Really What can you say | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Really What can you say

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As all of you can see I am a big fan of Gabby, but one of the posts I made at the beginning of the season, While i said that watching Gabby would be something special this year, I also said that Chong looked like she would be nothing more than an reliable sub. I could not have been more wrong. Chong has repeatedly impressed me and in this game she was a rock defensively. Her assist to turnover ratio is the best in the country and the help she gave while collapsing on the SC bigs when they got the ball was special to watch. What a welcome surprise she has been this year!
Chong has really come on strong this year. Geno and company must really be proud of her.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly not saying anything new in this thread - but wow. With all that happened to them - Kia's injury, Lou's poor shooting - foul trouble - to come together and grind out that win was impressive. This team is on a mission to be seen as a great team on their own merits. What can be better than that! I hope they can cap off this incredible season with a NCAA crown.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One must give Dawn and SC credit for defending Lou. For the most part it worked.

But let us see if SC, along with other teams, learn the lesson that if you try to shut down UConn's top scorer, you are going to pay and pay big time. It was obvious from the onset of the game that Wilson and SC couldn't defend Gabby at all. Sc could also not defend the passing that evolved creating many looks for Pheesa.

Look at the stats - Pheesa and Gabby out rebounded and out scored the AA duo of WIlson and Coates.

UConn has the 5 starters who can kill you on any given night. No one else has that.

Reaction Score
Great game. Great win for a great team.

That being said, the officiating was atrocious. It didn't come across as partial to either team though, at least not to my eye.

But something needs to be done to improve WCBB officiating: better pay for a better class of referee?, training seminars? I have no solution but the problem is obvious.
Why the call on UConn when 2 people go up for a rebound and there is contact, that would suggest a no call' Refs were awful some muggings no call some ticky tac called very inconsitant

Reaction Score
Gabby and Naphessa are excellent last night.
I will also give credits to Katie Lou, Saniya, Crystal and Butler for their great defense in the second half.

Reaction Score
I have yet to watch the game, but have seen the box score and read a few accounts. Kia hobbled and out for over a half. Lou blanketed and nearly blanked, Napheesa fouls. Yet they win. As a group this team defines team. It is hard not to hold a strong affinity for this hard working and hard nosed bunch. Great kids, but warriors all.
So, you didn't hear the fans chanting at half-time, "Where is Rocky, Where is Rocky?" ?

Reaction Score
What would any of us have concluded if we couldnt watch and didnt hear anything about the game and then were told that Lou was held to 2 points, Kia played for only 18 minutes, and Napheesa fouled out??

What a win! What a team! They have put a huge exclamation point on what was a more than respectable win streak and are having a transformative season of their own.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me tell ya. We had Nurse hurt, Lou had a poor game scoring and we had late foul trouble in Phessa and Lou and we were up 16 late in the 4th qtr. I dont think we have much to be concerned with over the next few months. We have proven over and over again that we will win with obstacles infront of us. Everything doesnt have to go right for us to win. Geno is the best coach ever in BB. He has achieved more then any other coach and his teams have made a mockery of almost every record there ever was. I am most impressed with continuing to beat ever record his teams set. So as the season moves forward this year and next how will be beat a record of lets say 120-0 150-0 195-0. Next year we get better with our recruiting class and we will the following year with Collier verballing and I would think we will get a top guard and wing out of that class and then the following year we're looking at Sam Brunelle and Danielle Cosgrove. How many years is that? What Geno has accomplished is insane.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Have to disagree. KLS has been under the weather, and playing far less well than she has most of the season, the past couple of weeks. It wasn't South Carolina. Clearly, she's not well. Coach Geno said as much several days ago, and it shows.

Hope the kid gets better soon.
She had 22 points on Saturday against SMU, after not practicing Thursday or Friday, she was 8-13 and 3-6 from 3, the only difference is the level of competition. She didn't have a great game against ND either and Muffett game-planned to stop her. It's not a knock, as Connecticut fans seem to take any criticism of any player on the team as a knock, it's just a fact. She'll get better, Stewie was the same way her sophomore year, she came back her Jr. season stronger and a better ball-handler and was the best player in America. I see the same things in Lou, I'll extrapolate what I said in the previous post to all the teams in America, this is the year to get her because next year she'll be unguardable....

Reaction Score
It was obvious that SC could not keep up with UCONN later in the game.

Watch it again and notice in the 3rd quarter when BOTH Coates and A'ja began jogging back to defense, way behind ALL other players.

It was inevitable.

Once the initial adrenaline rush is over, the weakness sets in.

SC again pressed hard for a few minutes in the start of the 3rd quarter.

But within a coupla minutes, they were out of it.

Reaction Score
Greetings, I'm a new Boneyard member/poster, but have been following posts all season.

One thing that comes to mind when I watch UCONN is a line from the movie "Remember the Titans", Denzel Washington as Coach Boone explaining his veer offense to the former head football coach and now his assistant... "it's like novocaine, give it time and it always works." That's how UCONN plays. In the toughest games they start out with a close back and forth contest (with some notable exceptions), and as the game wears on, they pull away and seal the deal.

The SC game was no different. As the 2nd quarter neared it's close the novocaine took over and the lead started to be build. As the 3rd quarter was winding down the lead grew...and of course in the end proved to be too much for SC to recover.

Leading up to the game, I read many prognosticators and posters on various sites talk about what it would take for a UCONN loss...and most of them happened, Kia injury, cold shooting from outside, referees, foul trouble... and so on. But, the Novocaine was doing it's job... Gabby, Phessa, Danger, Nat, all stepped up and played great. Contributions from everyone on the court...a great TEAM win, with Gabby as the exclamation mark!

Reaction Score
so what did happen to Kia? When did she sprain her ankle? I didn't see it.. or was it in practice or such?
Aggravated a previous practice (?) injury to her ankle. Last game (before SC) the announcers mentioned the ankle support she was wearing and were amazed she showed no ill effects. But, by the SC game she had somehow damaged it again.

Reaction Score
No other team defended Lou as good as SC did last night. She could not get an open shot. SC could not defend Gabby because they keyed on Lou.
WRONG!
SC could not defend Gabby because she is a beast! AJa or Coates were assigned to guard the Gabster! They had nothing to do with Lou. Stop it people please! Lou was under the weather and being face guarded by her defender. Gabby just went to work vs her defender.

Reaction Score
WRONG!
SC could not defend Gabby because she is a beast! AJa or Coates were assigned to guard the Gabster! They had nothing to do with Lou. Stop it people please! Lou was under the weather and being face guarded by her defender. Gabby just went to work vs her defender.
You just agreed with my point. Lou was face guarded by her defender. No other team does that. This is not put down of Lou. The strength of this team is if you try to stop one player another will make you pay.
Stop with the " Lou is sick" excuse. Geno and the players do not use it so why do the fans? None of us are in the locker room and have no idea about injuries/sick or who is in the doghouse.
And why are some of you so sensitive and defensive of this stuff? Also can you give the other team some credit sometimes.
Good Lord. End of Rant

Reaction Score
I was able to watch the early pre-game shooting warm up from the floor. I was immediately struck that Lou wasn't "on". She was working her way around the arc and missed more shots than I had seen before. She looked a little tight and not comfortable. I hoped she would do better once she loosened up and got into the flow of the game. But I wasn't totally surprised that her shot was off in the game.
Hope some rest will allow a reset for her.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
It was obvious that SC could not keep up with UCONN later in the game.

Watch it again and notice in the 3rd quarter when BOTH Coates and A'ja began jogging back to defense, way behind ALL other players.

While watching the replay last night, I noted that on Crystal's breakaway layup late in the game, the ONLY other player visible trailing her was Pheesa. Had Crystal missed it, no SC player would have been around; they just gave up on it.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

I read that in the NYTimes this am-- that's just amazing! That's "Highest-Rated" for all games, women OR men. Good to remember that for all those who claim that no one cares because it's "just" women/girls playing," and that UConn's dominance kills interest in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Suppose to be a tuff game and it was for a while. However with Nurse on the bench and Samuelson having an off nite and UConn was up 16 in the 4th qtr. Last nite exemplified team ball. It was all about executing plays on both sides of the ball and finding the open player. So we're at 100 in a row and counting and youve got to wonder whats next. What are we something like 148-1. It really doesnt matter. UConn is putting Womens basketball on the map. More fans are watching.

Gabby and Phessa were outstanding. Not intimidated by SC height. The real secret to the game is with Lou having an off nite UConn got the job done. In the second half UConn shut down Wilson and SC had problems. Lou having an off nite and Nurse sitting for most of the game and UConn had no problems. Thats where the team concept comes in.

Truly a great team effort. Really what can you say.

What you CAN say is: Katie Lou scored a bit--just enough to keep SC's defense occupied with her---so much so 5 SC players converged on her--this occupation with kLS --gave Gabby and Precious more time/room to move and be effective. Then to you CAN say:
Danger filling in for KIA did a Yoeman's job . The kid played like a pro. Then too you CAN say: Natalie Butler player her best/greatest game as a Husky against SC's bigs and held her own-- But your Can probably say more. thanks Tony what you said was terrific--but you CAN always say more about this finely tuned machine called WBB Uconn huskies...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No other team defended Lou as good as SC did last night. She could not get an open shot. SC could not defend Gabby because they keyed on Lou.

This is true. It also exposed Wilson and Coates' defensive deficiencies. While not as athletic as Gabby (who is?), Collier was able to score on them. Once with a beautiful move splitting both of them. I believe, at least statistically, Williams and Collier are the two best players on the UCONN team. David Naples' algorithm for positives per minute supports this assertion. Samuel son is the best scorer by a slim margin, but these two are the best all-arond players.

Reaction Score
Chong has really come on strong this year. Geno and company must really be proud of her.
Obviously all of us FAN's are proud of the success Saniya has had this year---this is the perfect way for a Senior to celebrate Senior Night and a very good career at Uconn---leading a championship /100 plus winning team!! Thank Meyer's Chong deserves all the pats on the back she can get.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom