Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) to visit | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) to visit

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looks like he would definitely help next year and could develop into a real impact player. Nice little face up shot and he’s not earth bound. He can jump reasonably well.

Reaction Score
He really does look good. I’d be excited to get him. My guess is that he’s being heavily courted and we want him, but it’s a battle. I’m sure some coaches have been on him for a long time.

Reaction Score
They’re not going to make a move official/public until they get the 12th scholarship situation documented and finalized. They owe everyone involved at least that much.
True but why is it taking so long?

Reaction Score
Because a young man is deciding the fate of his basketball career. Very difficult circumstance.
I'm glad it is in his hands and that it isn't the administration being difficult.

Reaction Score
Because the young man is not on campus, spending time with his friends and family, and won't return until the summer session.
The summer session FYI begins June 3rd. I have to imagine we'll have clarity by then.

Reaction Score
Why?

“Mamadou is a valued member of the program,” Hurley said, “a valued member. We have a ton of respect for Mo. He’s home for break right now, he’ll be back for Summer I (on June 3) and we’ll kind of go from there.”

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My preference is still for Ntambwe if that is still on the table. Yes it hamstrings the roster this coming year, but clearly if we have one more spot left because of an injured player, not a defector, we should have 10 abled bodied players for next year. And then would be stacked with another NBA prospect for 2020. Could be looking at a roster with 2021 NBA draft picks of Cole, Ntambwe and Akok. With Gaff / Bouk / any high ranked 2020 recruit potentially morphing into NBA caliber players during their career. We need to get that NBA pipeline going again and all indications are the Ntambwe will probably be an NBA player. Get him at all costs*.

However, I wouldn't be against getting this guy if we are out on Ntambwe. Even if he is a dud, we are guaranteed 2 scholarships for next year (and appears we are only focusing on 2 positions at this time) but may have up to 4 available for 2020. Since using this scholarship probably won't limit future recruiting potential, lets get something rather than nothing.

*Edit: "by all costs" does not mean feed someone to the wolves. But if we indeed will have 1 more spot, let's sacrifice 19/20 for huge upside in 20/21.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I noted that he doesn't seem to block the ball out of bounds, which was a trait that both Amida and Thaeet seemed unable to shake. That's a good thing.
Not sure I ever saw him bounce the ball in the video. I mean he must have, and I just missed it, right?
And as has been noted, he doesn't seem to know what to do with a defensive rebound once he secures it. Turn and ???
In his current state, I see him as 6 minutes of relief for Josh. But I also see potential.
'
"he doesn't seem to know what to do with a defensive rebound once he secures it".

Our staff should be able to handle that one. You can't teach height. Looks pretty athletic for his size.

Reaction Score
I like this kid 10x more than Coleman. Coleman looks slow, unathletic, and only shoots 3's in his highlight videos. This kid obviously needs to gain strength but looks to be a legit 7'1" who knows how to block shots and finish at the rim. Keeps the ball high and is a quick jumper which I like. He also basically does a pullup at the rim every time he dunks...definitely has hops for a guy who is 7'1", which you don't always see. Kind of reminds me of the kid Koumadje from FSU coming out. He's 7'4" but Issanza looks more athletic to me, but thinner.

Reaction Score
I like this kid 10x more than Coleman. Coleman looks slow, unathletic, and only shoots 3's in his highlight videos. This kid obviously needs to gain strength but looks to be a legit 7'1" who knows how to block shots and finish at the rim. Keeps the ball high and is a quick jumper which I like. He also basically does a pullup at the rim every time he dunks...definitely has hops for a guy who is 7'1", which you don't always see. Kind of reminds me of the kid Koumadje from FSU coming out. He's 7'4" but Issanza looks more athletic to me, but thinner.

I like that he's a quick jumper. A quick jumper who's legitimately 7 ft with long arms is an asset at minimum.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Looks like he would definitely help next year
I'm not sure how much he will. I think it is going to be incredibly hard for him to establish position in the low block. Still the change of pace of a 7 footer may make him effective enough to back up Josh in short spurts. I think his potential is the reason why we don't walk away from him.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much he will. I think it is going to be incredibly hard for him to establish position in the low block. Still the change of pace of a 7 footer may make him effective enough to back up Josh in short spurts. I think his potential is the reason why we don't walk away from him.

Change of pace is huge. Matchups are critical. There will be opposing teams that Carlton just can't defend but whom Issanza bothers, and vice versa. Having two complementary centers enabling the coach to play matchups is very valuable. This is something Calhoun was good at arranging, he was versatile in style of play and gave a lot of thought to how to match up favorably to opponents. Ollie never built in the lineup flexibility to do that.

I don't understand the concerns over Issanza. Unless there are academic or character issues, he'd be a huge pickup. Pun intended.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't understand the concerns over Issanza.
For me at least the concern is that he doesn't appear to be strong enough to hold his ground in the college game. Don't get me wrong, I hope we get him, but I am not sure he'll have as big impact his freshman year as some posters appear to be hoping for.

In some ways our situation is perfect for him. He can get experience in snippets without the pressure of being relied on for major minutes and gets a year with Sal to build his core and base strength.

Reaction Score
“Mamadou is a valued member of the program,” Hurley said, “a valued member. We have a ton of respect for Mo. He’s home for break right now, he’ll be back for Summer I (on June 3) and we’ll kind of go from there.”
Exactly. So I don't think we will hear much until then.

pj

Reaction Score
For me at least the concern is that he doesn't appear to be strong enough to hold his ground in the college game. Don't get me wrong, I hope we get him, but I am not sure he'll have as big impact his freshman year as some posters appear to be hoping for.

In some ways our situation is perfect for him. He can get experience in snippets without the pressure of being relied on for major minutes and gets a year with Sal to build his core and base strength.

We have Sal to deal with that issue. He has a frame that will put on weight. He's not as skinny as Akok, for example.

Reaction Score
The one positive of getting a big, even if he’s relatively raw is, last year we were overall a small team. Josh should get better just playing against teammates in practice that are big like the opponents he’ll see during the season

Reaction Score

Agree with everything on Coleman. Like I said, I’d rather have another scholarship open for 2020 vs. signing Coleman.

Reaction Score
We have Sal to deal with that issue. He has a frame that will put on weight. He's not as skinny as Akok, for example.
But the only reason people want him is for next year and Sal isn't a miracle worker who's gonna get results overnight

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom