Rhode Island beat no good teams this year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rhode Island beat no good teams this year

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned Ohio State earlier. Chris Holtman? Came from Butler as HC but was an assistant there then got that job after being an interim initially. Gardner-Webb is in his lineage, for crying out loud. There are lots of good coaches out there. Maybe he will implode year 2-3-4. Who knows? Maybe Hurley is the guy, but I'd cast a wide net. I'm not as convinced as some that he's all we need to look at.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Your implying that Perno was fired by uconn. Did they buy out his contract? How much did he make? I didn't know it went down that way. Or are you just making stuff up?
Dom Perno wasn’t fired and replaced with JC?

And what does KO’s buyout have to do with the implied premise of this thread (that Hurley would be a bad hire because his league is so-so)?

If the bone yard existed in 1995: Calhoun needs to be fired he can't make a final four with Ray Allen!
If your point is that we’ve always had dimwits in the fanbase, I concur.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We need college experience, not professional experience. I imagine college recruiting is the last thing Doc wants to be doing with his time anyway.

And Billy ain't getting fired. Maybe he'd leave for UK/Duke I've no idea.

Wait, Doc who? Rivers? The guy the Celtics had to let go because he can't be bothered to teach young players? That Doc? Yeah...I'm sure he'd be terrific. He might even put in an hour a day.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Another way of looking at it is JC had them as freshmen and sophomores, KO got them as juniors and seniors. Back when players improved in this program over time.

Yes, and their formative years, in terms of work level and discipline, came under Calhoun. Plus Calhoun was at many of the practices during those first two KO years, and Blaney was lead assistant for the first one, and Hobbs the second. Experienced head coaches.

Reaction Score
Yes, and their formative years, in terms of work level and discipline, came under Calhoun. Plus Calhoun was at many of the practices during those first two KO years, and Blaney was lead assistant for the first one, and Hobbs the second. Experienced head coaches.

How do you know Calhoun was at "many" practices? And assuming you do know what was his role?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Happens.

BTW, whatever happened to that crazy uncle you gave your tickets to that made a fool of himself and got kicked out of a game?

You do look ridiculous using all-caps and excessive exclamation points. It gives off the impression that you’re not level-headed enough for actual dialogue.

Reaction Score
You do look ridiculous using all-caps and excessive exclamation points. It gives off the impression that you’re not level-headed enough for actual dialogue.
Full disclosure. I also have a potty mouth in real life.

Reaction Score
Happens.

BTW, whatever happened to that crazy uncle you gave your tickets to that made a fool of himself and got kicked out of a game?

Fool of himself? I get a kick out of those who find this so awful. He’s closer to hero than fool. I mean the refs were awful someone needed to point it out to them he just happened to have seats that were too close to the situation. I thought everyone had a moment or 2 like this during their years of being a fan?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If the Boneyard had existed in Spring of 1986:

Northeastern didn't beat any good teams this season and the ECAC stinks! I say we stick with Perno a couple more years and see if he figures it out.

Wow, Hurley is now going to be the next Jim Calhoun? Holy cow, that's awesome, we should sign him up immediately and I wouldn't be joking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I existed and was a UConn fan in 1986, I was praying for Jim Calhoun. Even at Northeastern he turned at least one player into an NBA 1st rounder, his undersized teams were national leaders in rebounding margin and defensive FG % every year and his teams were tough outs in the post season, throwing scares at highly rated / seeded teams.

URI has done none of that, but if they can compete with and scare the very best teams in the country, if they have a deep run in the tourny I'll take a second look.

Last edited:

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
No one knows how good of a career Hurley will ultimately have (wherever he winds up coaching), but it’s time to make a change and Hurley is probably our best option. In ‘86 it was time to make a change, and JC probably was (and I think proved to be) our best option.

Anyone who tries to stretch my analogy further than that is likely being disingenuous / has an agenda.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How do you know Calhoun was at "many" practices? And assuming you do know what was his role?

Because everyone associated with the program, including JC and Ollie, said he was.

Reaction Score
Because everyone associated with the program, including JC and Ollie, said he was.

I remember it being reported that Calhoun was around the program, maybe had an office @ Gampel and that he and Ollie spoke regularly, maybe even daily. That doesn't mean he was at practices.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dom Perno wasn’t fired and replaced with JC?

And what does KO’s buyout have to do with the implied premise of this thread (that Hurley would be a bad hire because his league is so-so)?

If your point is that we’ve always had dimwits in the fanbase, I concur.

Perno was under the microscope and when Earl Kelley was caught with the gun, that was the final straw
He was given an option to leave with some type of nice payout or get canned
He bounced back real nice
Dom is a nice guy and a real pleasure to talk to - he knows basketball

Reaction Score
at this moment, they are being obliterated by st. joes.
Well, I figure even a good team gets ONE mulligan per year. Yes, they are getting spanked, but Uconn has had 8 games like this. But wow, 54-21, I had to do a double, no triple take....

I bet they get at least within 10 to 12.

Reaction Score
Currently down by 34 with under 9 minutes left. URI was 13 point favorites in this game...guess they forgot to show up for this one.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No one knows how good of a career Hurley will ultimately have (wherever he winds up coaching), but it’s time to make a change and Hurley is probably our best option. In ‘86 it was time to make a change, and JC probably was (and I think proved to be) our best option.

Anyone who tries to stretch my analogy further than that is likely being disingenuous / has an agenda.

well in 1986 Perno never one a single game in a conference tournament, was one and done in every BET, and didn't participate in the Dance for 7 straight seasons, had 4 straight losing seasons and never won an NCAA Championship.

Perno never landed another coaching job, out of the profession at age 46

So if you want to do a fair analogy, you need to expand yours just a tad

Reaction Score
Alright guys.
URI has been good all season, whereas our boys have taken multiple blowouts. Every team is subject to one awful game a season, as if it's a cheat day.
That being said, bring in lord Hurley at all costs.

Reaction Score

Things I noticed and liked:

A lot of "I's" and not a lot of "we's". Taking full responsibility of the product presented.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I like Hurley, quite a bit.

The buffalo guy is also intriguing to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom