Regression is concerning | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Regression is concerning

Reaction Score
Guys, this will be a marathon not a sprint. What is with you guys who expected a complete turnaround in 1.25 years? We've got a long road back so settle in and recognize the small victories where we find them.
I'm looking for a .500 season, and with any luck an outside shot at the NIT. Anything else, is gravy.
Is beating a bad 7-7 USF team a complete turnaround? Even 1 1/3 seasons into Hurley’s second season, If we can’t have expectations to beat teams like this then our program is in a scary state.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
And programs don't win until they get good recruits. If you don't think Akok, Bouk, Jackson are good recruits then your expectations are way too high.
And programs don't win until they get good recruits. If you don't think Akok, Bouk, Jackson are good recruits then your expectations are way too high.

My expectations are to get the Ray Allen’s, Rudy Gays and Emeka Okafurs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Neither of UConn's first two AAC games were competitive in the second half.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Is beating a bad 7-7 USF team a complete turnaround? Even 1 1/3 seasons into Hurley’s second season, If we can’t have expectations to beat teams like this then our program is in a scary state.
Beating USF is certainly a realistic expectation; at the very least, competing against them. Those are reasonable goals at this stage. Getting blown out by them is not, which is why this is so frustrating. It was evident to me by watching the game today that the team was lacking the hunger to compete and win, and just didn't seem to be locked in, which was surprising coming off a lackluster effort against Cincinnati. It is a coach's job to prepare a team, and to some extent to motivate them, but they need to go out onto the floor, play with intensity, and execute. They have to want it. I just didn't see that today and I didn't see it against Cincinnati either. Beating Indiana and Xavier were not expected and would have been bonuses, but they fell slightly short in those cases. I think it's a mistake to make a broad assessment when in the midst of a slump. We need to look at the bigger picture here, at what got us excited earlier in the season and understand this is that same (flawed) team, capable of some impressive wins as well as some disappointing losses.

Reaction Score
My expectations are to get the Ray Allen’s, Rudy Gays and Emeka Okafurs
You have to walk before you can run. We got those guys when we were at our peak as a program. Emeka wasn't rated that high, but in todays world with so much more exposure, he would be more sought after than he was then. Regardless, Emeka is the exception not the rule.

Reaction Score
Whaley threw the best alley oop this year. Just saying.
If you're talking about the below-the-rim pass to Akok, you are wrong, but I get your point. Our pg play has been horrendous.

Reaction Score
Simply put I refuse to judge the season a .25 of the way through. If we're getting blown out all year long by teams like USF, then yeah, I'll be more concerned. But what we have right now is a relatively small sample of a young team that's transitioning to one hand-picked by Hurley.
I love Gaff, Bouk, and Akok. We're getting Dre Jackson on a team next year that'll be a year older, and ready for the NBE wars. Call me an optimist but I see a bright future ahead!

Reaction Score
Simply put I refuse to judge the season a .25 of the way through. If we're getting blown out all year long by teams like USF, then yeah, I'll be more concerned. But what we have right now is a relatively small sample of a young team that's transitioning to one hand-picked by Hurley.
The team is 9-5 so they've played just about half the season. What is a big enough sample size to know what the team is?

Reaction Score
I love Gaff, Bouk, and Akok. We're getting Dre Jackson on a team next year that'll be a year older, and ready for the NBE wars. Call me an optimist but I see a bright future ahead!
I’m not sure why some of you are saying 1.25 seasons into Hurley’s tenure. They’ve played 14 of 31 games this season so after one more game it will be 1.5 seasons. I applaud the optimism and agree Hurley needs more time with mostly his guys before receiving an accurate report card. Until that time, I expect to see the team play a lot more competitively than they have recently.

Reaction Score
That’s what scares me. I’m not seeing the player or team development. I’m seeing regression. You keep losing in the Big East and we could be in a perpetual hole.
The lack of development is a concern. Somehow Dan is not reaching the veterans and the young kids can’t do it alone. This is a real crisis and how Dan responds will define his early years at Uconn. I’m behind him all the way but couldn’t tell him how to pull it off.

Reaction Score
Our best athletes are bean poles. We need some serious girth. Length and width that can jump. We’re getting manhandled
Adding 25Lbs to Carlton is working out well.
He was 21-10 in his last AAC game last year . Think we will see that this year.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
losing habits
Sadly, this continues to exist dating back to 2014 or maybe even Lamb's soph. yr 2012-13. I welcome any and all of Coach Calhoun's input and all bets should be off in terms of recruiting so that we place a stranglehold on the tri-state and all of New England.

Reaction Score
Moving to the Big East will be a positive just for change of scenery alone. I don’t know what else to say.
The only undeniable fact about the move to the Big East, travel.

In the the AAC, Temple is the closest team and it's 230 miles away. In the Big East, there are three colleges closer to UConn than Villanova.

In the AAC, the 2nd closest team is Cincinnati and it's about 800 miles away. In the Big East, Xavier is the 6th closest team, and it's also located in Cincinnati.

Knowing that Temple is your only bus travel team must suck for college kids. In the Big East, they can bus to Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Nova easily.

That's huge for the mental aspect of the game.

Reaction Score
Just saw an interesting Courant article for wholesale changes if positive results don't happen asap. I think the article is spot on and mirrors a lot of what is said in this forum.

Reaction Score
Just saw an interesting Courant article for wholesale changes if positive results don't happen asap. I think the article is spot on and mirrors a lot of what is said in this forum.

Yep. Agree with both you and the article. Tough spot to be in for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom