Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That kid went from top 50 recruit 5 years ago to Notre Dame, to Vandy, to Detroit.
Not just basketball, but academically too. I don't know anything about Detroit Mercy, but can't be anything close to Vandy or ND academically.

Detroit Mercy is a weird program. Antoine Davis is a coach's son and gets the green light to shoot all the time: has averaged between 24-26 ppg each of his three seasons, but it's all about getting him support. They were awful his freshman/sophomore years (combined 19-43) but was 12-10 last season with a roster almost entirely of transfers (Taurean Thompson and Brad Calipari are some notable names).

Detroit Mercy has one interesting piece to pair with Davis for his senior season. Niagara transfer Noah Waterman is a 6'11 210 sharpshooter who averaged 11.9 ppg and 2.5 3PM at a whopping 52.8% clip. My guess is Harvey will be Davis' #2 man playing more inside the arc while Davis and Waterman splash from deep.

I've not watched Detroit-Mercy play, but the volume of Antoine Davis and it being his senior year will make me curious to check out a game or two next season.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm a bit torn on Lundy. I assume Freeman vouched for him so that's a positive. Good size, and good looking stroke although he only hit 32% from 3. Doesn't seem like a super high level athlete which makes me concerned about his defensive abilities. If he's willing to accept a bench role and not looking to be a star, he could be a good find, but I think I'd rather wait out the market a bit at this point.
I hear you about Lundy. I lived in Philly for 13 years and so I still follow the talent out of Philly. I watched him a lot in hs. He has decent size. I suspect 6'4" but long and strong. He won't wow you with anything but does everything well. He handles a bit, will score and is a reliable scorer inside. He shoots ok. His strength is great feel for the game, great basketball IQ. I would consider him an upgrade for our depth plus he is that hard-nose Philly-Jersey-tri-state kid Hurley loves.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit torn on Lundy. I assume Freeman vouched for him so that's a positive. Good size, and good looking stroke although he only hit 32% from 3. Doesn't seem like a super high level athlete which makes me concerned about his defensive abilities. If he's willing to accept a bench role and not looking to be a star, he could be a good find, but I think I'd rather wait out the market a bit at this point.
32% is meh. His +/- was meh. His defensive +/- was less than meh but not a net negative. Go after Jones unless he is a cancer.

Reaction Score
Why? He is clearly their best player and probably the best fit for us.

Why what? The kid himself told a reporter a list of schools that have reached out and we weren't on it. What are you saying? Why the heck would I know why we haven't reached out.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I was watching Kimani on IG Live last night with some random NYC hoops guy and they were discussing the current transfer landscape. Kimani made it explicitly clear that UConn’s roster building vision is laser-focused on high-end high school talent, and they will not build their program on transfers as many other programs do in an attempt to “get old fast”. That said, Kimani mentioned that they will look to transfers to plug into very specific roles, and that RJ/Rese were exceptions that they knew would fit the culture of the program.
that's the point

Martin and Cole - BOTH - had unique story with Coach Hurley. The depth of knowledge was extraordinary.

Reaction Score
Love the nastalgia aspect of El-Amin but I don't see him being a needed piece.

Of all the names so far, these are the only ones I would bother with:

1. Tre Mitchell - Really good replacement for Whaley, if he is indeed leaving. If no baggage, he may be the best one out there right now. The kid is legit. If he is as good as I think he is, he would probably only be here for a year. Two, max.
2. Myreon Jones - One of the few options that I see as a step up from Polley. 2 years max so not a big threat to recruiting.
3. Justin Powell - Another step up replacement for Polley (if he is leaving). Probably the best shooter available. Have to view him as a long term guard or wing.
4. Alexis Yetna - I have changed my mind on him a little. I still think I would prefer Polley back than take this kid but they are similar. If Polley leaves, this kid could plug right into his spot. He is also a longer term player so you need to consider that. I just don't know about this one...
5. Greg Parham - Another great shooter. 1 year max so no risk to team chemistry. You get a good shooter coming off your bench. Get him!
6. George Papas - Not quite the shooter that Parham is but also a 1 year guy that will clearly boost the bench.

Reaction Score
Love the nastalgia aspect of El-Amin but I don't see him being a needed piece.

Of all the names so far, these are the only ones I would bother with:

1. Tre Mitchell - Really good replacement for Whaley, if he is indeed leaving. If no baggage, he may be the best one out there right now. The kid is legit. If he is as good as I think he is, he would probably only be here for a year. Two, max.
2. Myreon Jones - One of the few options that I see as a step up from Polley. 2 years max so not a big threat to recruiting.
3. Justin Powell - Another step up replacement for Polley (if he is leaving). Probably the best shooter available. Have to view him as a long term guard or wing.
4. Alexis Yetna - I have changed my mind on him a little. I still think I would prefer Polley back than take this kid but they are similar. If Polley leaves, this kid could plug right into his spot. He is also a longer term player so you need to consider that. I just don't know about this one...
5. Greg Parham - Another great shooter. 1 year max so no risk to team chemistry. You get a good shooter coming off your bench. Get him!
6. George Papas - Not quite the shooter that Parham is but also a 1 year guy that will clearly boost the bench.
I assume you mean Whaley and not Polley when you talk about Yetna? He's clearly a big and not a wing.

Reaction Score
Big guard alert: UT Arlington's David Azore hit the transfer market and is immediately eligible.

First hit my radar over the summer and caught his game against Oklahoma State (14 points scored).

At 6'4 205, Azore was kind of UT-A's jack-of-all trades. In an injury-shortened 20-21 season, Azore averaged 12.8p, 4.8r, 2.1a, 1.8s on 43.2 2p% and 43.8 3p% (2.7 attempts a game).

Was on the All-Sun Belt 2nd team in the 19-20 season. Played the 3 guard this season and played the 4 guard and backup point duties in 19-20.

Reaction Score

Played with Bouknight in high school, but with Bouk leaving not sure how much weight that holds. But maybe Richie was on that team too? Not sure

Reaction Score
Richie played with him in HS.

Not sure how I feel about him. Looked great his freshman year and had a pretty bad sophomore year with higher volume and minutes.
This is along the lines of where I hope one of our scholarship goes, though. A 6'7ish wing that can play the 3 or 4, if we're playing small, that can shoot. I'd want someone that is more reliable from behind the arc than Massoud.

Reaction Score
Richie played with him in HS.

Not sure how I feel about him. Looked great his freshman year and had a pretty bad sophomore year with higher volume and minutes.
I agree. I'd rather have Polley for another year. I don't see the point of getting a Polley replacement that isn't anywhere as good as an outside shooter as Polley.

Reaction Score
Big shooter alert:

Florida Atlantic's Jaylin Ingram just hit the portal.

The 6'7 215 grad transfer from Madison, GA averaged 12.4p, 6.0r, 45.2 3p% with 1.9 3PM a game. His career shooting splits are 47.4 2p%, 36.1 3p%, 71.7 ft%.

Ingram played the 4 for FAU last season. IMO, an excellent Polley replacement if he's willing to play a bench role but I wouldn't blame him looking for a starting gig.

Reaction Score
Big shooter alert:

Florida Atlantic's Jaylin Ingram just hit the portal.

The 6'7 215 grad transfer from Madison, GA averaged 12.4p, 6.0r, 45.2 3p% with 1.9 3PM a game. His career shooting splits are 47.4 2p%, 36.1 3p%, 71.7 ft%.

Ingram played the 4 for FAU last season. IMO, an excellent Polley replacement if he's willing to play a bench role but I wouldn't blame him looking for a starting gig.
He can definitely shoot and is older than dirt. He was already a RS Senior. The main concern is his +/- and especially on the defensive end. I would prefer the Parham kid as a one year impact shooter.

Reaction Score
Another big guard alert:

Northeastern's Shaquille Walters is on the transfer market as a grad transfer.

The 6'6 190 Walters averaged 10.5p, 6.2r, 2.7a, 1.2s, 48.4 2p%, 38.2 3p% on 34.5 mpg. Walters played the 2 and 3 for Northeastern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom