he missed his 3, and gambled for a steal only to have his man hit a wide open three, his season in a nutshell or what?

If it was, then his missed layup on the 4 on 2 fast break where never passed that turned in to a 3 for ECU was.

Or his attempted dunk right there from 1o feet away from the hoop.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
If it was, then his missed layup on the 4 on 2 fast break where never passed that turned in to a 3 for ECU was. Or his attempted dunk right there from 1o feet away from the hoop.

Problem was it wasn't a missed layup. It was a missed one handed runner from 10 feet. I could live with a missed layup if he took it strong.

He did a couple good things, and I like how he's progressing as a defender. He's just not going to be a guy I trust to make decisions on the run this year. Maybe next year.

Reaction Score
I try to be relentlessly positive about this team, but Purvis brings some real profanity out of me. Two missed lay-ups today that are just inexplicable.

This season is our penance. Next year will be better.

EDIT: My timing on the above was incredible. 30 seconds after I was done typing the above, he hit a driving lay-up, a 3 from the corner, and then a nice lay-up after a smart curl. Remind me to badmouth RP more often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
RP has a little (or a lot) of DHam in him. He makes just enough great plays to barely eclipse the bonehead ones. DHam and RP could be lots of fun to watch next season.

Reaction Score
Looks like the motor is running and the Chevy is off of the blocks. Let's hope they can keep the motor running.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
If Purvis works on his bonehead mistakes and ft% (paltry 50ish), he could make a serious impact for UConn bball next year (possibly this year). Him and Samuel are some of the best in the AAC at driving to the hoop, and Purvis has a smooth jumper as well.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
blog_kirsten_crash20100310.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I try to be relentlessly positive about this team, but Purvis brings some real profanity out of me. Two missed lay-ups today that are just inexplicable.

This season is our penance. Next year will be better.

EDIT: My timing on the above was incredible. 30 seconds after I was done typing the above, he hit a driving lay-up, a 3 from the corner, and then a nice lay-up after a smart curl. Remind me to badmouth RP more often.

I sent my buddy a text after his 2nd missed layup, just destroying Purvis. So I know how you feel.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to remember that Bazz, Boat, and Kemba all made their remarkable strides in their 3rd year under KO. Give him time. If anything, his inconsistency and struggles means he'll be here as a senior with Brimah. In KO I trust.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to remember that Bazz, Boat, and Kemba all made their remarkable strides in their 3rd year under KO. Give him time. If anything, his inconsistency and struggles means he'll be here as a senior with Brimah. In KO I trust.
Well put.

That said, I'm still going to swear at my TV about 5 times a game because of dumb s*** he does.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Defense:

I've seen a significant improvement in RP's defense. It will be interesting to see if he continues this. RB, TS and RP are tenacious on the perimeter. The glaring weakness imo are DHam and OC. They lose their players much too easily.

As far as the big men go KF and AB struggle with many aspects of the game on defense. PN is more fundamentally sound but has no where near the athleticism of those two guys.

I saw shades of Miami yesterday when DHam almost single handily gave Tulane a chance to come back, first by not guarding the three and then the turnover. He was struggling most of the game on defense although that turnover he created late in the game was a momentum changer.

If DHam can get to the level of RP and TS on defense, and RP can play as "loosely" on offense that he showed in the last seven minutes of the Tulane game, this team is decent. If AB can understand how to play the perimeter on d and KF can get out of his funk this team can be good.

Reaction Score
^I don't think anyone on this team is tenacious on defense except for Boat. RP and TS are usually solid but multiple times today TS got absolutely burnt for easy backdoor layups. That should never happen multiple times in a game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With Rodney you have to accept the bad with the good. He is going to make a couple of head scratching plays every game. Fortunately he has skills to atone for them later on. But it's an interesting roller coaster ride with him. It's not even game by game inconsistency. Every series with him is like a box of chocolates.

Reaction Score
Johnnie Time is getting a run for his money for stepping on the baeline and sideline.

Rodney is close to drinking game status based on his boneheaded plays.
LOL. If we didn't win I wouldn't be laughing though. And he doesn't own all those bonehead plays.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
^I don't think anyone on this team is tenacious on defense except for Boat. RP and TS are usually solid but multiple times today TS got absolutely burnt for easy backdoor layups. That should never happen multiple times in a game.
Those two back doors had me counting to twenty. But overall he and Rodney are proving to be solid. Can't say the same for OC or DHam. Ryan is in a class above every one else. He is an extraordinary defender who has improved considerably from his sophomore season. TSam and RP are only sophomores. Hopefully they'll continue to improve.

My take is that RP has improved considerably on defense from the beginning of this season. Of course it has been against ECU and Tulane, but definitely better than what he showed preseason.

Reaction Score
With Rodney you have to accept the bad with the good. He is going to make a couple of head scratching plays every game. Fortunately he has skills to atone for them later on. But it's an interesting roller coaster ride with him. It's not even game by game inconsistency. Every series with him is like a box of chocolates.
yeah i would say he is still raw. its fun watching his development. this past summer he clearly spent a lot time working on spot up jumpers, but he didn't get better enough at playmaking in transition/ball handling in screens. there are many facets of his game that need to be unlocked in the next year or so, tremendous end to end athlete with strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom