Regression is concerning | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Regression is concerning

Reaction Score
We beat power 5 teams. We actually destroyed Miami on a neutral floor. I do not buy that this team is as bad as we played at Cincy and USF.
Except Cincy and USF both would have beaten Miami that night.

Reaction Score
Oh stop.

Go look at the teams USF lost to. We shouldn't expect to be competitive with them?
We should. But we shouldn’t micro analyze year 1.25 of a total rebuild. Hurley inherited a mess. As tough as today was to swallow, it means nothing in the long run. The problem isn’t Hurley. The problem remains the posters on here who prematurely blow their load in November. This team was never good. We don’t have a viable high major front court to compete consistently. It’s really that simple. We expect ag and vital to be stars. They are role players on a good team. If that. There are three,(four maybe) that would get any run on a top 25 team. Half this roster wouldn’t even play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree.
Though I hope he gets out of his shooting slump. I dont think he’s made a jump shot the last few games. However , he is getting to the line and getting rebounds.

I think him starting the second half is an indication that Hurley realizes he needs him in the lineup more so I expect that he will be starting the next game.

Wasn't UConn down 7 at halftime? And got demolished in the 2nd half with Bouknight starting?

Don’t know what the answer is. But got little evidence today that starting Bouknight (and/or Gaffney) will save this season.

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn down 7 at halftime? And got demolished in the 2nd half with Bouknight starting?

Don’t know what the answer is. But got little evidence today that starting Bouknight (and/or Gaffney) will save this season.
Book’s shot looks rough right now, he’ll get his game straightened out.

Reaction Score
I think we could coach Akok and look good. Special talent. Bouk I’m not so sure I see what you do. I would argue Hurley missed a chance to elevate him and build on his momentum out of Charleston . Gaffney seems to be adjusting to game speed. The others just seem to be increasingly lost and unsure.
Coach up the most talented guy is not that much of an accomplishment especially whetn the kid has a good motor and head for the game. Make b adams a serviceable starter at this level. Now you’re talking.

Reaction Score
We’ve stunk on the road for some time now.

Coaching and preparation remains constant home vs road.

Our inability to win on the road is primarily due to the talent on the court. Our guys lack the mental fortitude needed to win on the road.

Can Hurley be better? Absolutely. But relax people. Our underclassmen ooze talent, and there’s more help on the way.

I wish the rebuild was quicker, too. But we’re going to be okay.

Reaction Score
I think Akok and Bouknight, even Gaffney are progressing. Those are Hurley’s guys and thats a good sign that his recruits are getting better.
Add Brendan as well, although he tends to be infected with AG and Vital's overconfidence. He thought he as Russel Westbrook at times today. All he needs is an exorcism though.

Reaction Score
My point is the recruiting looks significantly better but until we see results on the court, it’s just that, what appears to be better recruiting. Ollie had a huge class in 16-17 but guys didn’t develop, or at least not while at UConn.
He's had one class and those guys are freshman. He needs a legit chance with a legit roster of his players.

Reaction Score
He's had one class and those guys are freshman. He needs a legit chance with a legit roster of his players.
And I said I’m willing to reserve judgment until next year. At that point, 2/3 of the roster should be his guys and the rubber will meet the road.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
My point is the recruiting looks significantly better but until we see results on the court, it’s just that, what appears to be better recruiting. Ollie had a huge class in 16-17 but guys didn’t develop, or at least not while at UConn.
The recruiting is better, but I still see a lack of pure shooting ability. Even USF today had a bench guy, unheralded, named Williams who is 50% on 3’s for the season and hit the open shots he had today. Sure, bring in athletes, but bring in athletes that can shoot.

Reaction Score
This USF starting 5 is better than ours even without Yetna. Akok is better than their 4 and that’s it. Rideau is better than Gilbert. Collins better than Vital. Durr better than Carlton. Brown better Polley.

Only Akok would start for another major program right now out of the starters.

Reaction Score
This USF starting 5 is better than ours even without Yetna. Akok is better than their 4 and that’s it. Rideau is better than Gilbert. Collins better than Vital. Durr better than Carlton. Brown better Polley.

Only Akok would start for another major program right now out of the starters.
Yep, yet people on here always think we have better talent than most of our opponents because of recruiting rankings from 3 or 4 years ago. We don't. We are undersized and underskilled plain and simple outside of a few freshman and those guys need muscle as well.

Reaction Score
Guys, this will be a marathon not a sprint. What is with you guys who expected a complete turnaround in 1.25 years? We've got a long road back so settle in and recognize the small victories where we find them.
I'm looking for a .500 season, and with any luck an outside shot at the NIT. Anything else, is gravy.

Reaction Score
Probably better to start moving Gilbert and Vital out of the rotation in favor of Bouknight and Gaffney. Odds are this team isn’t doing much even if the veterans play better. The experience the young guards will gain will be important going into next year.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I’ll say it - Good recruits don’t go to programs that don’t win, that’s why a majority of guys are p!ssed on this forum- we’ll always get the B Adams until they start winning and making tournaments

Reaction Score
Shocked that the game results under Hurley have been as bad if not possibly worse than under KO. $3 million should buy a lot better than we’ve been getting. I’ll temper my expectations for the remainder of the year and reserve judgment on him until he has more of his guys next year but this is deeply concerning.
This comment and your handle is begging for an anti ko assault. Dig in. I have felt that there are a host of similarities in regards to coaching style.

Reaction Score
I like our assistant coaches - they seem to be great recruiters and really solid guys. But do we need 3 great recruiters or could we live with one less in favor of a very strong Xs and Os / gameplan guy? With the exception of Tom Moore, who worked under the GOAT, it doesn’t look to me like anyone else has experience working under notable coaches.

Love Hurley but he’s relatively young himself and I think we’ve seen enough that’s it’s fair to ask the question - not as a criticism of our existing coaches but more about allocation of resources. Even JC had a George Blaney.

I think Geno would be ideal for this (kidding - is too soon after a bad loss?)
Well said. Remember the Larry brown rumor for ollie. I’d take him for dan fo sho. How bout his old man?

Reaction Score
I’ll say it - Good recruits don’t go to programs that don’t win, that’s why a majority of guys are p!ssed on this forum- we’ll always get the B Adams until they start winning and making tournaments
And programs don't win until they get good recruits. If you don't think Akok, Bouk, Jackson are good recruits then your expectations are way too high.

Reaction Score
I think Akok and Bouknight, even Gaffney are progressing. Those are Hurley’s guys and thats a good sign that his recruits are getting better.
I think something to consider regarding progress is that is is not always a straight line. Regarding player improvement, there has been plenty. Gaffney, Akok, Polley(minus last game or two), Vital (a bit more efficient this year), especially Brendan Adams and wasn't Carlton last years most improved player in the AAC? Carlton has regressed quite a bit this year - but the season isn't over, he appears to be a good kid and not afraid of work, it is not too late for him to turn it around. It is concerning and discouraging to see the recent play but... There are ups and downs in a rebuild and this is a major rebuild. It might not be popular but a REALISTIC goal for this season would be a few wins in the NIT and then build upon that.

Reaction Score
You have to figure KO is laughing hysterically now. What bothers me is all the references Hurley made the past two years to losing habits and rebuilding this program but as of now that was all just taking swipes at the previous guy with no evidence beyond the appearance of better recruiting to back it up.
Ko had A bad retention year not a bad recruiting year. This junior class was assembled three hours before opening tip off of 17-18 season as he lost his #5 class for a bunch of reasons most of his own doing. But he recruited pretty well.

Reaction Score
I think something to consider regarding progress is that is is not always a straight line. Regarding player improvement, there has been plenty. Gaffney, Akok, Polley(minus last game or two), Vital (a bit more efficient this year), especially Brendan Adams and wasn't Carlton last years most improved player in the AAC? Carlton has regressed quite a bit this year - but the season isn't over, he appears to be a good kid and not afraid of work, it is not too late for him to turn it around. It is concerning and discouraging to see the recent play but... There are ups and downs in a rebuild and this is a major rebuild. It might not be popular but a REALISTIC goal for this season would be a few wins in the NIT and then build upon that.
I'll happily eat my hat if we make the NIT this year. If we finish above .500 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
What if we finish below .500 and see no nit? This is the fear I think we all have. The dance was always going to be a great accomplishment for the whole program the NIT was seen as real progress and very gettable. This week just feels way to familiar and a board filled with Mets, giants,jets,knicks,and nets fans know the evil grip of gloom and doom all to well. Let’s hope AD DB has a convo with the staff to get some energy going and find a way to play gutsy and hard the rest of the way. I don’t care about next year the year after whose players are whose culture or anything else except this program playing hard. That is what JC brought to us.

Reaction Score
We need a big who we can dump the ball into and he can score reliable or pass out of a double. Would like to see akok post up and shoot over his defender
Whaley threw the best alley oop this year. Just saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom