Recruiting: 2013 and such! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting: 2013 and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice thread. What I am going to say has been touched on before. Mostly. Geno will have his detractors and they will run with this one. The people that have been in his corner will stay in his corner. Geno & UCONN has done more the last 20 years for WCBB than any other university. We win whether we have the best athletes or not. That is from a combination of coaching and recruiting.
But it goes much deeper than that. It's knowing the type of kid that will fit. Coachable, wants to get better, un-egotistical, team player, unselfish. I would bet that Geno and CD would tell you it is much easier to recruit today than it used to be. Every young woman that comes to UCONN can play. I am not worried about recruiting. So DD did not come, that's fine. Perhaps she will be very happy at UNC. I wish her and her fellow "fab fiver's" nothing but the best ! We do not need the most athletic players, or players who are top 5 at every position. We win with team chemistry, and players who want to win, and will outwork any other team to attain the goals that Geno sets forth.

Slimmer

Reaction Score
I don't know about Reimer, but it's not far fetched to think that one of the reasons DeShields decided to drop UConn and go to UNC was so she could be the #1 player on the team. At UConn, they would have established players in seniors Hartley and Dolson, Juniors Lewis, Stokes and Banks, and Sophs Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck.

While she would still get minutes, DeShields would not be the #1 player and in fact, WOULD be a role player her freshman year. Based on everthing we've read, it is possible that is a situation she didn't want to be in.

Nothing wrong with that thought process on any posters part, nothing wrong with DeShields feeling this way if she did and doesn't need to be made fun of.
I don't think she will be the #1 option at UNC her freshman year because she is a freshman. The reason Uconn had 5 players with 100 assist a couple years back (even with Maya) is because there is no concept of a go to player, but a concept of read and react offense. Yes, Maya is where you wanted the ball to go more often, but it is not like the EDD situation. DD like Maya, DT or anyone else considers Uconn to play with other great players and play for Geno. playing with other great players means teams will pay for double teaming you. UNC plays a more run and gun style that maybe she thought her speed would fit better with, although Uconn love to run but with more stucture, so who knows. Great players get to play and should never worry about who else is on the team. Harper will get minutes where ever she goes. You still need depth

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think she will be the #1 option at UNC her freshman year because she is a freshman. The reason Uconn had 5 players with 100 assist a couple years back (even with Maya) is because there is no concept of a go to player, but a concept of read and react offense. Yes, Maya is where you wanted the ball to go more often, but it is not like the EDD situation. DD like Maya, DT or anyone else considers Uconn to play with other great players and play for Geno. playing with other great players means teams will pay for double teaming you. UNC plays a more run and gun style that maybe she thought her speed would fit better with, although Uconn love to run but with more stucture, so who knows. Great players get to play and should never worry about who else is on the team. Harper will get minutes where ever she goes. You still need depth

Who WILL be the #1 option at UNC her freshman year?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
DD will MAKE herself the number 1 option. She will not be the typical freshman who doesn't have complete confidence in her skills. She WILL be the number 1 option.

If they have a freshman as their #1 option, they are going to be hurting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

That may be true...for the first year. Baylor had a freshman as their first option when BG was a freshman and they went to the Final Four. If the player is special enough it can work out pretty well. DD looks pretty special, from what I've seen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who WILL be the #1 option at UNC her freshman year?

image-6BA0_4FDF678A.jpg

:rolleyes: They wont challenge for the top of the ACC that year regardless

after that..... well.... we will just have to see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
image-6BA0_4FDF678A.jpg

:rolleyes: They wont challenge for the top of the ACC that year regardless

after that..... well.... we will just have to see.
If you guys can hold them off for her first 2 years, that would be good. By the time the 2013 class are juniors, I think they have the advantage in the ACC.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you guys can hold them off for her first 2 years, that would be good. By the time the 2013 class are juniors, I think they have the advantage in the ACC.

And possibly the nation if they can add a 17th and 18th player.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

We will definitely be top dog in the ACC for the next two years. Depending on who else we can get for 2013.... and we will be in good shape for the 2014-15 year. After that??? Well..... I might have to move out of North Carolina for a few years :(

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We will definitely be top dog in the ACC for the next two years. Depending on who else we can get for 2013.... and we will be in good shape for the 2014-15 year. After that??? Well..... I might have to move out of North Carolina for a few years :(
Fear not, Sylvia is still the UNC coach.

Reaction Score

I am not sure what #1 option means, the leading scorer, crunch time scorer, or player who takes the most shots ? UNC should have plenty of firepower, and could have a great fast-break. There will be plenty of depth in the backcourt, and DD could play the 4 part time. Every game could have a different leading scorer, I don't see DD having to score 18 ppg for UNC to be good.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but what's going on with the 2013 UNC recruits could easily backfire! Some of the best made plans never work out for whatever reason! Just something to ponder! In the immediate, I wonder what her roster will look like this fall?!?!?

Reaction Score
The New Elite players want to make the desires known early, so they can start to have fun in their Junior and Senior years........Plus, its cheaper on the families and schools........

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but what's going on with the 2013 UNC recruits could easily backfire! Some of the best made plans never work out for whatever reason! Just something to ponder! In the immediate, I wonder what her roster will look like this fall?!?!?

That holds true for every program in America. It is not uncommon for programs to have attrition, such as EDD and Walker leaving UCONN. It's part of college sports that players transfer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not sure what #1 option means, the leading scorer, crunch time scorer, or player who takes the most shots ? UNC should have plenty of firepower, and could have a great fast-break. There will be plenty of depth in the backcourt, and DD could play the 4 part time. Every game could have a different leading scorer, I don't see DD having to score 18 ppg for UNC to be good.

To me, number 1 option means the go-to player, such as LeBron James at Miami and Kevin Durant at OKC. Every team needs a player that wants to take the big shot, and that will probably be DD at UNC. Baylor was lucky enough to have two go-to players last year in Sims and Griner.

I truly believe that as a freshman Stewart will be UCONN's go-to player next season. She seems to be so smooth and confident that she will be willing to step up and put the team on her shoulders.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I truly believe that as a freshman Stewart will be UCONN's go-to player next season. She seems to be so smooth and confident that she will be willing to step up and put the team on her shoulders.
I disagree. I think Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson will continue to be the go-to players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson will continue to be the go-to players.

I think that at the end of a game when a big shot is needed that I would go to Stewart. Maybe she needs the first year to assimilate into the offense but it would be difficult for me not to give her the ball and let her make a play.

I think that she will defer to the current players most of the game but will take control when the game is on the line.

What an embarrassment of riches UCONN will have next season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
To me, number 1 option means the go-to player, such as LeBron James at Miami and Kevin Durant at OKC. Every team needs a player that wants to take the big shot, and that will probably be DD at UNC. Baylor was lucky enough to have two go-to players last year in Sims and Griner.

I hope you are right about Stewart. That means that potential AA's Dolson, Hartley and Lewis will be role players....lol. What a team!!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think that at the end of a game when a big shot is needed that I would go to Stewart. Maybe she needs the first year to assimilate into the offense but it would be difficult for me not to give her the ball and let her make a play.

I think that she will defer to the current players most of the game but will take control when the game is on the line.

What an embarrassment of riches UCONN will have next season.
Geno has been very consistent about not wanting to put undue pressure on his freshmen. Even Maya and Diana Taurasi were not the go-to players on their respective teams as freshmen. This coming year, Geno has the more experienced Bria, Stef and Kaleena which means he doesn't need Breanna to be the #1 option. He will not expect Breanna to carry the team in any manner whatsoever.

Reaction Score

I think UCONN could have five go-to players on the court at the same time(Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, KML, Breanna Stewart, and Morgan Tuck or Mo Jefferson).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno has been very consistent about not wanting to put undue pressure on his freshmen. Even Maya and Diana Taurasi were not the go-to players on their respective teams as freshmen. This coming year, Geno has the more experienced Bria, Stef and Kaleena which means he doesn't need Breanna to be the #1 option. He will not expect Breanna to carry the team in any manner whatsoever.

Hartley or Lewis will be taking that shot at the end of the game in the one game where there be a possible game ending shot.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I hope you are right about Stewart. That means that potential AA's Dolson, Hartley and Lewis will be role players....lol. What a team!!!!!

Next season's All-American team is largely set: Griner, DelleDonne, and Diggins seem to be locks. Sims and Chiney are both likely, but not certain.

I fully expect Hartley to make at least 2nd team (five player squad), if not first. Kaleena will be no more than a vote or two behind her.

Steph will compete with every center but Griner for another season, then I think it's between her and Williams.

I can only dream about how voters will deal with Breanna et al before Kaleena and Bria graduate.

Does the NCAA allow a lottery?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

How do you see KML's role, and performance, evolving in her 2nd go-round?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think UCONN could have five go-to players on the court at the same time(Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, KML, Breanna Stewart, and Morgan Tuck or Mo Jefferson).

IMO, if you have 5 you have none. Just my opinion, but it takes a player like Maya, BG, Nneka, EDD, etc., at that critical moment. Not every player has the instincts for the moment, which is why I think Stewart will be the crunch-time player. I think this is something that UCONN was missing last year and will likely have in Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom