Richie Springs Academic Redshirt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs Academic Redshirt

Reaction Score
\

We've had 3 years in a row get derailed by injuries. I'm fine with making decisions based on fear of injury
So throw the kid out there when he isn’t physically ready and lose a year of eligibility? That’s a shortsighted moved motivated purely by fear. I’m glad our coach doesn’t make decisions that way

Reaction Score
I don’t see why many are opposed to this. We’ve seen what happened to Whaley in the weight room and Carlton skill wise over a year with this coaching staff. Why aren’t people excited to see this kid play in the big East for 4 years

Reaction Score
the aftershocks of losing kofi will be felt for at least 2 seasons. save us Javonte Brown Ferguson!

i hope bouknight can force his way into the starting lineup so Polley can be the backup PF. otherwise we've only got 3 guys playing most of their minutes at the PF and C positions. juggling the rotations will be key especially if there's foul trouble.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What an atrocious start for our top 20 2019 class. One missed a month of practice with an ankle injury, another one got arrested and will almost certainly be suspended, and another one is redshirting because he’s academically ineligible. I’m sure I’ll get panned for speaking the truth here but this is no bueno.

Reaction Score
I don’t see why many are opposed to this. We’ve seen what happened to Whaley in the weight room and Carlton skill wise over a year with this coaching staff. Why aren’t people excited to see this kid play in the big East for 4 years
They’re afraid

Reaction Score
So throw the kid out there when he isn’t physically ready and lose a year of eligibility? That’s a shortsighted moved motivated purely by fear. I’m glad our coach doesn’t make decisions that way

The use of "academic" seems to indicate this wasn't our decision. See auror's post. I don't think it's the end of the world though. Good chance for Springs to get acclimated, get stronger, and keep growing.

We'll have issues if Carlton or Whaley gets hurt, but we would have had those issues anyway.

Reaction Score
Even in the event of an injury, Springs wasn’t going to come in and be our savior. Would’ve helped a bit, but it’s not like we’re losing anyone who was expected to be a major contributor this season. The added time to practice and workout will be a positive in the end, imo.

Reaction Score
The use of "academic" seems to indicate this wasn't our decision. See auror's post. I don't think it's the end of the world though. Good chance for Springs to get acclimated, get stronger, and keep growing.

We'll have issues if Carlton or Whaley gets hurt, but we would have had those issues anyway.
That’s a wrinkle. Regardless as you stated I don’t see it as a negative. Load up for the big east. We have enough this season to show massive improvement imo

Reaction Score
Because it leaves us at 10 players who can play, any injuries and we're screwed. We've seen this scenario play out year after year.

Reaction Score
then why take richie for 2019? We probably could've easily landed him for 2020 and gotten a usable player this year

Reaction Score
He’s not at the exhibition tonight from what I can see. Mamadou, bouknight, And RJ all in street clothes.

Reaction Score
Carlton ... will benefit. I always thought this was part of Springs recruitment. We need Josh to be challenged in practice and ensure he develops this year.

Reaction Score
then why take richie for 2019? We probably could've easily landed him for 2020 and gotten a usable player this year
There was nobody for us to get. Staff thought we were getting Kofi and got burned, it was too late with Wahab at that point. I like the move for a normal roster but we are already down 2 players, 10 players is really thin to start a season.

Reaction Score
I don’t know anything about his academic standing and whether this decision is related to that and I dont want to step over the line commenting on it but could redshirting him have been decided back when he committed ? Hurley is a calculated coach who has tiered plans mapped out for year after year. He saw the talent and upside and wanted him before someone else got in and signed him. Having him practicing for a year in his system and working with Sal is more beneficial to UConn and Springs than Springs playing a post year of HS ball or sitting on the UConn bench this year playing sparingly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Even if Whalley didn't improve I see very little chance that Springs would be a contributor.
This allows him to acclimate to college study and practice with the big boys
It's better than another year of prep school and I see nothing but positives in this at this point in time

Reaction Score
the aftershocks of losing kofi will be felt for at least 2 seasons. save us Javonte Brown Ferguson!

i hope bouknight can force his way into the starting lineup so Polley can be the backup PF. otherwise we've only got 3 guys between the PF and C positions. juggling the rotations will be key especially if there's foul trouble.

If Bouknight's legal troubles don't haunt him and/or hurt him, is it really a possibility he takes a spot from AG or CV without an injury occuring?

Reaction Score
If Bouknight's legal troubles don't haunt him and/or hurt him, is it really a possibility he takes a spot from AG or CV without an injury occuring?

no- he would take polley's spot in the starting lineup, if anyones (thus polley would transition from starting SF to backup PF as i said)

polley's been playing a lot of PF in this exhibition game so far anyways, so hopefully not a big deal. hurley will just have to do a lot of subbing

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm assuming if he is or becomes academically eligible and he's practicing and developing, they can reverse this in the case of a depleted bench.

Reaction Score
Everyone talking about academic ineligibility is off.

Think of this as locking up a player in recruiting and having him basically as an on campus post graduate year. Practice with team, build physically, save 4 years of eligibility.

And if u don't like it, you might be upset about the plan for Javonte Brown Ferguson. See a pattern?

Akok
Springs
Javonte Brown Ferguson

??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member