Red Sox prospects | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Red Sox prospects

Reaction Score
Defense is looking strong too.

Unfortunately, pitching looks like a royal turd. And you can't get anywhere without it. They only have a couple of good guys in the farm right now. When I look at a team like the Mets, who just churns out aces, I'm flabbergasted.
On Tuesday, May 31 the Sox beat the Orioles in Baltimore to move to 12 games over .500 and into a 3 game lead in the AL East. Since then they are two games under .500 and in third place. The Orioles and Toronto have gotten much better and the Sox are fading fast. There is no question that their pitching is the problem. For a while it was the starters but now the bullpen really looks bad. Unfortunately the good guys on the farm are not close to being ready. Despite all the great position players, and they do have plenty of those, next year won't be any better unless they find some solid arms.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On Tuesday, May 31 the Sox beat the Orioles in Baltimore to move to 12 games over .500 and into a 3 game lead in the AL East. Since then they are two games under .500 and in third place. The Orioles and Toronto have gotten much better and the Sox are fading fast. There is no question that their pitching is the problem. For a while it was the starters but now the bullpen really looks bad. Unfortunately the good guys on the farm are not close to being ready. Despite all the great position players, and they do have plenty of those, next year won't be any better unless they find some solid arms.

How do you find solid arms when you bring in guys with good track records and they let you down? It happens over and over both starters and relievers. Then you cast off Rich Hill and he becomes a borderline ace. What the hell? Something is wrong with the way they think about pitching, and I think that something is the former pitching coach and current manager.

On the other hand, nobody else is developing position players as successfully. It's crazy how well these guys are playing. They could play rookies or 2nd year guys at every position on the field except 1B or 3B, and all of them would be above average (that would be with Moncada taking over at 2B, and one of the catchers coming back).

Reaction Score
Not sure what the "real deal" means exactly?

If he is a corner OF he'll be expected to hit for power. Next year they will have Benintendi, Castillo, Swihart, others competing for LF and backup.

Benintendi has had some singles and blew a game on a simple LF play. As soon as the full scouting reports come and they know how to pitch him, which is last few games, he'll be under .200 in no time and get sent down again. Good experience for him to see MLB pitching.

Benintendi is the real deal, I think. He is almost a five tool player. The only area where he may come up short is hitting for power. While in the minors he had a great BB/SO ratio. I like that stat. Other Sox players that have done well there are Bradley, Betts, Bogaerts and Swihart. Yoan Moncado, who many believe could be better than them all, has not done well in this ratio. I hope I'm wrong but I am not as high on him as many others are, but I get a lot of things wrong.

I also like this stat for pitchers. More K's than innings pitched and a five to one ratio over walks is impressive for me. The Sox have a couple of guys doing well here but none of them are close.

Reaction Score

If he is a corner OF he'll be expected to hit for power. Next year they will have Benintendi, Castillo, Swihart, others competing for LF and backup.

Benintendi has had some singles and blew a game on a simple LF play. As soon as the full scouting reports come and they know how to pitch him, which is last few games, he'll be under .200 in no time and get sent down again. Good experience for him to see MLB pitching.
Hello idiot
Yes let's use his "awful" first 20 plate appearances to decide he has no power and will
Soon be hitting .200
Meanwhile lets ignore his power in his senior year in college and the minors
Because those don't matter of course
Only the first 20 plate appearances
Where this awful
Singles hitter is only hitting close to .400

Reaction Score

Whaaaa? The kid has been up for a few minutes. In 29 AB he has 11 hits, uses the entire field, has an OBP of 419, with 5 runs and 5 RBI, and has shown the kind of swing that experts are drooling about. You can also throw in a stolen base. You're complaining because he only has two doubles?

On defense he has shown great range a decent arm. He is learning left field, in his career he has played mostly center field, not where teams put a poor fielder.

That .200 better get here fast because he's up to .379.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not a prospect any longer, but damn, Mookie Betts:

i

i

Reaction Score
The "real deal" means that I don't think he is just a "flash in the pan" or do I need to explain that term too. I don't expect him to continue to hit .394 but he looks like he could be a .300 hitter with 20-25 home runs. I think he has a real good chance to be the lead-off hitter. He has good speed and a very good knowledge of the strike zone. For what it's worth, one of his doubles was actually a home run in the opinion of everyone except the judges in New York. Hey, he is even out-hitting Sandy Leon. :D

Reaction Score
Mookie is really good huh?

He did have 8 one year in the minors...Hmmmmm, didn't think that power was stored there?:eek:

Reaction Score
What is there left to say about Mookie. He could be the next MVP.

I remember saying on this board that he should not be swinging for the fences. He's too small to hit home runs. Shows you what I know.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What is there left to say about Mookie. He could be the next MVP.

I remember saying on this board that he should not be swinging for the fences. He's too small to hit home runs. Shows you what I know.:rolleyes:

He is too small to hit them that far don't ya think and that many after less numbers in the minors? I could see 20 maybe, not 35 suddenly. Could all be real to bad for Mookie it's that time in baseball.

Reaction Score

He did have 8 one year in the minors...Hmmmmm, didn't think that power was stored there?:eek:

He had 15 during his 2013 breakout season in the minors. It was 8 in Greenville (low-A) and 7 in Salem (high-A). He then had 16 in 2014 split between AA, AAA and MLB. So, it wasn't a complete shock when he hit 18 last year in the big leagues. Based on that 25-30 HR potential was not an unreasonable expectation. Instead, it's looking like 35-40.

Reaction Score
He had 15 during his 2013 breakout season in the minors. It was 8 in Greenville (low-A) and 7 in Salem (high-A). He then had 16 in 2014 split between AA, AAA and MLB. So, it wasn't a complete shock when he hit 18 last year in the big leagues. Based on that 25-30 HR potential was not an unreasonable expectation. Instead, it's looking like 35-40.

Ok. not for me but who cares right? Same with the SS in Colorado and a few others. Not their fault just doesn't look to me as if they will ever get handle nor do I think they care all that much. Feel bad for Mookie if it's not true but that's what baseball has done to so many fans. He's a good player nonetheless having a super year.

Reaction Score

Career minor league slugging percentages:
Betts: 477
Gary Sanchez: 460

More Betts/NY comps
Alonso Soriano - 12 HR in AAA. 2 years later 39 HR in MLB
Mookie Betts - 11 HR in AAA, 2 years later 28+ in MLB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Career minor league slugging percentages:
Betts: 477
Gary Sanchez: 460

More Betts/NY comps
Alonso Soriano - 12 HR in AAA. 2 years later 39 HR in MLB
Mookie Betts - 11 HR in AAA, 2 years later 28+ in MLB

Perfect because I have no doubt Soriano was a user! And not saying Sanchez isn't, I doubt them all. But his numbers are ridiculous and size does count.

Reaction Score
Home run totals usually go up on mlb vs minors. The reasons are longer season/more ABs and pitchers in the MLB are better at throwing strikes and are around the plate more often. If you are a good hitter with a disciplined approach and plan you will get your pitch to hit.

Whereas in the minors most of the time the pitcher has less control and isn't around the plate as much so the Homers are more often than not on mistake pitches

Reaction Score
Perfect because I have no doubt Soriano was a user! And not saying Sanchez isn't, I doubt them all. But his numbers are ridiculous and size does count.
So I'm assuming you think Bobby Murcer took steroids as well?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mau can't believe that a Red Sox player can be good without juicing...get rational, man! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Mau can't believe that a Red Sox player can be good without juicing...get rational, man! :rolleyes:

Funny from you guys. You're still in denial of Papi too so how good are you guys?not too!!!

By the way in case you didn't or can't red well I'm not sure, just can't believe he can do what he's doing and if he wasn't YOURS neither would you, you just won't admit it now will you? LOL

So I'm assuming you think Bobby Murcer took steroids as well?

Wow dopey response from you - as long as Yaz was then YES!Head bang

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Funny from you guys. You're still in denial of Papi too so how good are you guys?not too!!!

By the way in case you didn't or can't red well I'm not sure, just can't believe he can do what he's doing and if he wasn't YOURS neither would you, you just won't admit it now will you? LOL

Not true at all, I'd have zero suspicion of him no matter who I rooted for...you just have this irrational hatred of the Red Sox and "pink hats" (which is ironic, because how many pink NY hats would you have seen if you lived in Westchester during the late 90s?).

Reaction Score
Not true at all, I'd have zero suspicion of him no matter who I rooted for...you just have this irrational hatred of the Red Sox and "pink hats" (which is ironic, because how many pink NY hats would you have seen if you lived in Westchester during the late 90s?).

Love you stair but you're a lost soul. You probably think the 2004 team was clean when they were freakin loaded and I mean loaded with cheaters! Nice try though throwing it back at the Yanks, I already know they were LOL as was ALL of baseball. You are just like the rest of the fans in denial - ask Manny and Gabe Kapler the KINGS of the stuff. Please, you can't be that stupid you don't seem to be ever?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He thinks just as many Yanks were using as Red Sox so I don't know how you can say he hates Sox cause of just this.

Reaction Score
Wow dopey response from you - as long as Yaz was then YES!Head bang
Answer the question. Do you think a power hitter under 6 feet - like say Bobby Murcer - was using steroids when he was hitting 20/30+ bombs a year for NY?

Reaction Score
You doubt them all. You must be a blast to watch a game with. Maybe you should take a break from baseball and stick with hoops.

If it makes you feel better no one on the HR leader board is approaching 45 HR's let alone 70 of the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds era.

Reaction Score
You doubt them all. You must be a blast to watch a game with. Maybe you should take a break from baseball and stick with hoops.

If it makes you feel better no one on the HR leader board is approaching 45 HR's let alone 70 of the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds era.

Guessing I'm still more fun than you to watch a game with. I don't speak of it just watch and enjoy with friends Vike, it is what it is like it or not. Always will be until you and I hear otherwise.

Answer the question. Do you think a power hitter under 6 feet - like say Bobby Murcer - was using steroids when he was hitting 20/30+ bombs a year for NY?

Check his minor league stats and then let me know. They said he was the next coming of Mantle and labeled him that immediately so I'm guessing they know that huh? Not sure I hear about Mooks power did you? Answer the question Vike....

Geez if this kid was playing for the Yankes, shoe on the other foot, the doubt would be there for you and everyone, that's who you guys are. And it should be. And I also said I hope it's not, because he's a heck of a player. Sorry you think baseball is all clean now, again that's hilarious!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom