Richie Springs Academic Redshirt | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs Academic Redshirt

Reaction Score
then why take richie for 2019? We probably could've easily landed him for 2020 and gotten a usable player this year
This is exactly what I was thinking. Why use up the schollie? Doesn't pass the sniff test. Unless staff was blindsided by the issue which I would find hard to believe.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I was thinking. Why use up the schollie? Doesn't pass the sniff test. Unless staff was blindsided by the issue which I would find hard to believe.
They were blindsided. Hurley specifically said this wasn’t our decision. NCAA did this not us

Reaction Score
NCAA strikes UConn again..what’s new?
Not good for our depth this year.
But probably works out better for us in the long run.
More Center depth when we get back into in the Big East. Springs will come in strong and ready to contribute. Hopefully alongside Javonte Brown Ferguson

Reaction Score
Really sucks he isn’t eligible. Wonder how this was missed knowing how bad we needed big man help. Or maybe they were just hoping he would stick because they had other options.

Reaction Score
They were blindsided. Hurley specifically said this wasn’t our decision. NCAA did this not us
This is the tough part to understand. "The NCAA did this to us!" Don't we have the right people on staff to vet the clearing process any longer? Did the NCAA change rules in flight? I find it hard to believe that we put some much effort behind recruiting and then have this happen b/c of the NCAA.

If this was the expectation (that he wouldn't qualify), they are the staff but at least lean that way.

Reaction Score
This is the tough part to understand. "The NCAA did this to us!" Don't we have the right people on staff to vet the clearing process any longer? Did the NCAA change rules in flight? I find it hard to believe that we put some much effort behind recruiting and then have this happen b/c of the NCAA.

If this was the expectation (that he wouldn't qualify), they are the staff but at least lean that way.
Agree on this part.......typically people know eligibility well ahead of time unless they are awaiting results of a pending SAT or ACT. Very strange part of this. Maybe a class he took was discredited once thoroughly reviewed

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agree on this part.......typically people know eligibility well ahead of time unless they are awaiting results of a pending SAT or ACT. Very strange part of this. Maybe a class he took was discredited once thoroughly reviewed

Once it was clear that Vladir Manuel wasn't coming here, this was the only possible use of a scholarship. There weren't any other big man out there that we could've brought in that would have played more than garbage time this year. The staff likes Springs, and this way they can get him here for a year to practice with the team and work with Sal Alosi to get him bigger. If they waited a year to bring him in, he would've been a freshman that had zero experience with our program and no strength training to speak of.

Assuming he is able to get and keep his grades up, this is a good thing.

pj

Reaction Score

Even if the staff was blindsided, it would still have made sense to use the scholarship on Springs. Even with spending another year at prep school, he might still have been academically ineligible. He's way ahead of the game practicing with the team this year.

Reaction Score
The staff knew the risks, and decided to pursue him anyway because (1) they do see potential and (2) there were no other realistic options for a big. So the choices were to either not take anyone, take someone who you know isn't good enough just to fill a spot that you then have weighing down your roster for multiple years (the Ollie/Kwentin Williams approach), or take someone who might be good enough but also might not qualify. I would have been fine with option 1, and option 3 is ok as well.

Reaction Score
Springs stays in Prep. Springs blows up and gets big time offers. BY complains about how we can't close. Yes I would have liked to see a little of him this year but this may work out for the best for both Richie and UConn. BTW I wouldn't be completely shocked if we end up with Javonte Brown Ferguson and he redshirts.

Reaction Score
can't help looking into the future...but come 2021 either redshirt sophomore Springs, redshirt freshman Javonte Brown Ferguson, or a true freshmen (Etienne, Sonogo, etc) will have to be the starting Center...

if Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirts he isnt going from redshirt to starter soooo we better get a legit center in next year's recruiting class...

(Cliff starting as a sophomore is ideal, of course)

Reaction Score
can't help looking into the future...but come 2021 either redshirt sophomore Springs, redshirt freshman Javonte Brown Ferguson, or a true freshmen (Etienne, Sonogo, etc) will have to be the starting Center...

if Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirts he isnt going from redshirt to starter soooo we better get a legit center in next year's recruiting class.
I doubt they redshirt Javonte Brown Ferguson.

C

Chief00

Chief will have no comment on Richard’s academics. I am just glad he’s at UConn and doing The Grind. Good things will happen for those who do the work and are patient.

Reaction Score
I doubt they redshirt Javonte Brown Ferguson.
Same. Barring Springs proving next year that he can be our starting center, I highly doubt we’ll want a redshirt freshman Javonte Brown Ferguson and a true freshman being our centers two years from now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It’s a shame because the pieces are there for this year’s team to make some noise.

In the exhibition game I commented to my wife that Polley and Carleton played the entire first half tentatively.

In the second half they turned it on and played like I expected them to play. I had no clue about the announcement of Springs prior to the streaming announcement.

There are other possibilities for the slow start but one has to wonder if the coaches recognize the lack of depth and deliberately have the front court players playing to avoid fouling.

In spite of the negative affect his absence has this season he’s a player worth waiting for and the benefits of getting him on campus this year as expressed in the posts above strongly outweigh the loss to this season.

Reaction Score
Once it was clear that Vladir Manuel wasn't coming here, this was the only possible use of a scholarship. There weren't any other big man out there that we could've brought in that would have played more than garbage time this year. The staff likes Springs, and this way they can get him here for a year to practice with the team and work with Sal Alosi to get him bigger. If they waited a year to bring him in, he would've been a freshman that had zero experience with our program and no strength training to speak of.

Assuming he is able to get and keep his grades up, this is a good thing.
That’s all well and good but had zero to do with my point. This is in reference to hurley claiming they were somewhat blindsided by being declared only a partial qualifier by the NCAA, usually eligibility is not hard to predict

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That’s all well and good but had zero to do with my point. This is in reference to hurley claiming they were somewhat blindsided by being declared only a partial qualifier by the NCAA, usually eligibility is not hard to predict

None of us know the full situation, but I'm not buying that they were truly blindsided by this. Even if they were, I don't think it wouldn't changed anything if they knew all of this 3 months ago.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a failure of the AD. If you can't slam dunk these things, that's on you. This stuff may be complicated, but's it's not that hard. A major program 'creates' what it needs to get this done.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's good for Richie. And he'll develop here more than he would in high school

It's nothing but bad for UCONN this year.

Reaction Score
It's good for Richie. And he'll develop here more than he would in high school

It's nothing but bad for UCONN this year.
"This year" it's a negative.

But this kid is a bit of a late bloomer. This could be great for UConn in his 3rd, 4th, maybe even 5th year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
"This year" it's a negative.

But this kid is a bit of a late bloomer. This could be great for UConn in his 3rd, 4th, maybe even 5th year.

Sure, that's why I added 'this year'. ;)

If it's good for Richie, as I think it is, it'll be better for UCONN long term.

It's not a good look for the AD tho.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
'yardin

Don't agree? It's complicated because of stupid NCAA bureaucracy. But it's not difficult to pass, because you should be able to attain, or create if necessary, any documentation you require.

If you were just being the grammar police....then that's on you

Reaction Score
It's complicated because of stupid NCAA bureaucracy. But it's not difficult to pass, because you should be able to attain, or create if necessary, any documentation you requir

when is the expose about this finally going to come out? how can the hundreds of people involved in the infrastructure of illegal boosters and transcript forgeries and fake classes etc. keep this all so quiet? for Duke to be so "clean" they must have this down to a science. i envision these schools have mob law firms on retainer working with shell companies in the cayman islands doing their dirty work. it's a john grisham novel. if anyone ever talks their car blows up in the driveway or they have a scuba diving "accident"

meanwhile, UConn has a couple TA's maybe willing to do players' homework while theyre out getting their free scoop of ice cream at the dairy bar every other wednesday

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom