RIP Charlie Watts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP Charlie Watts

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always thought the Beatles-Stones thing was mostly about the Stones rocking harder and one's personal preference associated with that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I always thought the Beatles-Stones thing was mostly about the Stones rocking harder and one's personal preference associated with that.
I think that's certainly the popular perception, which was aided in great part by the Stones' carefully-cultivated image as the "bad boys of rock-n-roll," in contrast to the more charming and witty image the Beatles cultivated.

Funny I put all my Stones' tunes on shuffle for my evening run yesterday and, aside from "Sympathy for the Devil," which I chose manually as the first tune to get me started, there was nary a rocker among the rest for the rest of my run. I didn't mind because I love it all, but I thought it was interesting how much of their great material actually consists of slower songs that don't rock at all.

And here's one that came on on my drive home after the run, which I love because it's such a slow burn--although it really rocks once it gets cooking when they get close to the 3:00 minute mark:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think that's certainly the popular perception, which was aided in great part by the Stones' carefully-cultivated image as the "bad boys of rock-n-roll," in contrast to the more charming and witty image the Beatles cultivated.

Funny I put all my Stones' tunes on shuffle for my evening run yesterday and, aside from "Sympathy for the Devil," which I chose manually as the first tune to get me started, there was nary a rocker among the rest for the rest of my run. I didn't mind because I love it all, but I thought it was interesting how much of their great material actually consists of slower songs that don't rock at all.

And here's one that came on on my drive home after the run, which I love because it's such a slow burn--although it really rocks once it gets cooking when they get close to the 3:00 minute mark:

Nice.

When I used to run, I had a loop/route through the neighborhood. Back in the old iPod days, I had my running music set and All Down the Line was always set up for the penultimate song on the run. Puddle of Mudd Away from Me was always the finisher.

Bob Seger Taveling Man / Beautiful loser was always hitting leadoff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Angie and Wild Horses are some epic headbangers...easily a match for Norwegian Wood. Fool to Cry, Ruby Tuesday...the list of mellow tunes is long.

I do think Heartbreaker and Gimmie Shelter rock pretty hard. I just think the Stones are more jazzy/funky than the Beatles. That may mostly be because they survived into the 70s. Who knows what the Beatles would have done?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can put me firmly in the camp of the Stones were at their best with Mick Taylor. Perfect complement to Keith.

The studio version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking is so good with Bobby Keys and Mick's instrumentals but this gives a hint of what 25 more years of Mick could have meant for the live shows.

Also, much like Bruce Springsteen was born to play the Meadowlands, the Stone and Glastonbury are perfect.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fairly recent, still a nice rendition of Honky Tonk Woman. This is a style of song that set the Stones apart. Never really thought of Sheryl Crow as attractive but um...yeah, I suppose so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fairly recent, still a nice rendition of Honky Tonk Woman. This is a style of song that set the Stones apart. Never really thought of Sheryl Crow as attractive but um...yeah, I suppose so.

I listened to the original studio version last night and was thinking that it may be the most recognizable opening drum beat of all time. Not many songs open with an unaccompanied drum for the first several beats.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I listened to the original studio version last night and was thinking that it may be the most recognizable opening drum beat of all time. Not many songs open with an unaccompanied drum for the first several beats.

Somehow didn’t make Rick’s top 20. He should have had Ballroom Blitz much higher.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

For people of a certain age the Beatles had a huge cultural influence before the Stones came around. Musically The Stones crush the Beatles. Lennon is probably seen by most as a better song writer than Jagger or Richards but Stones were so much more versatile. Beatles are for the boomers sucking on herbal tea and Starbucks. Stones are for the boomers sucking on bourbon and marlboros.
Bourbon and joints. Cigarettes will kill you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Angie and Wild Horses are some epic headbangers...easily a match for Norwegian Wood. Fool to Cry, Ruby Tuesday...the list of mellow tunes is long.

I do think Heartbreaker and Gimmie Shelter rock pretty hard. I just think the Stones are more jazzy/funky than the Beatles. That may mostly be because they survived into the 70s. Who knows what the Beatles would have done?
Going back to the early days of both groups, the Beatles did like 95% love songs into 1966 while the Stones were cranking out "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Paint It Black", both of which were released between the Beatles releasing Rubber Soul and Revolver. They were darker and willing to write about subjects beyond boy meets girl.

I think the Beatles ended when they had to. For whatever acclaim the White Album garnered, most of it was not a "group" production. I think the only one who didn't "quit" the band before the official announcement was George. Pretty much everyone was ready to do their own thing and that worked out well for all four of them. Jagger/Richards still had the desire to work together and were capable of coming up with good new material, at least through Exile.

That said, I never took to Jagger, although i appreciated the musicality of the band. For me it was Beatles>Kinks>Stones>Who.

Reaction Score
Tickets for Tampa in October. Mick bought a house for his girlfriend and his kid (her parents in Bradenton) close to where I live near Sarasota.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
No Expectations is my favorite Stones tune, from Rock and Roll Circus.

Charlie Watts doesn't even play on it.

Reaction Score
If you want to do the female vocalists plays off Mick Jaggar, there's this version of Gimme Shelter and then there's the rest.

Splitting hairs but that tour and all after = no Bill.
But there you go. No band can do that better...when Mick was Mick..

Tight they weren't. Great they were.

RIP Charlie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This has been my favorite band since forever. I can vividly remember sitting patiently next to the family AM radio on hot summer days in 1965, just to hear "Satisfaction."

Was fortunate enough to see them twice, in 1978 ("Some Girls") and 1994 ("Voodoo Lounge").

Here's another article, a good one - the Daily Mail's headline story: 'The ultimate drummer'

Here's the last "public" picture of him, with his wife of 57 years. They had just adopted a greyhound. Family man, animal lover, and the best rock drummer ever. RIP, Mr. Watts.

View attachment 69414

He looked so frail in that picture, but he was 80. My plan is to play tennis into my 90s, basketball to 70, road cycle to 80.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
1629993311635.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member