Rhode Island beat no good teams this year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rhode Island beat no good teams this year

Reaction Score
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

No, you don't get it. You don't get it because you don't want to. It isn't just about drills. It is about picking the right players and then molding them mentally by disciplining them. Those were Calhoun players.

You are definitely correct in "picking, molding and disciplining" them. The fact you always need to throw out "Calhoun players" is wrong though. He did a better job with Calhouns players than JC did (minus one although that's up for grabs too), care to explain that one?

But again, the main thing is the initial point which you are correct on, the 2014 team doesn't matter at this point but it's KO's.

Reaction Score
You are definitely correct in "picking, molding and disciplining" them. The fact you always need to throw out "Calhoun players" is wrong though. He did a better job with Calhouns players than JC did (minus one although that's up for grabs too), care to explain that one?

But again, the main thing is the initial point which you are correct on, the 2014 team doesn't matter at this point but it's KO's.
Sure, I'll explain it. KO befriended, motivated and inspired those kids. Really, it was a perfect storm of sorts. Calhoun did what he did best and then KO took over and did what he does best. And neither did what they could do to screw it up because of how it all played out, timing-wise.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we wouldn't finish top 5 in the A-10 this year

we all know we're bad, this conversation is about all the hype given to a program winning a very weak conference in 17/18. The A-10 has had some special years, 17/18 is not one of them,

The top of our schedule has been infinitely stronger, playing 8 games vs teams with legitimate FF aspirations

Does their entire conference own even 1 OOC win over a top 50 program?

PS: We'd do well in that conference, we'd be > 500 and no worse than 4th. They just don't have the size and talent that gives us yuuuuuge problems. It be like playing a Tulane or worse 5 out of every 6 games (was going to say UCF or SMU, but those programs are better than the A-10 schools)

Reaction Score
Sure, I'll explain it. KO befriended, motivated and inspired those kids. Really, it was a perfect storm of sorts. Calhoun did what he did best and then KO took over and did what he does best. And neither did what they could do to screw it up because of how it all played out, timing-wise.

Ok! LOL :rolleyes:

Deandre Daniels hardly played for JC, Giffey very little. Bazz was a nice player, not a great teammate his soph year though and he improved dramatically under KO, who was his coach anyway as was Boat. JC almost ripped Boat every game. He made a Kromah a piece which most people on this board doubted coming in. I love JC but all these guys flourished under KO those 2 years and people that take that away are annoying. He's been awful the last 2 years but it's disrespectful to take away what they did under him for 2 years.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Deandre Daniels hardly played for JC, Giffey very little. Bazz was a nice player, not a great teammate his soph year though and he improved dramatically under KO, who was his coach anyway as was Boat. JC almost ripped Boat every game. He made a Kromah a piece which most people on this board doubted coming in. I love JC but all these guys flourished under KO those 2 years and people that take that away are annoying. He's been awful the last 2 years but it's disrespectful to take away what they did under him for 2 years.
Another way of looking at it is JC had them as freshmen and sophomores, KO got them as juniors and seniors. Back when players improved in this program over time.

Reaction Score
Another way of looking at it is JC had them as freshmen and sophomores, KO got them as juniors and seniors. Back when players improved in this program over time.

Not really because they hadn't improved or they would have been playing for JC. And he did coach Shabazz and Boat anyway so why no credit. I know why because you guys are so ridiculous with all the guilt you want to throw the poor guys way, that's all you guys care about.

He did a really nice job then something happened, and we are where we are. To try to diminish what he did is a joke, it really is.

Reaction Score

It all breaks down pretty simply.

KO did a great job his first two years. To win 20 games his first year and the National Championship in year two, nobody would have done better.

Since then there hasn't been much reason for optimism. Even 2016, with lots of talent, was underwhelming with just one NCAA tourney win. The other 3 seasons have all been awful, at least by UConn standards. At this point it really doesn't matter why.

So from my standpoint I say thanks to KO for a great job the first two years. However, at this point it's beyond clear that the KO era is over. Those who refuse to see that just are not being objective. It is simply time to move on.

Reaction Score
It all breaks down pretty simply.

KO did a great job his first two years. To win 20 games his first year and the National Championship in year two, nobody would have done better.

Since then there hasn't been much reason for optimism. Even 2016, with lots of talent, was underwhelming with just one NCAA tourney win. The other 3 seasons have all been awful, at least by UConn standards. At this point it really doesn't matter why.

So from my standpoint I say thanks to KO for a great job the first two years. However, at this point it's beyond clear that the KO era is over. Those who refuse to see that just are not being objective. It is simply time to move on.

Agree but do think the one W over Colorado year would've been fine if he hadn't followed that up with 2 horrid seasons. The team was overrated in our minds I believe, but to not add the right pieces and coach the one's that were there after that year has been his downfall. He's been awful no getting around it. Doesn't matter if it's because he didn't work hard on the recruiting trail, didn't teach well enough or is a crappy X's and O's guy he's simply failed the last 2 years like no Husky coach has in a long while and it is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree but do think the one W over Colorado year would've been fine if he hadn't followed that up with 2 horrid seasons. The team was overrated in our minds I believe, but to not add the right pieces and coach the one's that were there after that year has been his downfall. He's been awful no getting around it. Doesn't matter if it's because he didn't work hard on the recruiting trail, didn't teach well enough or is a crappy X's and O's guy he's simply failed the last 2 years like no Husky coach as in a long while and it is unacceptable.

Sure, I guess a tourney appearance and a couple of wins the next season would have people (including me) looking at 2016 a little differently. But when one tourney appearance with one win is the high water mark over a 4 season period, the only logical conclusion is that 4 year stretch has been a big disappointment.

My guess is that there have already been some discussions based on KO's appearance yesterday. He truly looks like he knows it's over, and on some level that may be a relief to him.

Reaction Score
Well, they did beat Seton Hall. But yeah, other than that the OP isn't wrong. Providence, St Bonaventure are ok I guess.

Reaction Score
You do realize he is only coaching one junior this year and the rest are first or second year guys right? Wouldn't that make the argument that the next 2 years should be really good again?

Reaction Score
You do realize he is only coaching one junior this year and the rest are first or second year guys right? Wouldn't that make the argument that the next 2 years should be really good again?

Adams and Cobb are both Juniors and Larrier is 22 1/2 years old.

It's not working because it's not working. Next year or the year after wouldn't be much different in my opinion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rhody hasnt beaten anyone so we should keep KO?

Reaction Score
It was a perfect storm in so many ways. Storm Shabazz! The Sweet 16 & Elite 8 a virtual home game. A team we had already beaten in the semis and another Cinderella (Kentucky was actually seeded lower, an 8) in the title game. It was a great accomplishment and the team had to take advantage of its benefits and it did. But it was also one of those moon in the 7th house Jupiter aligned with Mars situations that happen in sports.

Reaction Score
and their league stinks.

We're 0-14 against KenPom top 50 teams, including 0-5 at home, over the last 2 years. And our league stinks.

At least Hurley wins the games he's supposed to win:
RI 21-0 in Quadrants 2-4 games this year. 21-3 last year.

UConn 13-4 against Quadrants 2-4 this year (including 2 Quadrant 3 losses). Last year a horrendous 14-9 with 3 Q3 losses and a Q4 loss. With UConn resources. Plus we were fortunate and won 2 OT Q4 games.

As the bulk of the schedule, taking care of business in Q2-Q4 is how you get into the tournament. Q1 wins get you your seed.

Reaction Score
If the Boneyard had existed in Spring of 1986:

Northeastern didn't beat any good teams this season and the ECAC stinks! I say we stick with Perno a couple more years and see if he figures it out.
Your implying that Perno was fired by uconn. Did they buy out his contract? How much did he make? I didn't know it went down that way. Or are you just making stuff up?

If the bone yard existed in 1995: Calhoun needs to be fired he can't make a final four with Ray Allen!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom