Richie Springs Academic Redshirt | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs Academic Redshirt

Reaction Score
Where does the "blind-sided" assumption come from? Did I miss a quote? "Not our decision" does not mean they didn't know it was coming. Is it not just as likely that they knew that there was a good chance he wouldn't fully qualify yet took him anyway?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We definitely should have fabricated grades to get our 11th man eligibile for this year. Especially since the NCAA has no history of coming down harder on UConn than other schools

Every single major school in the country does this all the time. And you can't even check or investigate anything. It's literally just filing paper work. You think all these players are taking care of business in the high school classroom?

Are you one of those people who puts faith in things like the APR? UK practically has an almost 1.000 APR every year, and their best players don't even attend class 2nd semester. Or even stay at the school once BB season is over. They just file the grades and credits necessary for it pass.

This particular situation was probably because of the reclassification. Which is up to UCONN to make sure they have all their ducks in a row ahead of time. The only way it's not is if he didn't get the standardized test scores.

As far as "11th player" go, that's a strawman. He's the 4th 'real' post. If one of the main ones gets injured, we are in serious trouble.

Reaction Score
This is a failure of the AD. If you can't slam dunk these things, that's on you. This stuff may be complicated, but's it's not that hard. A major program 'creates' what it needs to get this done.
What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Don't agree? It's complicated because of stupid NCAA bureaucracy. But it's not difficult to pass, because you should be able to attain, or create if necessary, any documentation you require.

If you were just being the grammar police....then that's on you

Actually if you read the links auror posted on the first page, the whole reason the NCAA adopted the "academic redshirt" rule (which went into effect in 2016) was to make it more difficult to 'create the documentation you require'; i.e. the point of the rule is that you can't just miraculously take and pass a whole bunch of core courses senior year or in summer school and be good to go.

The NCAA thought people were abusing the system and the rule is an attempt to address that.

So I don't see any factual support for the contention that the administration could have avoided this situation by doing something differently or by submitting additional documentation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

Unless it's a standardized test score, UCONN could probably make it happen if it pulled out all the stops. Our AD has never been keen to work the system tho (see APR).

Unless you are saying that the NCAA went above and beyond to deny Springs. I suppose that's a possibility.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Actually if you read the links auror posted on the first page, the whole reason the NCAA adopted the "academic redshirt" rule (which went into effect in 2016) was to make it more difficult to 'create the documentation you require'; i.e. the point of the rule is that you can't just miraculously take and pass a whole bunch of core courses senior year or in summer school and be good to go.

The NCAA thought people were abusing the system and the rule is an attempt to address that.

So I don't see any factual support for the contention that the administration could have avoided this situation by doing something differently or by submitting additional documentation.

I've read that before. I know what you are saying. But you think all these top players are passing all these courses ahead of time? Heck in football, a bunch of guys don't even know how to read. It's just a bunch of ink on a piece of paper.

Look, UCONN is well aware of this rule. They're not gonna apply if they don't think he met the criteria. So where is the issue?

Ya'll think this game is played by the rules. It's not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every single major school in the country does this all the time. And you can't even check or investigate anything. It's literally just filing paper work. You think all these players are taking care of business in the high school classroom?

Are you one of those people who puts faith in things like the APR? UK practically has an almost 1.000 APR every year, and their best players don't even attend class 2nd semester. Or even stay at the school once BB season is over. They just file the grades and credits necessary for it pass.
No I couldn't care less about APR, but when we've already been punished for it, it seems smart to at least attempt to comply.

As far as "11th player" go, that's a strawman. He's the 4th 'real' post. If one of the main ones gets injured, we are in serious trouble.

We're in serious trouble if Carlton goes down regardless, Springs wasn't changing that.

Reaction Score
Standard practice amongst big time athletic schools.
Are you just figuring out we aren't treated by the NCAA the same way other big time athletic schools are?

Neither of us know what happened here but blaming our athletic director for not "creating" bogus documentation is insane.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Neither of us know what happened here but blaming our athletic director for not "creating" bogus documentation is insane.

It's not insane. It's looking at historical patterns. This AD hasn't exactly acquitted itself well over the past 10+ years, to say the very least. I don't want to get into an argument about their relative merits, as that's for another topic/board. But I don't hold the AD's competence in high regard. When things go wrong, you usually look at the weak link. jmo

Anyways, I'm sure I'll disagree with posters who think things are usually done by the book.

Though, I agree that UCONN shouldn't be giving kids the bag because we seem to be under a microscope at the moment. It's a competitive disadvantage, but it's one we'll have to (and can) work around.

Reaction Score
That's true. It's not a guarantee. If he was a top 25 recruit, do you think they wouldn't have got him qualified? Or at least moved heaven and earth to do so.

They probably wanted to red shirt him anyway.
Now apply that logic to the situation we're talking about

Reaction Score
Haven't read much of this thread and jumping in late, but this isn't all that big of a deal honestly. Springs was a good get for the program but in all likelihood would not have contributed much this year. We'll be thankful to have him during his redshirt senior year.

Reaction Score
This is such a stupid rule...so the kid can practice and do all other team stuff...EXCEPT play games??? I understand in Bball there are a lot of games, but practice/workout time dwarfs game time....even more-so in FBall. So they are worried about grades...and you can't do the thing that takes the least amount of time...typical NCAA. If he took the necessary classes in the summer before accepting a scholie, could he then be a full qualifier.

Reaction Score
Haven't read much of this thread and jumping in late, but this isn't all that big of a deal honestly. Springs was a good get for the program but in all likelihood would not have contributed much this year. We'll be thankful to have him during his redshirt senior year.
Good post @tcf15. I said this to a few people earlier, but this gives Springs the year to get stronger, work on his defense and learn our system. You know who did something similar? Alexis Yetna at USF. And he was a beast last year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Which is why putting this on the AD is strange.

No, I meant the LSU footbal wanted to redshirt that kid. He was 3/4th string. So they put no effort into making it happen. We're he a top recruit, they'd have moved heaven and hell to get him eligible.

Danny definitely didn't want to red shirt Springs.

I get that people don't care about this year too much. But we need wins desperately; I don't think this team is as good as some are saying on here and needs all the help it can get. If Springs contributed to just one win, that's meaningful. again jmo

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Now apply that logic to the situation we're talking about

I don't think Danny wanted to do that.

Wouldn't have pushed hard for a reclass if he didn't.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
when is the expose about this finally going to come out? how can the hundreds of people involved in the infrastructure of illegal boosters and transcript forgeries and fake classes etc. keep this all so quiet? for Duke to be so "clean" they must have this down to a science. i envision these schools have mob law firms on retainer working with shell companies in the cayman islands doing their dirty work. it's a john grisham novel. if anyone ever talks their car blows up in the driveway or they have a scuba diving "accident"

Getting way off topic here, but neither the NCAA nor the schools themselves want anything investigated. They never have. If they did, it would have happened already. Dealing with it is a huge headache. The NCAA usually only acts on big things when there's enough noise to force their hand. It's not like this stuff is a new thing. Been going on forever. It's not like it's a conspiracy or anything. Nobody benefits from 'scandals'.

Back to Springs. Looks like folks are happy he isn't available this year. That's their prerogative. I don't agree. I'd much rather have more options.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It’s because we’re a traumatized fan base and any little change or incident makes us nervous. It does appear to be a good situation for Springs.
Perhaps we can get an online therapist to monitor us on BY posts and "coach us up".

Reaction Score
This is academics? Where was the AD, or whomever? No mud wrestling with the NCAA? Understand redshirt, but will this cost a year? Team is a bit short on talented heads available THIS year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom