Richie Springs Enters the Transfer Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs Enters the Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What about just going to Seton Hall instead…they need some players
I was responding directly to @NJHoops who mentioned coaches reaching out to their network to support guys who are most likely to transfer down a level. I posted in agreement with NJHoops’ take. I believe Richie should transfer down so that he can get lots of playing time and potentially showcase some skills he wasn’t able to do at UConn. Not sure he’d be able to achieve that at SHU.

Reaction Score
First off, thank you Richie Springs. He didn't play much on the court, but just speaks to how much talent was on this roster when a top-200 recruit barely gets on the court and is instead a top practice guy.

That being said, I can see Springs having an impact on a conference like the MAAC, similar in how UNC transfer Andrew Platek did for Siena. A deep rotational guy at UNC with a similar rank out of HS and then became a key cog for Siena.

As a Brooklyn kid, there are a lot of local teams in the A-10, MAAC, CAA, AE, etc who could really provide an opportunity for Springs to blossom.

My first thought: NJIT. They just hired former Seton Hall starting center and long time Seton Hall assistant Grant Billmeier as their head coach and he's surrounded himself with an impressive young staff with Kevin Boyle Jr (son of Montverde coach) and RaShawn Stores, the previous interim Manhattan head coach who admirably filled in for Steve Masiello during his awkward handling by admin.

If they make a few splashes, NJIT can develop as one of the better teams in the America East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We currently have a lot riding on Johnson. We know as much about him as we did about Springs, they both look the part, beyond that......

If you factor in the potential for injury to a big man it probably would be wise to use the now available scholarship on a veteran 4/5 player. My guess is the staff is already working on it.
My guess too!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This scenario is EXACTLY what I am wishing for with Richie. I hope Hurley rings his friend, SHU teammate, and current Binghamton coach Levell Sanders. Richie would earn a master’s from a great school (my alma mater), while he runs roughshod over America East.
He may even get a few NIL dollars from the guy that abandoned Cuse and pledged his cash to Binghamton.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes. Under Dan Hurley we've had 4 guys redshirt, including the one this thread is about. Akok Akok, Richie Springs, Corey Floyd Jr, Alex Karaban have all redshirted
All of those guys outside Richie redshirted because they enrolled early. They weren’t normal situations.

Redshirting is not common in college basketball.

The last person I remember redshirting for non medical reasons was Michael Bradley in 2012(?) I think. I forget if he was a Calhoun or Ollie recruit.

Reaction Score
I thank Ritchie for putting the work in on the practice Court getting everyone prepped for game action. These guys never get the credit they deserve and its importance is not usually talked about that much. Hurley brings it up from time to time.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all you did for the team Richie. Not just practice or game time but for your positive presence on the bench. Nobody was more into our games than you and now we hope you find the right place for playing time and a degree with lifetime value.
Best wishes Mr. National Champion!

Reaction Score
All of those guys outside Richie redshirted because they enrolled early. They weren’t normal situations.

Redshirting is not common in college basketball.

The last person I remember redshirting for non medical reasons was Michael Bradley in 2012(?) I think. I forget if he was a Calhoun or Ollie recruit.
It's definitely rare but definitely not a thing of the past. When teams are deep it's a good strategy, Villanova uses it a ton as well. Eric Dixon, Mikal Bridges, Angelo Brizzi were top 100 recruits and redshirted their freshman years

As evidenced by Corey Floyd though, it's a risk with the transfer portal. Even when the kids are supposedly bought in to the plan

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's definitely rare but definitely not a thing of the past. When teams are deep it's a good strategy, Villanova uses it a ton as well. Eric Dixon, Mikal Bridges, Angelo Brizzi were top 100 recruits and redshirted their freshman years

As evidenced by Corey Floyd though, it's a risk with the transfer portal. Even when the kids are supposedly bought in to the plan
Yeah I wasn’t familiar with Villanova. They’re pretty different over there with the way they do things.

Does anyone else redshirt guys they expect to contribute eventually though? It seems like for us, every single redshirt eventually doesn’t go on to actually play later on.

Reaction Score
Yeah I wasn’t familiar with Villanova. They’re pretty different over there with the way they do things.

Does anyone else redshirt guys they expect to contribute eventually though? It seems like for us, every single redshirt eventually doesn’t go on to actually play later on.
Doesn't really seem like it. I don't think it'll ever go away completely, but with NIL and the transfer portal I can't see many top guys wanting to sit so I do agree from that standpoint

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Had a few BE offers in addition to a slew of P5. I would bet he goes to a strong academic A10 type school. Fordham or GW?

Reaction Score
Good move for Richie. He's got a ring and knows would it takes to be successful. If you want to compete no sense hanging around being a practice player. For whatever reason he never got a meaningful shot during games, but hopefully he can excel at a successful program. I wonder what's going on with the FAU roster.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks for your hard work in practice Richie. Enjoy having the same number of rings as Jim Boeheim.
FINAL JEOPARDY

"This graduate of MacDuffie School played on an NCAA Men's Basketball Championship team for the University of Connecticut."

ANSWER
"Who is Richie Springs?"

Reaction Score
Nah. He's going to the AAC. Kelvin Sampson will make him all-conference!

Best of luck Richie. You were a soldier.

I think that comparison might only work if Richie was named the most improved player in the AAC while at UConn and then had his minutes drop due to a guy named Adama Sanogo.

Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to me to think about which guys might want to pursue a career on the non-playing side of basketball. Richie would be well suited, if he wants it. He could also turn his playing eligibility into two free degrees. Not a bad set up at all.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Good luck Richie!
jump spring GIF by DP Animation Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics