Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ooof. No. Has the same Bambi-on-ice physicality Amida did without the length, and "only been playing for 3 years" scares me.
How much would Brimah have helped our defense this year?

Reaction Score
4 years same player? 25% staff and 75% on the player at best. This staff maybe would get another point or 2 and maybe .5 or 1 more rebound. Didn't understand the game, nothing natural besides jumping and that hurts coach ability in a huge way. Having said that I'd take him last year and this year. But the main thing we need to improve on is smarter basketball players so the staff can impact them.
Even now with professional focused trainers he cannot put on any weight. That’s the biggest issue he for me. Let’s hope our beanpoles can fill out soon.

Reaction Score
It’s an area we lack that has slim pickins the next recruiting class. Considering we are guard centric and have Akok that can play the 3, 4 or 5 it’s not a bad alternative option. He is so raw and will need coaching but he looks athletic and can run the floor fairly well. Year 1 would be rough but the benefit is he’s a 4 year player that should get better as time goes on.

You can’t teach height.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Perfectly fine backup center project. He can play defense, rebound and get a put-back or two, that's all we are looking for behind Carlton. You hope he develops some back to the basket offensive skills, as Carlton has, and by the time he's a junior he's a solid contributor. You still recruit over him next year if you can.

There isn't any scenario where our team is going to be 12 4* and 5* guys. You need a bench of either experienced guys with low ceilings or projects that may turn into really good players.

Reaction Score
I mean, sure. But, 25% is still a pretty big impact

Like I said a couple more points and a rebound and even that is probably an exaggeration. He was athletic and clueless at the same time. Good kid wish some others had his passion though he certainly left what he had out there.

Reaction Score
I'd take another Amida in a heartbeat. Sign him up!

I'll take another Amida, especially with a coach who has already proven he can actually develop players.

Reaction Score
How much would Brimah have helped our defense this year?

Tremendously. But paired with Polley? We would only get the ball after our opponents scored. Rebounding would be scarce.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, we're gonna need someone to back up Carlton. 2019 pickings at the 5 are slim.

For next year, it has to be someone developed. 5th year makes the most sense, as it doesn't lock up a scholarship.

Fact: we've got too many marginal guys on the team as it stands right now. We don't need to add another one. Either add elite (or close to) talent, or fill holes for a year.

A guy like this makes sense when you already have a bunch of good talent in the pipeline.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
4 years same player? 25% staff and 75% on the player at best. This staff maybe would get another point or 2 and maybe .5 or 1 more rebound. Didn't understand the game, nothing natural besides jumping and that hurts coach ability in a huge way. Having said that I'd take him last year and this year. But the main thing we need to improve on is smarter basketball players so the staff can impact them.

At the college level, I think that's a little low. Especially with guys who are fundamentally so raw and haven't played since they are kids. They don't know what they don't know. They need a lot more developmental work than others. And It's no secret we haven't had legit big development for years. There's one constant there and that's the staff.

I also think it's pretty clear that we had a team that didn't work hard enough. And a lot of that comes from the top, and as Hurley says, having a "culture" in place.

I don't think Amida would have been something special, but I do think he would have been a lot better under a coach better at developing (and motivating!) guys.

Reaction Score
Ooof. No. Has the same Bambi-on-ice physicality Amida did without the length, and "only been playing for 3 years" scares me.

Rivals has him at 7'1", 225, and he sure looks to be bigger and thicker (if you can use that word on someone who only weighs 225 and is over 7 feet tall) than Brimah. Seems more powerful and able to score around the basket than Brimah at the same stage of their development while also blocking and altering a lot of shots. Of course, it's high school, but maybe he's that diamond in the rough some of us have been hoping falls in our lap?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He'd need a ton of quality Sal time not only for bulk but for reaction time. He is very slow off the ground but he makes up for with size. I'd take him. He give some quality minutes but mostly it is an investment in the future.

Reaction Score
I always though Brimah was a natural born runner who grew really tall and by default started playing basketball. Loved what he did for us when he was here, but I don't think he'll ever be able to bulk up. Perhaps this guy has the frame to add more weight and get into the 240-250lb range?

Reaction Score
We have better options imo. There are a half dozen jucos and grad transfers that would help our team immediately. This kid won't.

We might have better options whoever they might be but until we land one of those other options, we might need to keep an open book.

Reaction Score
Rivals has him at 7'1", 225, and he sure looks to be bigger and thicker (if you can use that word on someone who only weighs 225 and is over 7 feet tall) than Brimah. Seems more powerful and able to score around the basket than Brimah at the same stage of their development while also blocking and altering a lot of shots. Of course, it's high school, but maybe he's that diamond in the rough some of us have been hoping falls in our lap?

He is capable of a one-handed dunk which is a step up from Amida. In a non stalking observation that this kid is meatier than Amida as a HS senior and that there is more potential for him to gain and hold weight.

Reaction Score
We might have better options whoever they might be but until we land one of those other options, we might need to keep an open book.

These are the kinds of kids that have conditional offers. Wait to see how things pan out. Nothing wrong with that--part of the game.

Reaction Score
Here's Eric Bossi's take on him from 12/19/18:

".... An intriguing big man option in 2019 is Rick Assanza

A legit seven-foooter who is quick off his feet, has a solid upper body and plays with some fire, he's a piece that makes a few plays a game that make you shake your head and wonder how much potential he might have. Offensively he's still working, but the Phoenix (Ariz.) Hillcrest senior has only been playing for three years and there is a lot of raw talent to work with. He's been offered by Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU with Oregon, LSU, VCU, Arizona and Arizona State among those showing interest. "

Reaction Score
At the college level, I think that's a little low. Especially with guys who are fundamentally so raw and haven't played since they are kids. They don't know what they don't know. They need a lot more developmental work than others. And It's no secret we haven't had legit big development for years. There's one constant there and that's the staff.

I also think it's pretty clear that we had a team that didn't work hard enough. And a lot of that comes from the top, and as Hurley says, having a "culture" in place.

I don't think Amida would have been something special, but I do think he would have been a lot better under a coach better at developing (and motivating!) guys.

Just think too many of you underestimate the requirements for understanding the game. Can't teach someone who doesn't get the details by the time their 19-20 and this is why Sid scares me. Let me ask you this, why is Cobb still dreadful on D despite this staff hammering him everytime he overextends himself on a hedge or help or doesn't react in time to help? I can promise you a coachable kid with basketball smarts would have picked it up after a couple games this year it doesn't have to be taught for 3 years before you get it. Some players that age just don't develop the understanding of the game and it hurts them dramatically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104