REMINDER: Born to Lead: Jim Calhoun airs on Thursday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

REMINDER: Born to Lead: Jim Calhoun airs on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't disagree at all about the Boeheim instinct. That's why I was somewhat surprised to hear him credit JC with the "best" anything; he's usually much more equivocal and weaselly.

I'm as willing to believe the worst about Jacobs as anyone and I cringed when they first showed him last night because I didn't want him having any part of this production. But the more they showed of him the more I felt that his feelings about JC were more complex than I had assumed. I think he simultaneously fears him, admires him, respects him, is confused by him, felt jilted by him, was/is jealous of him, and ultimately unjustly criticized and was angry at him for being human, i.e., imperfect. It's that last part that is hardest to unpack. Playing armchair psychiatrist, I'll say that I put a lot of stock in the notion that the things we dislike most about those closest to us are oftentimes the things we most dislike about ourselves. That, and controversy sells a lot more papers than praise does.

After 15 years of bad relationship, JC called JJ and said" We are better than this!!!"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
THAT'S IT. Less the added artwork. :)

AuYWjs4.jpeg

Reaction Score
8893 said:
From what I heard at the time from those in position to know, K was gracious about '99 and truly believed that we beat them and deserved the win. In 2004, however, he was bitter as hell, essentially inconsolable after the game, because he thought the refs stole the game from them. I loved both reactions.

I can see his gripe on the Reddick no call at the end, but nothing else. Even then, the Reddick no call is totally debatable. We were robbed of Emeka in the first half and those ticky tack fouls bordered on criminal.

Reaction Score
Hoophound said:
I can see his gripe on the Reddick no call at the end, but nothing else. Even then, the Reddick no call is totally debatable. We were robbed of Emeka in the first half and those ticky tack fouls bordered on criminal.

There was never a definitive replay of that Rashad swipe. It's like Schrodinger's reach-in. Can be thought of as a foul and not a foul, only the box will never be opened.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For me it comes down to JC's decision to sit Emeka with two fouls in the first half. As he put it, he learned a long time ago that basketball games are 40 minutes long. We got jobbed early and sucked it up. K got jobbed and took his chances. JC saved his bullets and got the match-up he wanted. I'll never forget watching Emeka from across the court as he could barely contain himself when he had to sit. Knees bobbing up and down furiously.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Gurleyman said:
There was never a definitive replay of that Rashad swipe. It's like Schrodinger's reach-in. Can be thought of as a foul and not a foul, only the box will never be opened.

I always thought JJ got chopped down across the forearms, but that's not why dook lost. Poor quick shots down the stretch, poor game management by K, Jc sitting Mek with 2, and then rashad and Mek just making incredible plays down the stretch are why dook lost. You don't count on a single late foul call in a congested lane to win a final four game.

Reaction Score
That analysis about JJ was more than armchair. Quite incredible and right on the mark imo. Could not give you enough likes to express my admiration with the way you stated it.
Jacobs was one of the few reporters who had the nerve to challenge JC. I may not agree with everything he wrote but coaches are control freaks and reporters like Jacobs provide a needed balance.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think JB & JC are friends. To say otherwise makes Calhoun look sad.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Do you believe K's line as they shook hands "I was really happy for him" ? Who does he think he is, that fellow in the bible?

Well, maybe not that line but I think he respects Calhoun. He didn't discount our victory in 99 like so many did. And if I have the yrar right, his immediate reaction to the loss was to comfort one of his distraught players.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:

I think they were friends. Not so sure they are anymore. JB seems to have been less than gracious in recent years. Just my impression, could be wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Be careful with that one.

I suspect it will be available for replay on their site.
It isn't currently.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It was a mistake to express my opinion about the JC - JB relationship in public. That's a personal situation between those two even if I'm correct. That's a totally different situation than Jeff Jacobs which I will still offer criticism to the way he approaches JC. My apologies to my wife, Jim Boeheim and this forum

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Jacobs was one of the few reporters who had the nerve to challenge JC. I may not agree with everything he wrote but coaches are control freaks and reporters like Jacobs provide a needed balance.
I agree with you up to a point. It's important to keep people in check in many situations and Jeff took that position.

It is one thing to try to call out someone when they are wrong. It is another thing to retaliate. I feel Jeff has made it his mission to destroy JC's reputation.

Case in point. The article he wrote regarding UNC. There was absolutely no reason to headline the article with "UConn got what it deserved regarding the APR". Why? Because in the body of his column he admits that the retroactive punishment was wrong. If it was wrong then UConn should not have received that punishment and Jeff should have omitted that part of the headline.

Many people do not read things thoroughly especially if the subject isn't passionate for them. And even among those who do, there probably is a group that didn't put that association together because it totaled two sentences in an entire article. Still others, who may have seen the inconsistency, may not have weighed it as important. I do.

Yes UConn took the hit in the title. But rightly or wrongly JC is the figurehead of this issue. I'm connecting the dots and the picture I get from all this is JJ knows what he is doing and most people are unaware of his process. Therefore, I'm doing exactly what you admire about Jeff. I'm standing up against his actions to provide a needed balance.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The article JJ wrote about the UNC infractions tells me more about JJ's real feelings regarding JC than anything I'm getting from this special. Of course I haven't seen the special yet. I'm just processing what people are writing in this thread.

With regards to Boeheim, my statement reflects what my wife has picked up observing his interaction with JC. She's not a Cuse hater. But every time she sees Boeheim she feels strongly that the relationship between him and JC is one in which JC genuinely likes JB but the friendship is not reciprocated. Furthermore JB actually dislikes JC. I usually trust the feminine instinct regarding the nature of people far more than what dudes think. And in this particular instance, because she's indifferent to Syracuse or Boeheims coaching, I feel she's unbiased with this feeling.

We all know people who talk others up when they're in the presence of that person but love putting them down in other situations. That's JJ's and JB's modus operandi with JC. JC is aware of who JJ is but not JB.

I think Boeheim's merely a miserable bastard. He's most comfortable wallowing in misery - that's why his public interactions with JC (and most everyone else) seem insincere/contrived.

As for Jacobs, his role requires controversy to be successful. And I think he intentionally poked at JC to provoke controversial reactions. That's why its difficult for me to respect JJ's work.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think Boeheim's merely a miserable bastard. He's most comfortable wallowing in misery - that's why his public interactions with JC (and most everyone else) seem insincere/contrived.

As for Jacobs, his role requires controversy to be successful. And I think he intentionally poked at JC to provoke controversial reactions. That's why its difficult for me to respect JJ's work.
I made statements about both JB and JJ following the one you are quoting. I've made a mistake expressing my opinion regarding JB's relationship with JC. Your point has validity.

Regarding JJ, I think my follow up post expresses my position. I don't think his process is just pandering. There is a quality about it that makes me think there is more going on than trying to stir up viewership.

Reaction Score
I think they were friends. Not so sure they are anymore. JB seems to have been less than gracious in recent years. Just my impression, could be wrong.

Ya think maybe 3-1 for Calhoun salted JB's "friendship" a bit.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
It plays again Sunday at 7pm

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was a mistake to express my opinion about the JC - JB relationship in public. That's a personal situation between those two even if I'm correct. That's a totally different situation than Jeff Jacobs which I will still offer criticism to the way he approaches JC. My apologies to my wife, Jim Boeheim and this forum
Disagree, Fleud. My gut tells me that pretty much the same thing. It's a valid thing to post and you did label it as opinion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Nah, he's not bad.

I don't think he particularly enjoys dealing the media at this point in his career, but he's a normal, pleasant human being otherwise.

He's also one of the more popular coaches among his peers.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Disagree, Fleud. My gut tells me that pretty much the same thing. It's a valid thing to post and you did label it as opinion.
I stand pat with my impression. But in discussing it with my wife, she felt my public expression boarders on gossip. I give her the nod on this one. It's a personal relationship between two people as opposed to the public stuff we observe from Jacobs. Since I abhor gossip, I decided to express my apology. If things change, and the relationship between the two men becomes a public issue, I might decide to rejoin the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom