RJ Cole looks much more settled and confident | Page 4 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole looks much more settled and confident

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Calling someone brother can be traced back to wrestler Superstar Billy Graham and he's been around for awhile.

1614485706076.png

I watched original WWF wrestling with my Dad every Saturday and Sunday on channel 9 or 11. Good call, @Waquoit Maybe that's where my old man picked it up and handed it down to me. Once again, I wasn't trying to tear 88 down, just got a sense he was young.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Calling someone brother can be traced back to wrestler Superstar Billy Graham and he's been around for awhile.

By the way, thanks for ripping off another band aid of my youth by implying Hulk Hogan's schtick wasn't new and he was stealing other wrestlers stuff.

Reaction Score
The game hasn't slowed down, Cole has slowed down, he is playing much more under control, gets himself into many fewer bad situations, and now because he isn't forcing it he can get out of bad situations. He is so much calmer on the court.
Many fewer?? Knew what you meant, just had to point it out. ?

Reaction Score
Today's refs were bad too with that, Garcia backed down someone (Jackson IIRC), threw his shoulder into him 3 times and then got a foul called
Yep, it’s a total joke. A million fouls for ticky tack stuff, and somehow you can blatantly lower your shoulder and forearm into a defender repeatedly to knock him back a foot at a time, eventually resulting in a foul on the DEFENSE. There’s nothing Jackson can do there. The funny thing was he realized it the 2nd time he was in that situation, flopped and fell to the ground, and of course they called an offensive foul on Marquette.

So good job refs, you complain about flopping and then officiate in a way where the defense can only get a fair shake by flopping.

Reaction Score
His defense on the star PGs in the Big East doesn't get talked about nearly enough, he's shut down everyone outside of Gillespie who is just a nightmare matchup for him
Yes, Cole's defense is much underrated. He has shut down a lot of much larger players by stripping them early and has doubled down low at times for even more strips. He has grown and been accepted in his leadership role. Cole is the glue down the stretch, making key shots and great passes to shut down rallies. Were seeing smiles on the guards faces a lot these days.

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat took us to the promised land, can Cole and Bouk? Who’s our Giffey?

Reaction Score
Yep, it’s a total joke. A million fouls for ticky tack stuff, and somehow you can blatantly lower your shoulder and forearm into a defender repeatedly to knock him back a foot at a time, eventually resulting in a foul on the DEFENSE. There’s nothing Jackson can do there. The funny thing was he realized it the 2nd time he was in that situation, flopped and fell to the ground, and of course they called an offensive foul on Marquette.

So good job refs, you complain about flopping and then officiate in a way where the defense can only get a fair shake by flopping.
We were seeing shades of Coach K at Duke and the Hollywood type flops that he installed for many years. It was good to see the Lakers star called out on this and a recent Div 1 game I watched the flopper was given a technical. Another annoying thing is when a player flops and fakes a head hit, quickly covers his eyes, play is stopped. The refs yesterday didn't fall for this gimmick and Sanogo scored.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The play where he was leading a semi-break and hesitated for a second like he was going to circle the wagons then blew past two guys was the perfect decision and play for him

Reaction Score
Penthouse was a magazine whose writers and articles were so riveting and informative that many of us would rush to buy as soon as it came out.
Great writers indeed.

But the one pictorial spread that stands out to me is the one where smoking hot Vanessa Williams was featured with another woman. The pictures were taken a couple of years before she won the Miss America contest. I remember driving across the mid west at that time and stopping at a gas station to buy the magazine.

She’s the only good thing that came from Syrapuse University.

Reaction Score
Yes, Cole's defense is much underrated. He has shut down a lot of much larger players by stripping them early and has doubled down low at times for even more strips. He has grown and been accepted in his leadership role. Cole is the glue down the stretch, making key shots and great passes to shut down rallies. Were seeing smiles on the guards faces a lot these days.
Cole has no choice ,because of his lack of height and lack of wingspan, to play defense the old-fashioned way .With his feet. He always gives up 3-5 inches to taller guards and holds his own. He can't stop taller guys from shooting over him but he clearly is frustrating them with smart D.

Would be cool if RJ sat AJ down and discussed with him a better way to play D (with your feet) and stay on the floor for longer periods of time.

RJ is trusting AJ and starting to look for him more on offense ---a good thing heading into Tournament time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cole has no choice because of his lack of height and lack of wingspan to play defense the old-fashioned way .With his feet. He always gives up 3-5 inches to taller guards and holds his own. He can't stop taller guys from shooting over him but he clearly is frustrating them with smart D.

Would be cool if RJ sat AJ down and discussed with him a better way to play D (with your feet) and stay on the floor for longer periods of time. Starting to see RJ looking for AJ when he has the ball in his hands-a good thing for Tournament time.
In AJ’s defense though, history is filled with young players who struggled defensively and picked up a lot of bad fouls. While he does need to improve his foul frequency, he gets whistled for 1-2 per game that are complete nonsense. The one where Garcia kept ramming into him for example. I noticed a few plays yesterday he didn’t get whistled for that only a game or two ago he would have. I’m optimistic that he’s slowly starting to get respect from the refs. With his size and length and ability to defend 1-4, he could develop into the best overall defender we’ve ever had.

Reaction Score
In AJ’s defense though, history is filled with young players who struggled defensively and picked up a lot of bad fouls. While he does need to improve his foul frequency, he gets whistled for 1-2 per game that are complete nonsense. The one where Garcia kept ramming into him for example. I noticed a few plays yesterday he didn’t get whistled for that only a game or two ago he would have. I’m optimistic that he’s slowly starting to get respect from the refs. With his size and length and ability to defend 1-4, he could develop into the best overall defender we’ve ever had.
Agree with you on all points. I've mentioned before that refs are seeing him do things athletically on D that they don't see often from freshman. They're way too fast on the whistle with phantom calls. He is so disruptive and can create his own offense off of his defense .

Can definitely be the X factor in the BET and Tournament if he can stay on the floor. Looked like he was really having fun yesterday.

Reaction Score
My favorite play of the game. That was awesome. As I said in another thread, I wish they had done that against Gillespie.

Reaction Score
When I watch Cole, he reminds me so much of another lefty point guard, I just can’t remember who it is. It might be Derek Fisher, but I think his game might resemble someone else’s even more. Can you guys think of a lefty former NBA point guard he reminds you of?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I watch Cole, he reminds me so much of another lefty point guard, I just can’t remember who it is. It might Derek Fisher, but I think his game might resemble someone else’s even more. Can you guys think of a lefty former NBA point guard he reminds you of?
Maybe dragic with how well they both play off PnR even though dragic is much bigger and obviously a pro

Reaction Score
That midrange jumper is there for the taking for so many players if they would put the work in and practice that shot. RIP was great at curling around a screen and hitting that shot from the elbows. He made millions off of it. He was great from 3 point land and could get to the hoop, but what gave defenses fits was his ability to be smothered outside, drive by and pull up before he got to a shot blocker. With his size he could shoot over almost anyone who was assigned to guard him outside.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Spot on brother.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing...

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but my favorite thing about Cole's game is when penetrants and either lays it in or takes an off balance shot, the announcers get beside themselves with a, "WITH HIS LEFT!"

Cole is left handed.

(It's the little things...)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom