REMINDER: Born to Lead: Jim Calhoun airs on Thursday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

REMINDER: Born to Lead: Jim Calhoun airs on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Man, I wanna be tough loved all the time." - (out of context) Coach K quote

There was a clip of Ollie screaming after beating Kentucky in the title game...I've never scene that before. Nice.

Iconic for sure. 2nd favorite moment was his nod during the timeout after the 11 point run vs. Florida in the Final Four.
imgur(dot)com/znBiOFE(dot)gif
http://imgur.com/zfzo7nM

Why is posting images to this forum such a nightmare..

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone know if there is full video of the Calhoun banquet they're showing clips from?
I was thinking the same thing. Would love to see the comments from all the players who spoke, especially whatever Caron had to say (assuming he spoke). Obviously they needed to make a lot of editing decisions to squeeze "895 pages" (as Jacobs put it) into one hour, but Ben's comments were kind of lackluster imo, and Caron's story is a pretty important one in terms of his relationship with JC.

In terms of the players who were interviewed for this production, I thought Jake's and KO's contributions were particularly excellent. No surprise re KO, but Jake really provided great perspective, which surprised me somewhat.

Reaction Score
Yeah Coach K that SOB, almost smiled (maybe even a tear?) when he talked about JC/UConn.

Okay I'm over it - Duck Fuke!;)

Jake was great and the fact he is one of those guys who came form nowhere in the HS rankings it seemed so perfect coming from him. Jake "M F'er" Voskhul - has a ring to it!

Reaction Score
I hate Duke but have a hard time hating K.
Do you believe K's line as they shook hands "I was really happy for him" ? Who does he think he is, that fellow in the bible?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
K is a miserable bastard when he's coaching, but it's really really hard to "hate" a fellow Polak AND a USMA grad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From what I heard at the time from those in position to know, K was gracious about '99 and truly believed that we beat them and deserved the win. In 2004, however, he was bitter as hell, essentially inconsolable after the game, because he thought the refs stole the game from them.

I loved both reactions.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Howie D won the documentary as far as I was concerned. The line about coach only being happy when he was unhappy and the story about no balls bouncing in the field-house were gems.

Reaction Score
I have to say for 1 hour they covered a lot of ground. The instances at practice I didnt know and it was great to know about. KK and JV fight. I am over the top emotional UConn fan and Jim Calhoun fan. Everyone in my family knows that he is on the highest pedestal. Awesome to see Coach K there and Jeff Jacobs. Much respect for both of them for having the respect to put time into this. I will forever be mad that JC couldnt leave when he was ready but regardless made the best of the situation. I remember there were times on here and in other forums that predate here where people would be upset about Calhoun, like even after he won in 99. Makes me want a 5 hour special on Calhoun. My favorite part of this was when he was at MSG. He was truly a regular guy there knowing he was just part of something big. The shoulder shrug at the end of that was awesome.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have to say for 1 hour they covered a lot of ground...Makes me want a 5 hour special on Calhoun.
That's the thing: Given the limitations, I thought they did an excellent job portraying many different aspects and perspectives of the man. And it wasn't all glowing, which I especially appreciated.

Fully agree that I could easily watch several hours and/or a multi-episode series about him. I am not a Jacobs fan at all--far from it--but I do respect that he acknowledged that Calhoun was always compelling, never left you with an empty notebook, and is a complex subject worthy of a multi-volume treatise by a renowned historical scholar in order to understand him fully. Short of that though, I thought they did about as good of a job as possible distilling the essence of the man in one hour.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's the thing: Given the limitations, I thought they did an excellent job portraying many different aspects and perspectives of the man. And it wasn't all glowing, which I especially appreciated.

Fully agree that I could easily watch several hours and/or a multi-episode series about him. I am not a Jacobs fan at all--far from it--but I do respect that he acknowledged that Calhoun was always compelling, never left you with an empty notebook, and is a complex subject worthy of a multi-volume treatise by a renowned historical scholar in order to understand him fully. Short of that though, I thought they did about as good of a job as possible distilling the essence of the man in one hour.
Can't wait for @gampelcrazies to upload special.

My impression of notables:
Bobby Knight admires JC.
Coach K respects JC.
Boeheim looks down on JC.
JJ despises JC.

Reaction Score

Bobby Knight admires JC.
Coach K respects JC.
JJ despises JC.

Boeheim was just on Francesa the other day. Both agreed Calhoun was the most underrated coach of all time and I believe Boeheim said he was one of the top 3 college basketball coaches of all time.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Boeheim was just on Francesa the other day. Both agreed Calhoun was the most underrated coach of all time and I believe Boeheim said he was one of the top 3 college basketball coaches of all time.
I know what he says publicly. I just don't believe he's sincere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Bobby Knight admires JC.
Coach K respects JC.
JJ despises JC.

There was nothing from Knight in the special, which surprised me somewhat, but understandable given the time limitations. JC did repeat the well-worn story about the advice Knight gave him about coming to UConn in the first instance, but that was it in terms of Knight.

Tons of K stuff. He said all the right things. Most notable for me were his comments about his feelings at the end of the Laettner game (felt elated, then sad for us; in hindsight he feels it was the story of two "lifers" who would play this out on the national stage for decades to come); and his "if that's tough love, I want to be tough-loved" comment, which was funny and poignant.

Boeheim credited JC with the greatest program building job in basketball history, but the rest was generic fluff from him.

JJ was more gracious than I expected him to be. I don't think he despises him at all. I think he was/is obsessed with him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There was nothing from Knight in the special, which surprised me somewhat, but understandable given the time limitations. JC did repeat the well-worn story about the advice Knight gave him about coming to UConn in the first instance, but that was it in terms of Knight.

Tons of K stuff. He said all the right things. Most notable for me were his comments about his feelings at the end of the Laettner game (felt elated, then sad for us; in hindsight he feels it was the story of two "lifers" who would play this out on the national stage for decades to come); and his "if that's tough love, I want to be tough-loved" comment, which was funny and poignant.

Boeheim credited JC with the greatest program building job in basketball history, but the rest was generic fluff from him.

JJ was more gracious than I expected him to be. I don't think he despises him at all. I think he was/is obsessed with him.
The article JJ wrote about the UNC infractions tells me more about JJ's real feelings regarding JC than anything I'm getting from this special. Of course I haven't seen the special yet. I'm just processing what people are writing in this thread.

With regards to Boeheim, my statement reflects what my wife has picked up observing his interaction with JC. She's not a Cuse hater. But every time she sees Boeheim she feels strongly that the relationship between him and JC is one in which JC genuinely likes JB but the friendship is not reciprocated. Furthermore JB actually dislikes JC. I usually trust the feminine instinct regarding the nature of people far more than what dudes think. And in this particular instance, because she's indifferent to Syracuse or Boeheims coaching, I feel she's unbiased with this feeling.

We all know people who talk others up when they're in the presence of that person but love putting them down in other situations. That's JJ's and JB's modus operandi with JC. JC is aware of who JJ is but not JB.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The article JJ wrote about the UNC infractions tells me more about JJ's real feelings regarding JC than anything I'm getting from this special. Of course I haven't seen the special yet. I'm just processing what people are writing in this thread.

With regards to Boeheim, my statement reflects what my wife has picked up observing his interaction with JC. She's not a Cuse hater. But every time she sees Boeheim she feels strongly that the relationship between him and JC is one in which JC genuinely likes JB but the friendship is not reciprocated. Furthermore JB actually dislikes JC. I usually trust the feminine instinct regarding the nature of people far more than what dudes think. And in this particular instance, because she's indifferent to Syracuse or Boeheims coaching, I feel she's unbiased with this feeling.

We all know people who talk others up when they're in the presence of that person but love putting them down in other situations. That's JJ's and JB's modus operandi with JC. JC is aware of who JJ is but not JB.
Don't disagree at all about the Boeheim instinct. That's why I was somewhat surprised to hear him credit JC with the "best" anything; he's usually much more equivocal and weaselly.

I'm as willing to believe the worst about Jacobs as anyone and I cringed when they first showed him last night because I didn't want him having any part of this production. But the more they showed of him the more I felt that his feelings about JC were more complex than I had assumed. I think he simultaneously fears him, admires him, respects him, is confused by him, felt jilted by him, was/is jealous of him, and ultimately unjustly criticized and was angry at him for being human, i.e., imperfect. It's that last part that is hardest to unpack. Playing armchair psychiatrist, I'll say that I put a lot of stock in the notion that the things we dislike most about those closest to us are oftentimes the things we most dislike about ourselves. That, and controversy sells a lot more papers than praise does.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Don't disagree at all about the Boeheim instinct. That's why I was somewhat surprised to hear him credit JC with the "best" anything; he's usually much more equivocal and weaselly.

I'm as willing to believe the worst about Jacobs as anyone and I cringed when they first showed him last night because I didn't want him having any part of this production. But the more they showed of him the more I felt that his feelings about JC were more complex than I had assumed. I think he simultaneously fears him, admires him, respects him, is confused by him, felt jilted by him, was/is jealous of him, and ultimately unjustly criticized and was angry at him for being human, i.e., imperfect. It's that last part that is hardest to unpack. Playing armchair psychiatrist, I'll say that I put a lot of stock in the notion that the things we dislike most about those closest to us are oftentimes the things we most dislike about ourselves. That, and controversy sells a lot more papers than praise does.
That analysis about JJ was more than armchair. Quite incredible and right on the mark imo. Could not give you enough likes to express my admiration with the way you stated it.

Reaction Score

Your wife is way over thinking things. (Women never tend to do that, right?) I just went back and listened to his Francesa interview. He says Calhoun is of the "5 best coaches of all time" and has "clearly" done the best job in college basketball history. If you find those extremely positive compliments as insincere and patronizing thats purely in your head. They're buddies. They golf all the time together.

I wish people "looked down" on me with such reverence.

Talking Calhoun at about 30:35

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=Mike+Francesa&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Reaction Score
To the people saying they could easily watch a series rather than just a special, have you all repeatedly thought that our program could carry a dramatic series without even adding in fake stories to create more drama?

I feel like you could start a series with the Ben/Emeka years, do basically a basketball season each TV season and it would be amazing, engaging, and uplifting at different times. You've got quite a bit of drama, you've got success, you've got drug busts, other legal issues (laptop scandal anyone?), medical problems (AJ Price), the APR ban, the year of the Kemba, Ollie taking the reigns, the year of the Bazz...

I'm not in television or movie production, but if I was I would have already written the spec script to sell it.

For a while I felt like Bob Odenkirk would make a great Coach JC, but in a comedy setting rather than a serious one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom