Rocket Watts? | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A guy at my work saw my UConn shirt (on Zoom) and it turned into a great convo.. he is Michigan St grad and said Rocket Watts was leaning toward either UConn or Baylor.

Izzo wanted him to be more of a pure point guard, pass first shoot second and it didn’t work out. …Rocket’s strengths are scoring and shooting... he needs the right fit.

would he be good for us?

Has anybody heard anything else about this?

Reaction Score
He's shot well at the free throw line. His stroke looks pretty good. I'm not sure why he's shot it so poorly for 2 straight years from 3.
I’m not by any means defending his shooting numbers, but sometimes how you play can be a product of the system you are in. In this case I think he could play better on a different team because Michigan State was clearly not a good fit for him. I definitely would take him, but yeah he has to improve from 3. I always thought he had a decent looking stroke too, could be shot selection issues.

Reaction Score
I’m not by any means defending his shooting numbers, but sometimes how you play can be a product of the system you are in. In this case I think he could play better on a different team because Michigan State was clearly not a good fit for him. I definitely would take him, but yeah he has to improve from 3. I always thought he had a decent looking stroke too, could be shot selection issues.
Presumably the analytics the coaches have access to lets you see splits on wide open, lightly defended, and well-contested shots from various locations, etc. That might give a better picture of if he has more promise or not.

Reaction Score
Kentucky has offered on Rocket(another thread).. Seems like SEC BB schools are benefiting from SEC FB banking some money through their boosters/donors. If you know what I'm sayin'

Reaction Score
Kentucky has offered on Rocket(another thread).. Seems like SEC BB schools are benefiting from SEC FB banking some money through their boosters/donors. If you know what I'm sayin'
Why that would be shocking, shocking I tell you, I mean unless Rocket refers to his ability to throw a 60 yard spiral into a thimble.

Reaction Score
He can physically play at this level... right? That's something. I'd take him.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Because he’s a bad shooter.
Also did not play within Izzo system at all. More of an iso, volume kid. Good player. I’ll pass. We need a shooter, who can get open.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
He's shot well at the free throw line. His stroke looks pretty good. I'm not sure why he's shot it so poorly for 2 straight years from 3.
It's all right there. If we assume the OP's information is legit, Watts believes he can't play in Izzo's system. He wants off the ball. Maybe he believes he'll be much more efficient as a finisher than a creator.

I'd take him. He's excellent on the break, creates tons of fouls, and is a + defender.

Reaction Score
Definitely a big time athlete with talent. There is nothing functionally wrong with his shooting stroke. Could play either the 1 or 2 position. Of course we could use a player like this.

Reaction Score
It’s wild that people talk about Cole - who is basically a 40% three point shooter - like he can’t hit the broad side of a barn and then want to bring in a kid who actually can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
Good ole boneyard fun LOL

Reaction Score
It’s wild that people talk about Cole - who is basically a 40% three point shooter - like he can’t hit the broad side of a barn and then want to bring in a kid who actually can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
The problem with Cole is he's not really a point guard, and he really struggled shooting against good teams.

Games against USC/Creighton/Villanova/Maryland: 19% from 2, 31% from 3.
Games against everyone else: 44% from 2, 42% from 3.

Reaction Score
Same thing with Polley. There have been a lot of comments on here about how it’s no help if he comes back, but I guarantee if he was transferring from a different school the same people would be saying he is a “must get.” Make up your minds people ??

Reaction Score
The problem with Cole is he's not really a point guard, and he really struggled shooting against good teams.

So by all means let's bring in a combo guard who is a much worse shooter.

Reaction Score

RJ was 4th in the Big East in assists and every game there were non-assists because of our inability to make layups and catch hot passes near the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom