Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Except I'm not sure what we are supposed to do. We are/were very flawed offensively and when forced to play half court offense, our weaknesses were consistently exposed; especially against good comp. If you are a team that can't shoot (which we were), then you need guys who can penetrate and get hoops (which we didn't have.) So we just would try to grind out most games.

Yep. It was a flawed roster and very limited offensively. Too many players who couldn't shoot, penetrate, or finish inside.

Reaction Score
Except I'm not sure what we are supposed to do. We are/were very flawed offensively and when forced to play half court offense, our weaknesses were consistently exposed; especially against good comp. If you are a team that can't shoot (which we were), then you need guys who can penetrate and get hoops (which we didn't have.) So we just would try to grind out most games.
Run, our whole team is built to run. Jackson's abilities are completely wasted playing the slow halfcourt style we play, Tyrese is largely wasted. It will be even more pronounced next season Jackson, Cole, Gaffney, Diggins all have the handles and vision for transition basketball. Hawkins is another super athletic wing, Samson a big who runs. We don't have the knock down shooting to play most of the game in the halfcourt.

Look at the teams winning in the tournament Oregon, Arkansas, Oral Roberts, Alabama. They all run, they aren't playing 40 minutes of hell but they are always pushing off of make or miss, they mix in traps to speed things up. None of these teams have more talent and athletes than UConn. We don't have the knock down shooters and offensive execution to be great in the halfcourt, we also have a couple of players the defense doesn't even have to account for as an outside threat so teams can sag off and then double our couple of scoring threats. Hurley let less athletic and less deep teams than us dictate how we play.

Reaction Score
Run, our whole team is built to run. Jackson's abilities are completely wasted playing the slow halfcourt style we play, Tyrese is largely wasted. It will be even more pronounced next season Jackson, Cole, Gaffney, Diggins all have the handles and vision for transition basketball. Hawkins is another super athletic wing, Samson a big who runs. We don't have the knock down shooting to play most of the game in the halfcourt.

Look at the teams winning in the tournament Oregon, Arkansas, Oral Roberts, Alabama. They all run, they aren't playing 40 minutes of hell but they are always pushing off of make or miss, they mix in traps to speed things up. None of these teams have more talent and athletes than UConn. We don't have the knock down shooters and offensive execution to be great in the halfcourt, we also have a couple of players the defense doesn't even have to account for as an outside threat so teams can sag off and then double our couple of scoring threats. Hurley let less athletic and less deep teams than us dictate how we play.

Not disagreeing but I don't think our plan is to play half court offense. You need guys who can board and outlet. I feel like our bigs (for years now) grab a board and look around awkwardly for a guard. Guys who can move the ball either with the dribble or pass and then have guys who can actually make a play. Our top two defensive rebounders (Martin and Bouk) were also our best finishers. So something has to shift a bit where those guys can be out on the wings more. But I think the biggest issue (and this has been an issue for a few years) is that we just lack ballhandlers every year. It's been years since we had 3 guys who could handle well on the court at any time. Even this year, our "point guards" (neither of which were point guards) are not guys who are great ballhandlers or passers. The roster has to be improved so we can play the way I think we all want us to play.

And let's be honest, we haven't been an effective "running" team since like 09. I just looked. In that time, our highest average scoring team was Hurley's first year and we were under 500 and averaged 73 a game. We've been a half-court team for over 10 years with coaches (JC included) who were not great half-court O guys.

Reaction Score

Again, you are confusing athleticism with height. We were certainly longer up front but I certainly wouldnt suggest our backcourt was more athletic than theirs. They went 6'5, 6'5, 6'6 and bullied our guys around. This narrative that UConn was far more athletic is comical. In fact, that was a big part of the problem. Our guards were undersized and less athletic. Sure, we should have played faster. In order to do so, you need the guards to play fast. Your boy Cole is not that type.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing but I don't think our plan is to play half court offense. You need guys who can board and outlet. I feel like our bigs (for years now) grab a board and look around awkwardly for a guard. Guys who can move the ball either with the dribble or pass and then have guys who can actually make a play. Our top two defensive rebounders (Martin and Bouk) were also our best finishers. So something has to shift a bit where those guys can be out on the wings more. But I think the biggest issue (and this has been an issue for a few years) is that we just lack ballhandlers every year. It's been years since we had 3 guys who could handle well on the court at any time. Even this year, our "point guards" (neither of which were point guards) are not guys who are great ballhandlers or passers. The roster has to be improved so we can play the way I think we all want us to play.

And let's be honest, we haven't been an effective "running" team since like 09. I just looked. In that time, our highest average scoring team was Hurley's first year and we were under 500 and averaged 73 a game. We've been a half-court team for over 10 years with coaches (JC included) who were not great half-court O guys.
Spot on. In order to play fast, you need to personnel to do so. A back court of Cole or Gaffney isn't that.

Reaction Score
Again, you are confusing athleticism with height. We were certainly longer up front but I certainly wouldnt suggest our backcourt was more athletic than theirs. They went 6'5, 6'5, 6'6 and bullied our guys around. This narrative that UConn was far more athletic is comical. In fact, that was a big part of the problem. Our guards were undersized and less athletic. Sure, we should have played faster. In order to do so, you need the guards to play fast. Your boy Cole is not that type.
I'm not confusing anything. Jackson, Bouknight, and Martin are probably the most athletic wing trio in the country. We aren't particularly tall/long. Defenders just sag off Jackson and Martin in the hakfcourt. You don't know what you're watching.

Reaction Score
I'm not confusing anything. Jackson, Bouknight, and Martin are probably the most athletic wing trio in the country. We aren't particularly tall/long. Defenders just sag off Jackson and Martin in the hakfcourt. You don't know what you're watching.
Not only are you dellusional but you are flat out wrong. I know exactly what I am watching. Just an fyi, Jackson played a total of 8 minutes. He also looked like he had no clue on what he was doing. Seriously, what were you watching? You want to run the ball. You need an athletic back court to facilitate that. Advantage Maryland.

Reaction Score
Not only are you dellusional but you are flat out wrong. I know exactly what I am watching. Just an fyi, Jackson played a total of 8 minutes. Seriously, what were you watching?
Everything you're saying points to the problem with Hurley never pushing the pace of play and having less athletic teams dictate how we play, Jackson should never be playing only 8 minutes. I never noticed you as a poster before recently, now I see why. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Everything you're saying points to the problem with Hurley never pushing the pace of play and having less athletic teams dictate how we play, Jackson should never be playing only 8 minutes. I never noticed you as a poster before recently, now I see why. Yikes.
Lol. To use your words from last week, you have been exposed. Do me a favor and continue to not notice me(which is another lie). Its not even that you are often wrong in what you are spewing on here, its that you are insufferable to match.

Reaction Score
Lol. To use your words from last week, you have been exposed. Do me a favor and continue to not notice me(which is another lie). Its not even that you are often wrong in what you are spewing on here, its that you are insufferable to match.
Hurley says he's the most athletic player he's ever seen live and he'll be an NBA point guard yet Hurley has made it where he's almost unplayable and this moron thinks it's a good thing he only played 8 minutes.

Reaction Score
Hurley says he's the most athletic player he's ever seen live and he'll be an NBA point guard yet Hurley has made it where he's almost unplayable and this moron thinks it's a good thing he only played 8 minutes.
I forgot. When you are exposed, you pathetically try to twist words. I never said how many minutes Jackson should play. All I said, is he played 8 minutes. In those 8 minutes, he shot a ridiculous 3, had an unchareteristically bad pass to Bouknight, and amassed 4 fouls. Just so you know, I cringe every time you post.

Reaction Score
Instead of Cole, sure. A backcourt of Fatts and Cole is a hard pass.
Why not run waves of both at teams? Fatts is better as the off guard anyway. They can absolutely play together. Fatts gives me so much Boatright vibes. Cole is so much more Shabazz(in play style). They can play together in spurts

Reaction Score
Not as weird as thinking that they were more athletic than Maryland's back court.

No, guy, it's far weirder than that. But tell me again that the only reason we lost was some sort of statistical anomaly and not the same thing that has plagued them in every loss this season.

You're the guy for whom the key to the team's success is the incoming recruit, until he gets on campus and you think he's a disaster and it's the next guy who's critical.

Reaction Score
Why not run waves of both at teams? Fatts is better as the off guard anyway. They can absolutely play together. Fatts gives me so much Boatright vibes. Cole is so much more Shabazz(in play style). They can play together in spurts
So after watching the game on Sat, you want to go smaller in the back court? I haven't seen enough of Fatts to call him Boat. I don't see any Bazz in Cole.

Reaction Score
No, guy, it's far weirder than that. But tell me again that the only reason we lost was some sort of statistical anomaly and not the same thing that has plagued them in every loss this season.

You're the guy for whom the key to the team's success is the incoming recruit, until he gets on campus and you think he's a disaster and it's the next guy who's critical.
Yeah, ok. Guy.

Reaction Score
So after watching the game on Sat, you want to go smaller in the back court? I haven't seen enough of Fatts to call him Boat. I don't see any Bazz in Cole.
Fatts and boat are faternal twins. Cole is Bazz like in where he likes to get his points from and his tempo of play. Again, I don’t feel like our size in the back court lost us the game

Reaction Score
With Bouk leaving and us being on the rise in the NBE, we have never been a more attractive target for a high-level transfer. PG and Cs could be worried. Anyone on the wing should see a HUGE opportunity here.
We really should have our pick of 3/4 wings who want to be on the east coast. Maybe some 2s won't want to compete with Hawkins, but I think that's fairly easy sell to overcome to someone who likes the UConn brand. We can hopefully lock in on our guy and get him as has been Hurley's MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom