Undecided
Reaction Score
Speaking of Facebook, I think Han's car is on the Marketplace
The Millennium Falcon? Damn.
Screenshot_20210824-183519.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like the Stones more than the Beatles.

There, I said it. And I know I'm not alone.

I'm with you.

For people of a certain age the Beatles had a huge cultural influence before the Stones came around. Musically The Stones crush the Beatles. Lennon is probably seen by most as a better song writer than Jagger or Richards but Stones were so much more versatile. Beatles are for the boomers sucking on herbal tea and Starbucks. Stones are for the boomers sucking on bourbon and marlboros.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Down to Ringo from the drumming fab four of 60s legends.

First tour for me was '78. Philly and Palladium. Went multiple times to every tour through the 'Rent Bigger Bang show that thrilled me on them just being in our (bone) yard. Boston after that for that your. Have my stub from Toad's. Pearl Jam opened in Oakland when I went. I would plan business trips across the country around Stones' tour dates for 20+ years.

But there was a constant like no other and that was Charlie. No drum solos needed. Every time his big number was Paint it Black (you devil). You could hear the drums up in the mix for that one. I hear it so clearly.... I see a red door and I want it painted black... The boom boom of bass and Tom drums.

RIP Charlie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm with you.

For people of a certain age the Beatles had a huge cultural influence before the Stones came around. Musically The Stones crush the Beatles. Lennon is probably seen by most as a better song writer than Jagger or Richards but Stones were so much more versatile. Beatles are for the boomers sucking on herbal tea and Starbucks. Stones are for the boomers sucking on bourbon and marlboros.
Worst. Take. Ever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Worst. Take. Ever.
Bad, but not worst. And we all know bourbon sucks.

I've only owned one Stones LP - Through the Past Darkly, Vol II. I did play the crap out of that and probably enjoyed it more than any Beatles album but Abbey Road. However, as I've said numerous times here, IMHO, Stones should've hung it up after Exile. Not much good after that.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm with you.

Swing and a miss.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

Totally agree with this... Stones >>>>>> Beatles

Reaction Score
It matters as much as any music- (or sports-) related opinion of a random person on the internet matters.

It's a decades-long debate.

I like both, too, but I have a preference, as do you.

Tangent: We recently moved into a new house. Before moving, I told the seller she could leave the books on the shelves, and we'd go through them. We were recently sorting through them and I found what I thought was my own copy of Keith Richards' autobiography, Life. But in fact it was the seller's daughter's copy (per a card inside), and it's signed by Keith.
Nice! "Life": a real "Guy's Book"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Always loved the John Hiatt line in "Slow Turning,"

Now I'm in my car
I got the radio down
And I'm yellin' at the kids in the back
'Cause they're bangin' like Charlie Watts

The 2:00 mark in this great performance:

Great lyric.
Great song.
Great artist

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sad news. RIP Charlie. A big part of the sound that made the Rolling Stones the Rolling Stones.

Reaction Score
CW was a cool dude. Always thought his class/demeanor elevated the Stones persona. His groove was the glue that held their music together despite the other talent around him.

A Life well-lived on his terms. About as good as it gets. RIP.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Stones were great when they came to The Rent.
IIRC that was the tour when they played theaters, arenas and stadiums and had a different show planned for each: the theater shows featured rarities; the arena shows each featured several songs off one album; and the stadium shows were greatest hits.

I saw one theater show, at the Orpheum in Boston, and the stand-outs included "Parachute Woman," "Hand of Fate" (a gem from Black and Blue with some searing guitar licks) and a great cover of Solomon Burke's "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love." Hotter than hell that night, and what a show.

Saw two arena shows, at the Civic Center and MSG, featuring Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street, respectively, which are my two favorite Stones albums; and the Rent greatest hits show.

Nice run!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm with you.

Bah, nonsense. Lennon is a good songwriter, but McCartney may be the greatest of all time, and they are both better singers than Mick (yet neither was close to as entertaining as a front man). They aren't similar bands. I'm not sure why we compare them except that they were part of the early British Invasion. I can't say one is "better" than the other, but certainly people could like one more than the other. Longevity is a big part of what made the Stones epic, they are the last band standing from that era. The Beatles were gone before I got to Kindergarten. Zeppelin didn't last through my HS graduation. The Kinks made it to 1997. The Who, not sure how much I count what they did after 1982. Likewise, the real Beach Boys haven't been together in a long time, Dennis died in 1983.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FYI for fellow Sirius subscribers: Deep Tracks is Rolling Stones Radio until Labor Day.

Nice. Just added it to the favorites on the app on my phone. Hitting the links in 2 hours. That should make for some good golf music.

Reaction Score
Rush is a Band Blog: Rush comments on the passing of legendary Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts

... A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."

He spoke again, smiling, "Hello, I'm Charlie Watts."

"Oh!" I said, taken aback, "Hello." And I shook his hand.

He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"

I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

Geddy e-mailed me later and mentioned that scene:

"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!" ...

Reaction Score
Saw them in Boulder-Outdoor concert setting at Folsom Field.. Heart opened up-when they were looking really good.

Mick bouncing around in a pink Spandex jumpsuit with knee pads working the stage.

Had to be there. Can't make this "stuff" up.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Lennon is probably seen by most as a better song writer than Jagger or Richards but Stones were so much more versatile.
Versatile? I realize musical taste is subjective, but this is demonstratively false. The White Album alone is more versatile than the entire Rolling Stones' catalog.

And the Beatles are for everyone.

This from a big Stones fan.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nice. Just added it to the favorites on the app on my phone. Hitting the links in 2 hours. That should make for some good golf music.
'That should make for some good golf music.'
first tee?

some of those long 4's can certainly make a grown man cry.
hit 'em straight. lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom