RIP Charlie Watts | The Boneyard

RIP Charlie Watts

Reaction Score
This one really stings. The end of an era I would think. The Stones had planned on touring with their backup drummer, but the loss of Charlie will certainly cast a pall over things. I am wondering whether they will cancel the tour or if the show will go on.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a shocker to me. I know that he was 80 but still. Keith Richards once said that without Charlie, the Stones would stop playing as well. I was even surprised that they planned on touring with the backup drummer. I was pumped for the show in Tampa in late October but this certainly changes things. I first saw the Stones July 4, 1978 in Buffalo. What a wild ride it has been. I remember him pulling up his pant legs to show off his red socks a few times during band intros. Always with a smile on his face.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mick's, "Charlie's good tonight, i'in he?" on Get Yer Ya-Yas Out was likely the first time I ever heard somebody call attention tothe drummer.

This link may be proprietary to Facebook and not work, but it's worth a try...

I'm not on FB and it works fine for me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh great. That means that my Edit probably messed it up, and I should re-insert below...

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Awful news. Have tickets to finally see them in October here in Pittsburgh. Selfishly I hope this doesn’t cancel the tour, as it was already announced that Charlie wouldn’t be with them

Reaction Score
I love this story. I read this story was from Amsterdam and not surprisingly both Jagger and Watts were drunk.

For all of his low-key skill behind the kit, Watts seemed well aware that he was an irreplaceable element of the Stones’ sound. As one famous story from the band’s heyday goes, Jagger once phoned Watts’ hotel room in the midst of an all-night party, asking, “Where’s my drummer?” Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying, “Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my duck**g singer!”

Reaction Score
We'd better get used this type of news, as the rockers of the 60s and 70s are mostly at, beyond or pushing 80. Sad times ahead....

RIP Charlie.....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We'd better get used this type of news, as the rockers of the 60s and 70s are mostly at, beyond or pushing 80. Sad times ahead....

RIP Charlie.....
Yep. That’s why I always preach “See ‘em while you can.” Having a two-year stall in live shows is definitely going to take some options off the table.

Thankfully I saw Charlie several times over the decades. Sadly I doubt I would see the Stones without him because I don’t want to dilute those memories.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UB40 just lost their stellar sax player. He was only 62! Big hit to that band.

Reaction Score
This has been my favorite band since forever. I can vividly remember sitting patiently next to the family AM radio on hot summer days in 1965, just to hear "Satisfaction."

Was fortunate enough to see them twice, in 1978 ("Some Girls") and 1994 ("Voodoo Lounge").

Here's another article, a good one - the Daily Mail's headline story: 'The ultimate drummer'

Here's the last "public" picture of him, with his wife of 57 years. They had just adopted a greyhound. Family man, animal lover, and the best rock drummer ever. RIP, Mr. Watts.

Watts_Last.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the Stones more than the Beatles.

There, I said it. And I know I'm not alone.
I don't, but I don't know why it matters because no one has to choose.

I like the Stones second to the Beatles and always have, but man I love them. Not to mention I have seen them a lot, and I've never seen the Beatles--just McCartney twice.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't, but I don't know why it matters because no one has to choose.

I like the Stones second to the Beatles and always have, but man I love them. Not to mention I have seen them a lot, and I've never seen the Beatles--just McCartney twice.

It matters as much as any music- (or sports-) related opinion of a random person on the internet matters.

It's a decades-long debate.

I like both, too, but I have a preference, as do you.

Tangent: We recently moved into a new house. Before moving, I told the seller she could leave the books on the shelves, and we'd go through them. We were recently sorting through them and I found what I thought was my own copy of Keith Richards' autobiography, Life. But in fact it was the seller's daughter's copy (per a card inside), and it's signed by Keith.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Mick leaving money on the table. If ZZ Top and Steely Dan can go on...
I'm in favor of money as much as the next guy BUT doesn't Mick have more than he will EVER SPEND?

Come on fellas. Do it for Charlie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It matters as much as any music- (or sports-) related opinion of a random person on the internet matters.

It's a decades-long debate.

I like both, too, but I have a preference, as do you.

Tangent: We recently moved into a new house. Before moving, I told the seller she could leave the books on the shelves, and we'd go through them. We were recently sorting through them and I found what I thought was my own copy of Keith Richards' autobiography, Life. But in fact it was the seller's daughter's copy (per a card inside), and it's signed by Keith.
I get it for sports because teams compete against each other. I just have really never gotten it much with respect to music because I try to keep it to things I like and things I don’t like. And I love both of these bands.

Cool story about the book. I made a terrible mistake and bought it as an audio book and I couldn’t get past the first couple chapters because I hate Johnny Depp’s narration.

Reaction Score
Dude was 80 and lived a full life. They can celebrate his life and play a concert without having to be so doom and gloom about it. It's not like he died tragically at a young age. RIP.

Beatles and Stones. Both brilliant, so, I Know It's Only Rock N Roll But I Like It.

Reaction Score

RIP Charlie Rock on in heaven

This is off of my Favorite Stones album ever Black and Blue. I know I know yes better than Exile On Main Street,

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I get it for sports because teams compete against each other. I just have really never gotten it much with respect to music because I try to keep it to things I like and things I don’t like. And I love both of these bands.

Cool story about the book. I made a terrible mistake and bought it as an audio book and I couldn’t get past the first couple chapters because I hate Johnny Depp’s narration.
Was Depp's narration as bad a Keith's singing voice on his solo albums?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom