Requiem for the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Requiem for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So far, the 2013 BET (no UConn), and a nostalgia trip for Providence in the 70's. Let's see how much airtime we get. My guess, maybe 60 seconds out of the 45 minute running time.

There is a reason for that. Late in the program they made it clear that the BE killed itself by turning down ESPN's offer.

I also found out that beyond being one of the names they showed as an original member, we really weren't part of the conference.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It was okay up until Georgetown and Syracuse started sucking each other off at the end. Almost vomited.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the 2 hour Syracuse and Georgetown circle jerk ESPN!

Exactly. This was bait and switch or at least an incorrectly titled documentary. It was about the original coaches back in the 80s, mostly Syracuse and Hoyas. The BE was only a sideshow to explain why the rivalry ceased.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not all that upset at not showing UConn hoops highlights, but in the narrative ESPN presented, I am surprised there was no mention of UConn being told to build a football stadium and everything would be peaches.

Reaction Score
I expected to see very little of UConn but there was absolutely nothing aside from a few 15 second snippets of Calhoun talking about how tough Thompson and Boeheim are, I don't even think they ever mentioned Jim Calhoun by name so it could have just been some reporter from Boston who mumbles.

Reaction Score
I'm not all that upset at not showing UConn hoops highlights, but in the narrative ESPN presented, I am surprised there was no mention of UConn being told to build a football stadium and everything would be peaches.

That angle apparently wasn't interesting. Neither was the 9th best team going on to win 3 National Titles.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Exactly what I expected, but I'm still disgusted.

The fact that the Big East teams are cited for greed and that's why the league collapsed all while ignoring that's all college athletics has become is BS.

No mention of the most successful team in BE history either.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Just watched it..."Memphis State" kept popping up...73 (Providence), 85 (Nova)

Reaction Score
Besides no mention of UConn I thought the whole 30 for 30 was horribly made. It's a fascinating subject and they did absolutely nothing with it. It just looked like a poor documentary on the Georgetown Syracuse rivalry. 30 for 30's have been amazing, that's easily the worst one I've seen so far.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You guys got more air time than we did. Its anarchy. Its like introducing the metric system to foot long sandwiches.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
#ESPNExecsWentToCuse

I figured it would be more about the conference forming and the conference crumbling. I never expected that the best team in the conference's history wouldn't even be mentioned.

Would you make an ACC doc without talking about UNC? An SEC football doc and not mention Alabama? How about a Big Twelve doc and not even say a word about Texas? But somehow it's ok to make a Big East doc and not even give UConn so much as- literally- ten seconds of time.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
Mandatory 2 hours of study on Lou Carnasecca and St. Johns. Please write up a 1,000 word post on what you've learned.
I'm more of a blunt communicator…
Well, Lou CarnEsecca graduated from St. Johns in 1950 and coached there from '65-'70 bringing them to 3 NCAA tournaments. He then decided to go pro and coach the ABA Nets, where he won the ABA Championship in '75. Lou then returned to his alma matter and coached there until '92, bringing them to multiple NCAA tournaments and one Final Four in '82. Lou is now 89 years old.
Now do I get a sticker dad?

Reaction Score
I wish UConn had been in this crazy conference, the Big East. Looks like it was fun.
Before JC we were barely in the BE. Post JC we were the most successful team in the conference.

Reaction Score
you guys don't get the point apparently. it was focused on the pre expansion years... all your glory came after that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dave Gavitt and the Catholic schools founded a conference. Georgetown with John Thompson and Patrick Ewing made it nationally significant. They hated playing Syracuse and Jim Boeheim. 3 Catholic schools made the final 4 in 1985. Greedy college presidents, especially that bitch from Syracuse, grabbed the big football money and broke up the conference. Georgetown, John Thompson, and the Georgetown head priest had a sad. The End. - 30 for 30 produced, written and directed by a Georgetown graduate. Who misses Syracuse and national relevance, desperately.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

You guys had more mentions than we did. And you weren't even in the league. I'm seriously appalled.

Reaction Score
So, were we in the Big East? Because nobody else in the league won more than ONE national championship! They even mentioned Seton Hall's nice run (though they lost). And nobody won more league championships, but they did mention our 6 OT loss!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm more of a blunt communicator…
Well, Lou CarnEsecca graduated from St. Johns in 1950 and coached there from '65-'70 bringing them to 3 NCAA tournaments. He then decided to go pro and coach the ABA Nets, where he won the ABA Championship in '75. Lou then returned to his alma matter and coached there until '92, bringing them to multiple NCAA tournaments and one Final Four in '82. Lou is now 89 years old.
Now do I get a sticker dad?
I'm not old enough to be your dad.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
you guys don't get the point apparently. it was focused on the pre expansion years... all your glory came after that.
Oh I get it. The Catholic schools peaked in relevance in 1985 with 3 in the final four. And I'm pretty certain the Georgetown president was one of the ringleaders in turning down the last ESPN contract.

Reaction Score
So, were we in the Big East? Because nobody else in the league won more than ONE national championship! They even mentioned Seton Hall's nice run (though they lost). And nobody won more league championships, but they did mention our 6 OT loss!

No that was an ESPN's Jay Bilias having a dream during the commercial

MattMang23

Reaction Score

We understand that it was more about the conference's formative years. But to act like the most successful school in the history of league flat out doesn't exist is utter BS. How about just one thirty second bone about how we once played in the Allen vs Allen game in '96 in the most hyped Big East game of the 90s? Something! Anything!

Reaction Score
gtown president was right... all of those schools nearly tripled their television revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom