Regarding OT and non-basketball threads | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Regarding OT and non-basketball threads

Reaction Score
I thought that the whole point of a message board was that we could remain unburdened with each others identities and personal problems.

However, if you must know, I look exactly like my avatar (a little grayer),

Robert Kennedy walked by me once, He had the worst sunburn on his face I have ever seen- it was like alligator leather,

All you haver to know about Ralph Nader is that he worked at the soda fountain at his father's store in western Connecticut, but he was not allowed eat ice cream,

Any further questions will be passed on to my lawyer.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Challenge on the 76er. Once voted best toenails on the block. And no Brown’s fan can ever be best looking.
Can be if he was talking about the St. Louis Browns.:rolleyes:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I was the first to arrive outside the Hartford Times building, and stood in the first row to see JFK give his campaign speech......I visited with Ted Williams in the Red Sox clubhouse....I saw Johnny Cash perform live, 3 times in CT.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I sat in a hotel parking lot in Ashland, Kentucky one early summer evening and listened to Cool Papa Bell (re)tell the story on how he convinced Satchel Paige he was faster than light. The best part of that story was that Paige was there, as were Monte Irvin and Willie Mays.

Later, Irvin and I conducted a survey of the numerous Negro League veterans that came to that hotel on whom they thought were the best they played with/against.
It was published in various media outlets, but I'll find the results and post them here if folks are interested...

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I have been blessed and feel very fortunate to have had various dealings with a number of world famous people a number of them athletes. The 2 most notable
1. Mohamed Ali, was with him 4 times, first time on State St. Chicago in front of Montgomery Wards store, I said hello to him and he stopped and we had a 10 minute conversation, I wanted and asked for his autograph, went into a panic looking for something for him to sign. I pulled out my wallet grabbing the first thing I could find, he signed I put the paper back in my wallet. We finished our talk, I went back to my office and told everyone who I had talked to, showing them the autograph and was floored to find that I had him sign my Draft Board classification card. Most ironic.
2. I coached 3 sports one being track and field. I was fortunate to work with one of the most famous track athletes and humans I have ever known. Jesse Owens. Arco oil collaborated with Jesse to hold the Arco Jessie Owens track programs, at the time was considered as a Jr. Olympic set of track meets. Mr. Owens was one of the most impressive men I have known.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry to say, I have never met anyone "really" famous. A few odd basketball folks (was at the same table as the late John Cheney for Vivian's WBB HOF induction), exchanged friendly words with a number of women's coaches.

Cousin Brucie shook my hand at a movie premier in Manhattan and I got to meet the actresses that were one of the traveling squads in Disney costumes (Mickey, Minnie etc.) at another theatre event.

Sorry, not very exciting.

Reaction Score
@MooseJaw my father in law ran against Jesse Owens in high school.
I was at the helm of the T/V Patriot State bringing her back to Buzzards Bay, MA after OPSAIL '90.
Crewed as ship's chef, quarantine officer, and gunner on board S/V Sylvina w. Beal (b.1911) from Mystic to Cumana, VZ and back. I had the most fun riding in the back of truck with banana pickers in St. Lucia, and the irony isn't lost, because The Patriot State was a former banana cargo ship.

Reaction Score
OT - Ok, my first real crush was in 4th grade on a girl named Rhonda Rapp who transferred in mid school year. What a hottie was my thought back then. If anyone knows who and where she is today....PM me :)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Claim to fame: I killed 73 deer flies in one day. I have witnesses.

Famous person met: Dan Fogelberg chased me off his property as he sat in and drove his pick-up truck. OK, I never really “met” him.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
@MooseJaw my father in law ran against Jesse Owens in high school.
I was at the helm of the T/V Patriot State bringing her back to Buzzards Bay, MA after OPSAIL '90.
Crewed as ship's chef, quarantine officer, and gunner on board S/V Sylvina w. Beal (b.1911) from Mystic to Cumana, VZ and back. I had the most fun riding in the back of truck with banana pickers in St. Lucia, and the irony isn't lost, because The Patriot State was a former banana cargo ship.
Small world, I also had a great time riding with Banana pickers sharing a ride with them on the island of St. Vincent's in the Grenadines. An island about 90 miles west of Barbados. All their bananas were shipped to Europe.
It doesn't matter how well your father in law did against Jesse Owens even losing to him in retrospect would be an honor and amazing memory. A memory now shared by you. Thanks for sharing.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
While I was in the Navy, aboard the boat I was stationed on, I was part of the crew making a training video. The star of it was Captain Kirk (William Shatner).
I went to HS with Jeff Reardon. He, for a time, was MLB's all time Saves leader.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've only had one full time job in my entire life (law enforcement) . I'm retiring on January 4,2022, which will be the 35th anniversary of my hire. I've resided in central NY all my life and my favorite teams are: NY Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cornell University hockey and UConn women's basketball. Oh and I'll be a grandpa on June 28,2021
Responding to your question to Nan below, I've been to Lynah twice. Once I sat in the student section on the glass and got to go through the entire ritual, except the fish toss (not the Harvard game). (I had two kids go to Cornell, one was a huge hocky fan (my daughter, a hotelie).

Congrats on the upcomings - grandkid and retirement!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom