Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just think too may of you underestimate the requirements for understanding the game. Can't teach someone who doesn't get the details by the time their 19-20 and this is why Sid scares me. Let me ask you this, why is Cobb still dreadful on D despite this staff hammering him everytime he overextends himself on a hedge or help or doesn't react in time to help? I can promise you a coachable kid with basketball smarts would have picked it up after a couple games this year it doesn't have to be taught for 3 years before you get it. Some players that age just don't develop the understanding of the game and it hurts them dramatically.

I think this is spot on. We call it "basketball IQ", though that's not exactly right since IQ is innate, and basketball obviously isn't quite like that.

However, I think it's probably like learning a language. If you don't do it early, it's just not as easy to pick up when you're older. Moreover, there is an IQ element to it, where guys like Okafor can quickly learn how to be effective, while guys like Brimah cannot (coaching clearly plays a role here as well).

Too many recruits over the last 5 years either were late to the game or did not possess the innate basketball intelligence to pick up the principles. Some of them are still on our roster and expected to be major contributors going forward.

Reaction Score
He doesn't look as fragile as Brimah. His first year a feather could knock him over. you can't teach that height.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
To be honest, he looks like contingency plan D or E. He's tall. Very tall. He didn't start playing the game until he was tall enough to dominate based on height alone. So he never really had to concentrate on acquiring skills to compete against the smaller competition he faced. 3 or 4 of his blocks in the highlight video were marginal goaltends and as much as he seems to like swatting it off the backboard, that is one of the things that seems to generate goaltend calls.
On the offensive side, he does seem to be able to stuff the ball from quite far away from the hoop, and he doesn't appear to give up on a play.
Do I want him? Not really.
Would I take him if it came down to that? You bet.

Reaction Score
For next year, it has to be someone developed. 5th year makes the most sense, as it doesn't lock up a scholarship.

Fact: we've got too many marginal guys on the team as it stands right now. We don't need to add another one. Either add elite (or close to) talent, or fill holes for a year.

A guy like this makes sense when you already have a bunch of good talent in the pipeline.

Just add elite (or close to) talent.

Thank you. I wish someone had thought of this before the last three seasons.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just add elite (or close to) talent.

Thank you. I wish someone had thought of this before the last three seasons.

Me too. But I didn't have KO's ear.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
*not trying to turn this into another KO thread*

Brimah to me was one of the biggest tragedies of the previous era. I think given a different coaching situation, he could’ve developed into something special.

I’m very happy that Carlton, Polley etc are not going to suffer the same fate.
Man this is crazy
The kid didn't have the heart or the drive to work on the things he was told to by not only KO's staff but pro scouts
He was a project coming in with limited basketball experience and frankly, based on the practice and off season efforts, he did as well as could be expected
you can lead a horse to water.........
Glad you're happy - me too

Reaction Score
If you could get the right coaches to work with that guy for a year or two. I don't think Ollie's staff knew how to coach up centers. They did an awful job with Brimah. Even Thabeet should have been so much better with the right teachers.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Some of them are still on our roster and expected to be major contributors going forward.

Dan Hurley plans on some of them being major contributors going forward too. I hope you get over it someday.

Reaction Score
Man this is crazy
The kid didn't have the heart or the drive to work on the things he was told to by not only KO's staff but pro scouts
He was a project coming in with limited basketball experience and frankly, based on the practice and off season efforts, he did as well as could be expected
you can lead a horse to water....
Glad you're happy - me too

I disagree, but obviously there's nothing to be done about it now so...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Too many recruits over the last 5 years either were late to the game or did not possess the innate basketball intelligence to pick up the principles. Some of them are still on our roster and expected to be major contributors going forward.

Quite frankly, I think most kids are lacking these days coming in, some much more than others of course. This is the problem with AAU and the "brand of basketball" being taught at that level.

Coaching BBIQ and fundamentals at the college level has being paramount. They don't get that as much at the high school level.

Reaction Score
If you could get the right coaches to work with that guy for a year or two. I don't think Ollie's staff knew how to coach up centers. They did an awful job with Brimah. Even Thabeet should have been so much better with the right teachers.

Yeah Calhoun sucked as a coach Thabeet would’ve been all world with the right coaches. :eek: Brimah and Thabeet don’t belong in the same paragraph.

Reaction Score
Perfectly fine backup center project. He can play defense, rebound and get a put-back or two, that's all we are looking for behind Carlton. You hope he develops some back to the basket offensive skills, as Carlton has, and by the time he's a junior he's a solid contributor. You still recruit over him next year if you can.

There isn't any scenario where our team is going to be 12 4* and 5* guys. You need a bench of either experienced guys with low ceilings or projects that may turn into really good players.
I really think that on a real UConn team Carlton is the back up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah Calhoun sucked as a coach Thabeet would’ve been all world with the right coaches. :eek: Brimah and Thabeet don’t belong in the same paragraph.

Yeah whut? Thabeet was one of the greatest defensive centers in MCBB history. He developed nicely on offense as well. Never a 1st option, but he wasn't supposed to be. It's not like you want to turn him into Olajuwan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really think that on a real UConn team Carlton is the back up.

Last year I would have agreed. This year, he’s better as a sophomore than Kevin Freeman and many other UConn centers. Imagine a team of outside threats around him, and a real PF next to him. Guy could be very effective. He’s not the problem.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Last year I would have agreed. This year, he’s better as a sophomore than Kevin Freeman and many other UConn centers. Imagine a team of outside threats around him, and a real PF next to him. Guy could be very effective. He’s not the problem.

Kevin Freeman? I mean, he wasn't a center but ok. The problem with these comparisons is that the guys in past were playing against much better, more seasoned competition. They were also competing for time with players like that as well, so didn't get the burn.

Josh's biggest problem is his athletic limitations.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Oh, God, no, he’s not better than Kevin Freeman as a sophomore.

He’s going to be a useful player, but no - Kevin Freeman might not have ever come out of a game yet this season if he were on the roster.

Reaction Score
Yeah whut? Thabeet was one of the greatest defensive centers in MCBB history. He developed nicely on offense as well. Never a 1st option, but he wasn't supposed to be. It's not like you want to turn him into Olajuwan.

No doubt he improved dramatically every year here not sure what weyo was even talking about. A lot of people underrate Thabeet even here just because he fell short after leaving UConn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104