RJ Cole looks much more settled and confident | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole looks much more settled and confident

Reaction Score
The game hasn't slowed down, Cole has slowed down, he is playing much more under control, gets himself into many fewer bad situations, and now because he isn't forcing it he can get out of bad situations. He is so much calmer on the court.
100%. That’s what Andre needs to do to get to the next step now. He’s 100 mph of unbridled energy at all times, which provides a lot of great things but also some bad fouls and shots. Once he develops his shot more and learns how to slow down a bit, he’ll be an absolute monster.

Reaction Score
Yea like I said in a earlier comment he has the look of an all big east PG next year who can carry as a senior with even more experience who been in some battles
I know there are people here that are worried about Bouk leaving but i really believe we are going to be really, really good next year. Im very comfortable with a backcourt of Cole/Gaffney to start next season with two really talented freshmen backing them up. Our frontcourt should be deep and among the best if not the best in the conference.

Reaction Score
100%. That’s what Andre needs to do to get to the next step now. He’s 100 mph of unbridled energy at all times, which provides a lot of great things but also some bad fouls and shots. Once he develops his shot more and learns how to slow down a bit, he’ll be an absolute monster.
If that kid develops a consistent jump shot he will be one of the best players in the country. Im hoping he develops because hes very talented.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Cole has figured it out. Definitely agree with the idea that he just needed some time to work the rust off and get used to Big East play in comparison to the MEAC (or whatever conference he played in prior)

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I know there are people here that are worried about Bouk leaving but i really believe we are going to be really, really good next year. Im very comfortable with a backcourt of Cole/Gaffney to start next season with two really talented freshmen backing them up. Our frontcourt should be deep and among the best if not the best in the conference.
So many lineup options next year with cole, gaff, hawkins in the backcourt along with jackson and martin, who can play anywhere 2-4

Reaction Score
Agreed wholeheartedly.. with a healthy akok and Samson gettin eased in

Reaction Score
RJ never looks tired yet he plays so hard. This UConn BB. Play your best ball at the end of the season.
It does feel a bit reminiscent of our our past in that way.

And it's not a one time thing with Hurley, either: last year they were peaking this time of year and it really felt like they had a chance in the AAC tournament, and if it weren't for the Jalen Adams injuries two years ago they were figuring it out too.

Reaction Score
I tried to tell people. Believe me i got a little frustrated with him at times but i kept the faith. Dudes a stud.
It's taken him a little time to adjust to the speed, and he has his weaknesses. You don't want him to be your number one player. But as a lead guard who can control pace, defend, and hit shots? He seems like he's hitting his stride.

Reaction Score
A lot of people like him with the caveat that he would play under control. He's doing that now. I love how he probes the defense, but is constantly looking to attack whether it's looking for a lane to drive or pass. I love Gaff, but he needs to develop that little midrange jumper that Cole has.

I love Jackson, and I've called on him to shoot more, but I want it as a spot up shooter or at the rim. Don't want to see him dribbling around and shooting quite yet. The team (like all of them) is much better passing the ball around.
Also, RJ's emergence will help keep Bouk rested and more likely to keep him healthy and from taking too much abuse trying to bail the offense out.

Reaction Score
A lot of people like him with the caveat that he would play under control. He's doing that now.
I think that was just him trying to adjust to this level of bball. I mean every player gets a little out of control at times but i believe it wont be an issure going forward with him especially as he gets more and more comfortable and confident.

Reaction Score
He seems to have figured out how to be effective at this level. Earlier on he was over-penetrating into the trees and getting stuffed or turning it over. He lacks the quickness to blow by his defender but he's employing that move where he gets half a step on his guy and keeps him on the back of his hip. He then gets into the paint and forces the bigs to decide whether to help or lay back and RJ either dishes are takes a floater depending on the defensive reaction.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Either the start of the week or last week there was a post who might be the leader in this team. Looks like Cole has stepped up to that title...so far.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Carton was 0-9 from the field with 3 turnovers. Only had 3 assists.

This is a good time for me to ask a question as a casual hoops fan.

How is the +/- calculated for a player after the game? I've got a 6.5 yr UConn Bachelor's degree so I know plus is better than negative. But that would literally be my opening statement if I had to write a paper on the topic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cole has figured it out. Definitely agree with the idea that he just needed some time to work the rust off and get used to Big East play in comparison to the MEAC (or whatever conference he played in prior)

Been mentioned several times in different threads. That 12-15 foot pull up jumper is lethal. When people talk about the mid range game going away offensively it also has the effect of defenders not knowing how to guard the mid range.

Defenders now go all out to cover the 3 and, if necessary sprint to the rim to try and recover. Defensive rotations are built on having the help take and angle to the rim as well. A good head fake or hedge gets you by the defender on the perimeter and the mid range jump shot is gone before they can recover or defense can rotate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His defense on the star PGs in the Big East doesn't get talked about nearly enough, he's shut down everyone outside of Gillespie who is just a nightmare matchup for him
While his recent offense is a very welcome improvement, his defense has vastly exceeded what we were lead to expect. I have to think that he worked his tail off on the defensive end while off the last year. Kudos to him for that. It has been really terrific.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I watch him and have this sense that the other team is afraid of him. Like they know the only thing that can stop him is himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom