Really What can you say | The Boneyard

Really What can you say

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Suppose to be a tuff game and it was for a while. However with Nurse on the bench and Samuelson having an off nite and UConn was up 16 in the 4th qtr. Last nite exemplified team ball. It was all about executing plays on both sides of the ball and finding the open player. So we're at 100 in a row and counting and youve got to wonder whats next. What are we something like 148-1. It really doesnt matter. UConn is putting Womens basketball on the map. More fans are watching.

Gabby and Phessa were outstanding. Not intimidated by SC height. The real secret to the game is with Lou having an off nite UConn got the job done. In the second half UConn shut down Wilson and SC had problems. Lou having an off nite and Nurse sitting for most of the game and UConn had no problems. Thats where the team concept comes in.

Truly a great team effort. Really what can you say.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Surprising win considering the Off Night that KLS had and Kia limited to 18 minutes because of a bad ankle. Gabby and Napheesa obviously carried the team combining for 44 of the 66 points the team scored. Geno's comments during the post game press conference about Saniya taking 2 charges and KLS getting an offensive rebound was a reminder to both, just because you're having a bad shooting night, you can do other thinks to help the team win. That's what this team did last night, they played great defense, got rebounds against a superior sized team and equally important held their composure against a tough opponent when things weren't going right. Glad the game was played at Gampel as it was a great friendly atmosphere.

Reaction Score
well my nightmare scenario that I assumed would lead to a UConn loss took place.............injuries and foul problems and add to that an off night by the team's leading scorer..............and yet they still won the game..............this team is simply amazing..............

Reaction Score
Great game by huskies in the face of some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. Gamecock game plan to slow the pace and " hack & grab " was pathetic way to showcase wcbb. KLS was barely able to hold onto the ball , let alone get off a shot. My thought while watching , were , that, they can't grab Gabby, cuz, they can't keep up with her ! And Doris ? Ranting about how wcbb was going to feel better about itself , because huskies were down one point in 1st quarter ? Then suddenly flipping the switch when they spurt for the lead. I fear we are in for far more of the same come tourney time. Great job by the huskies for "GUTTING " this one out !

Reaction Score
I had thought that the team would need their A game and to avoid fouls and injury. That didn't happen,yet they won! Kind of amazed that they outrebounded SC. Really gritty win with never a panic. Saniya was solid again when they really needed that. I'm still exhausted!

Reaction Score
Excellent posts. I was tracking the game with Game Tracker. I can't wait to watch the game.

Reaction Score
Great game. Great win for a great team.

That being said, the officiating was atrocious. It didn't come across as partial to either team though, at least not to my eye.

But something needs to be done to improve WCBB officiating: better pay for a better class of referee?, training seminars? I have no solution but the problem is obvious.

Reaction Score
Suppose to be a tuff game and it was for a while.

The next really big test will probably be at the East Regionals during the NCAAs, and I am sure that I speak for many when I thank Tony for arranging the tickets so far in advance! What a great thing to do for us.

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to it!

Reaction Score
As all of you can see I am a big fan of Gabby, but one of the posts I made at the beginning of the season, While i said that watching Gabby would be something special this year, I also said that Chong looked like she would be nothing more than an reliable sub. I could not have been more wrong. Chong has repeatedly impressed me and in this game she was a rock defensively. Her assist to turnover ratio is the best in the country and the help she gave while collapsing on the SC bigs when they got the ball was special to watch. What a welcome surprise she has been this year!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have yet to watch the game, but have seen the box score and read a few accounts. Kia hobbled and out for over a half. Lou blanketed and nearly blanked, Napheesa fouls. Yet they win. As a group this team defines team. It is hard not to hold a strong affinity for this hard working and hard nosed bunch. Great kids, but warriors all.

Reaction Score
so what did happen to Kia? When did she sprain her ankle? I didn't see it... or was it in practice or such?

Reaction Score
To say that I exhausted my deep reservoir of dirty words and obscene gestures while waiting for ESPN2 to join the UConn game, would be an exaggeration. Until 9:40, TX and FSU tried to tie the record for most missed free-throws; I could have rung all of their necks.

What I did eventually get to see was a ferocious defensive struggle between two teams fighting to keep the other from scoring. Geno's predictable strategy is to take away what an opponent wants to do, in this case to address the large and talented interior of SC's team. Coach reckons that if he is successful, his team can outscore anyone else. And that's exactly what happened. Credit to the Gamecocks for resisting the Huskies as well as they did, but because SC is essentially the same type of team as last year, they just can't score enough points to win against the best teams. Unless these two meet in the NC tourney and SC wins, this is probably the Gamecock's last chance for a crown while Aja is there.

As for the inestimable Gabby Williams, it was no hyperbole to call her "one of the best players in the country." Her level of energy coupled with her God-given talent makes her one-of-a-kind.

So: that's it. Barring an OZ-size typhoon, UConn will enter the NC tourney undefeated (again). Can they win it all this year? You betcha. You're next Wayland Baptist Flying Queens!

Reaction Score
Great game. Great win for a great team.

That being said, the officiating was atrocious. It didn't come across as partial to either team though, at least not to my eye.

But something needs to be done to improve WCBB officiating: better pay for a better class of referee?, training seminars? I have no solution but the problem is obvious.

FanHam- - -agree, WBB has the worst refs of any sport! I have said many times on BY that a major problem is supervisors are refs that the present refs worked 25 years with, they need retired NBA refs with no ties to WBB. It is crazy that the refs are beyond incompetent and nothing changes! Hard to believe the WNBA IS WORSE.

Reaction Score
No other team defended Lou as good as SC did last night. She could not get an open shot. SC could not defend Gabby because they keyed on Lou.
Well, Gabby had a bit to do with her own success. She is a big-game hunter determined to bag trophy. Her disruptive presence helps Lou as much as vice-versa. It takes a team, and Gabby is one of the keys. Without Gabby, last night would have been the end of the streak. Every game a different hero, that is how they win.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Suppose to be a tuff game and it was for a while. However with Nurse on the bench and Samuelson having an off nite and UConn was up 16 in the 4th qtr. Last nite exemplified team ball. It was all about executing plays on both sides of the ball and finding the open player. So we're at 100 in a row and counting and youve got to wonder whats next. What are we something like 148-1. It really doesnt matter. UConn is putting Womens basketball on the map. More fans are watching.

Gabby and Phessa were outstanding. Not intimidated by SC height. The real secret to the game is with Lou having an off nite UConn got the job done. In the second half UConn shut down Wilson and SC had problems. Lou having an off nite and Nurse sitting for most of the game and UConn had no problems. Thats where the team concept comes in.

You place a lot of emphasis on the fact that Lou had an "off nite." Lou was well-defended by S.Carolina, in general and Allisha Gray, in particular, Lou has shown that if teams rough her up, it affects her game much the same as a sophomore Stewie. Lou has to improve her ball-handling so that she can get to wherever she wants to on the floor. She didn't have an "off nite." What she got was an abject lesson in high-level D-1 WCBB, when you are the star of the your team and your opponent game-plans to specifically stop you, as their key to victory. She 2-12, 0-5 from 3, 2 rebs, 3 asts. and a steal. Another BY'er posts a thread boasting about how she did all the little things and had a great game, well she didn't and that's okay. She'll learn from this and get better, she's still an AA-caliber player. Dawn had better have something special cooked up for her next year because she's going to be hard to deal with.....

Reaction Score
I think Lou is sicker that most of the us know, she played Saturday and played well but she looked awful. She looks very pale and tired from the flu. She gave every thing she had, I think if they play again a healthy Lou will light them up. What else can we say about Gabby, just a tremendous effort, I would be willing to put her on the AAA list.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As for the inestimable Gabby Williams, it was no hyperbole to call her "one of the best players in the country." Her level of energy coupled with her God-given talent makes her one-of-a-kind.

So true!

Your word choice reminded me of a line offered by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Taking a few liberties for Gabby's benefit, the line might read as follows:

"Miss Williams further announces her intention to use her not inconsiderable talents for the immediate capture, for purpose of victory, of the Gamecocks' last hopes."

aadb042a63ab224a97cf91db12d8090b.jpg

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
So true!

Your word choice reminded me of a line offered by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Taking a few liberties for Gabby's benefit, the line might read as follows:

"Miss Williams further announces her intention to use her not inconsiderable talents for the immediate capture, for purpose of victory, of the Gamecocks' last hopes."

View attachment 19758
I know at least 3 people who believe she's the best player in America; Dawn Staley, Alaina Coates and A'ja Wilson.....

Reaction Score
The next really big test will probably be at the East Regionals during the NCAAs, and I am sure that I speak for many when I thank Tony for arranging the tickets so far in advance! What a great thing to do for us.

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to it!
I second that ! Thank you TonyC for arranging the tickets for regionals .

Reaction Score
You place a lot of emphasis on the fact that Lou had an "off nite." Lou was well-defended by S.Carolina, in general and Allisha Gray, in particular, Lou has shown that if teams rough her up, it affects her game much the same as a sophomore Stewie. Lou has to improve her ball-handling so that she can get to wherever she wants to on the floor. She didn't have an "off nite." What she got was an abject lesson in high-level D-1 WCBB, when you are the star of the your team and your opponent game-plans to specifically stop you, as their key to victory. She 2-12, 0-5 from 3, 2 rebs, 3 asts. and a steal. Another BY'er posts a thread boasting about how she did all the little things and had a great game, well she didn't and that's okay. She'll learn from this and get better, she's still an AA-caliber player. Dawn had better have something special cooked up for her next year because she's going to be hard to deal with....

Have to disagree. KLS has been under the weather, and playing far less well than she has most of the season, the past couple of weeks. It wasn't South Carolina. Clearly, she's not well. Coach Geno said as much several days ago, and it shows.

Hope the kid gets better soon.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As all of you can see I am a big fan of Gabby, but one of the posts I made at the beginning of the season, While i said that watching Gabby would be something special this year, I also said that Chong looked like she would be nothing more than an reliable sub. I could not have been more wrong. Chong has repeatedly impressed me and in this game she was a rock defensively. Her assist to turnover ratio is the best in the country and the help she gave while collapsing on the SC bigs when they got the ball was special to watch. What a welcome surprise she has been this year!

You made the same error as several others on BY regarding Saniya. The difference here is that you are big enough and honest enough to admit it. It did take awhile, but she has become a reliable and savvy player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom