Rocket Watts? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I've said before, this has been the conversation every offseason on this board about replacing the scoring that leaves. We couldn't replace Jalen Adams and then Vital stepped up, then wouldn't replace Vital and Bouknight stepped up. Now we can replace Bouknight, and someone will step up. My money is on Jackson becoming that go to guy
Agreed, I think Jackson and Gaffney in particular are going to take huge leaps next year.

This board loves hyping up the freshman, without fail, every single year as game changers who are going to unseat upperclassmen and magically assert themselves as the best player on the team sometime during their first year, while consistently forgetting that the it's much, much more likely that the older guys improve and solidify their roles. I would love if the incoming guys are talented enough to be impact contributors, but my money is on guys in the program for a year or two making the jump instead.

Reaction Score
I think (hope) Jackson will take a big step forward this season but I'm skeptical that your go to crunch time scorer can be a guy who has literally no semblance of a jump shot, and can basically only score at the rim.
I'm skeptical as well, but is it harder to believe that or that one of the incoming freshmen becomes our crunch time scorer?

Reaction Score
I think (hope) Jackson will take a big step forward this season but I'm skeptical that your go to crunch time scorer can be a guy who has literally no semblance of a jump shot, and can basically only score at the rim.
Yeah I don't think you can ever just give him the ball and say go get a bucket, so from that point it's tough to replace Bouk. It'll have to be Cole in those iso situations, which isn't ideal.

But that being said, I think you can draw up a ton of plays to get Jackson the ball on lobs and back door cuts, which we should have been doing a lot more with Bouknight last year

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This sounds like the short-lived but eminently enjoyable Boneyard week in review post.

Who did that and whatever happened to it anyway?
Hmm...
Whoever it was, maybe his head exploded.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think you can ever just give him the ball and say go get a bucket, so from that point it's tough to replace Bouk. It'll have to be Cole in those iso situations, which isn't ideal.
I understand the skepticism about freshmen, but Bouk became the "go get a bucket guy" by the middle of his freshman year. Not out of the realm of possibility that Hawkins takes the role next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah people get bent over Hurley’s statements. Tune that out and watch the results. Every year has been better than the previous one since he’s been here. The success won’t be linear but I like the trend in recruiting and on the court. Really looking forward to next year to simply see the improvement and getting back to games in person and support the kids as a fan
It's weird seeing people get bent over Hurley's public statements, they must have forgotten about Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Fair, I forgot about Polley, but otherwise pretty accurate
i dont see any way that martin and aj can be our starting wings with whaley and sanogo the starting bigs. probably not a 35% 3 point shooter among them. i'm optimistic for improvement but not that optimistic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fair, I forgot about Polley, but otherwise pretty accurate
Polley and Gaffney both averaged over 5 ppg off the bench. Most people on the board think Akok will be coming off the bench next season, he averaged over 5 ppg. We will have 7 guys returning who have averaged over 5 ppg.

Reaction Score
I understand the skepticism about freshmen, but Bouk became the "go get a bucket guy" by the middle of his freshman year. Not out of the realm of possibility that Hawkins takes the role next year.
Bouk had the mentality of being the man. We need someone else to bring that. Maybe it will be Hawkins or Diggins. It definitely won’t be someone with a timid mentality.

Reaction Score
This will mean that both the freshman will need to be good and impactful (this is for 8893) immediately. Otherwise we will see WAY too much of Cole and Gaffeny on the court together and that scares the hell out of me. Hopefully Diggins and Hawkins are ready because we need more dynamic guards to be really good.
Amen brother. - scares the heck out of me, too. If the freshman aren’t really impactful, get ready for a bunch of 62-60 rock fights - our returning guards are not impact players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69