Requiem for the Big East | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Requiem for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Question for those who watched it already. I'm working from home today, but thought about putting it on as background noise while I work. Will watching this likely piss me off, or is it a solid production, as some pointed out, more about its founding and demise and less about any one or group of member teams? Of course we all want to see UConn prominently depicted here, but that might not fit in with the purpose of this piece.

Please advise! Thanks.

If you imagine the title being "The first 5 years of the Big East and its Forming" and that sounds good, you will really enjoy it.

If you expect to see a documentary on the entire history of the league, you will hate it.

Reaction Score
Wow things must be pretty slow for you....lol.asking and answering your own questions ....kind of spooky.

Naw, just getting my Irish on a little early in honor of St. Pat's day. Of course, nowadays, seeing anything with the abbreviation ‘NCAA’ in it makes me want to show more than just a little of my Irish :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you imagine the title being "The first 5 years of the Big East and its Forming" and that sounds good, you will really enjoy it.

If you expect to see a documentary on the entire history of the league, you will hate it.
I ended up watching it and it was interesting learning about how the BE was formed and what led to its demise, but it seems clear that they made an effort to leave UConn out of it. JC was barely in it compared to the other HOF BE coaches. I was listening more than watching, but I don't believe there was a single clip of a UConn team/player on the floor. Considering how often UConn was in the BET finals, it seems like a purposeful omission. It was a GT and SU Love fest.

Reaction Score
I was expecting to hate it, but it was interesting as a Big East fan. There wasn't much mention of UCONN, but like other posters have written it's more about the beginning and the end, not the middle - though you'd thin GTown & Syracuse were the only teams in it.

My takeaway was that it was a very special time that won't happen again thanks to the money in football. The BE is for all intents and purposes dead and as upsetting as UCONN's situation is, I'd be much moe upset being a current BE member... B/c despite paying for the name, they got aren't the BE.

Really liked how they all think BC was slime, the way they left. Thought Boeheim was good - which I really hate to admit.

Reaction Score
hard to really believe you'd rather be AAC than this version of BE. i don't buy it. uconn would jump ship to this version of BE in a heartbeat and be the dominant program. they'd never get the invite being a state school with a "football program"

Reaction Score
hard to really believe you'd rather be AAC than this version of BE. i don't buy it. uconn would jump ship to this version of BE in a heartbeat and be the dominant program. they'd never get the invite being a state school with a "football program"

Huh? UConn "would jump" ship. Wha? UConn is here by choice.

Reaction Score
It's not an option - no football... If UCONN was on the BE, we'd still on a constant search to get into one of the major conferences. The c7 knows that which is why the wouldn't allow the schools w FB teams.

UCONN may get into a major conference but the. C7 schools will always be In the mid-major category - not being a hater, I just don't see how anyone with perspective could say otherwise.

So, No I wouldn't rather be in this new BE.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
3x more ncaa championships than any other Big East team and no credit...sounds about par for the course. Before someone reminds me of Louisville, they brought a couple wins in with them.
Ps Happy St. Pats to all!

Reaction Score
and the break up of the Big E has really hurt college hoops, imo

Reaction Score
Aresco needs to get those cool conference t-shirts like they did for the Big East.
People need to get pumped up for this conference...

Reaction Score
Huh? UConn "would jump" ship. Wha? UConn is here by choice.
uconn is in the AAC by lack of choice. they fell there without options. if this version of the BE were to invite uconn they definitely would join. it is a silly rhetorical because they can't give up football and would never be invited as already stated. but let's not pretend that uconn "chose" the AAC.

Reaction Score
It's not an option - no football... If UCONN was on the BE, we'd still on a constant search to get into one of the major conferences. The c7 knows that which is why the wouldn't allow the schools w FB teams.

UCONN may get into a major conference but the. C7 schools will always be In the mid-major category - not being a hater, I just don't see how anyone with perspective could say otherwise.

So, No I wouldn't rather be in this new BE.

so if your hopes don't come true and no one comes calling... you're legitimately pleased with where you ended up (and what it will be next year without louisville)? it is certainly a possibility that no one comes calling.

Reaction Score
No, it would s$ck - would also but no more than being in the NBE. I don't recall anyone being happy in the BE last year & Louisville & continue we're in it.

Reaction Score
to each his own i suppose. i just find in a bit insincere that fans of what is a premier basketball school are more pleased with next year and beyond's version of AAC as opposed to the current version of the BE. cinci, uconn, and memphis going forward... and without louisville you'll need the whole conference to start improving OOC scheduling and actually win those games. the bottom of that league is really a drag.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
to each his own i suppose. i just find in a bit insincere that fans of what is a premier basketball school are more pleased with next year and beyond's version of AAC as opposed to the current version of the BE. cinci, uconn, and memphis going forward... and without louisville you'll need the whole conference to start improving OOC scheduling and actually win those games. the bottom of that league is really a drag.
Honestly, both leagues suck. There is no way Providence would make a conference tournament final in a league with decent depth. The only reason they are in the dance is they never had to face UConn, UL, Cuse, Pitt, Cinci, or for that matter Memphis. Yeah, the bottom of the AAC suuuucks, but so does the NNNBE's bottom. I want nothing to do with any of those schools, aside from taking Nova out of the tournament. We have to tough it out in the AAC for a few years, keep both bball programs successful, get the football program to a reasonably high level and hope to God the ACC or Big Ten come calling before the athletic department runs out of money.

Reaction Score
i mean... the bottom of the BE is below average, but if we are being honest the bottom of AAC is atrocious. it's not really close. "hoping to god" seems like a sound plan. probably would have better luck with 7 catholic schools around you.

Reaction Score
peeps said:
i mean... the bottom of the BE is below average, but if we are being honest the bottom of AAC is atrocious. it's not really close. "hoping to god" seems like a sound plan. probably would have better luck with 7 catholic schools around you.

Why don't you take your opinions to the conference realignment board, and stop trying to pump either conference as better than the other....they both suck.

Reaction Score
well... my opinions are pretty on topic for this thread so i'll just keep them here. i'm being pretty fair. neither conference sucks... yet. it just isn't so.

Reaction Score
uconn is in the AAC by lack of choice. they fell there without options. if this version of the BE were to invite uconn they definitely would join. it is a silly rhetorical because they can't give up football and would never be invited as already stated. but let's not pretend that uconn "chose" the AAC.

Uh,no. You're absolutely wrong. UConn would not choose to end its chances of joining a real conference by giving up football. That's just dumb. time may run out on UConn and we may get frozen out when the big changes come, but UConn isn't going to deliberately decide to destroy the program by joining the BE.

Reaction Score
Uh,no. You're absolutely wrong. UConn would not choose to end its chances of joining a real conference by giving up football. That's just dumb. time may run out on UConn and we may get frozen out when the big changes come, but UConn isn't going to deliberately decide to destroy the program by joining the BE.
i'm not terribly surprised that you didn't understand me.

Reaction Score
I don't think they could have made the 30430 on realignment that I wanted to see. The decision makers are still in positions of power and have their own reputations to guard. Also ESPN's lawyers would heavily censor Mickey's role in all of this.

Reaction Score
Biggest irony is that the Big East made ESPN what it is and ESPN tore it apart. It's a real tragedy. Things would be totally different if 3 basketball schools didn't block PSU. I'm guessing it was Villanova, whose trustees killed 1A football on 81, Saint Johns and Georgetown.

Reaction Score
AAC needs Temple to get better again. They were supposed to be one of the upper-level hoops programs in this conference and they were a no-show this year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Biggest irony is that the Big East made ESPN what it is and ESPN tore it apart. It's a real tragedy. Things would be totally different if 3 basketball schools didn't block PSU. I'm guessing it was Villanova, whose trustees killed 1A football on 81, Saint Johns and Georgetown.

If you want to find the center of every fatal decision the Big East ever made, you'll find Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom