OT: - Realignment? | Page 58 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Another interesting article from paint touches….what are big east tv rights worth…what i gather in the article is he thinks the next big east tv deal will be in the 70 to 100 million year range which is around the 6 to 9 million a year per school…he thinks the big east could get more if we go with apple or Amazon… sorry I don’t know how to post the article on the boneyard…

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Another interesting article from paint touches….what are big east tv rights worth…what i gather in the article is he thinks the next big east tv deal will be in the 70 to 100 million year range which is around the 6 to 9 million a year per school…he thinks the big east could get more if we go with apple or Amazon… sorry I don’t know how to post the article on the boneyard…
How to post a link on The Boneyard

Reaction Score
I like it. I think the large state U's should stick together and keep it real. Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, they should play in the same conference. Same with Iowa, Oklahoma, etc. If life can go on for Washington State without UW, I think it's better overall if they stick together.
I don't think any program should be tied to another against its wishes. If both programs mutually agree to the arrangement that's cool, but if the opportunity to advance for one program is limited by its association with another program that's kind of crap. Imagine being UW, OU, or KU having a chance at The B1G and being told they can't pursue it because WSU, OSU, or KSU would have to be left behind. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Sorry…after i read the article again.. he thinks we are going to be on the lower end of the 70 to 100 million year range

Reaction Score
I don't think any program should be tied to another against its wishes. If both programs mutually agree to the arrangement that's cool, but if the opportunity to advance for one program is limited by its association with another program that's kind of crap. Imagine being UW, OU, or KU having a chance at The B1G and being told they can't pursue it because WSU, OSU, or KSU would have to be left behind. Yikes.
I'm good with it. It's good for the state, the students, the athletes, the fans. Just because the system is farked doesn't mean we can't do better.

Reaction Score
I'm good with it. It's good for the state, the students, the athletes, the fans. Just because the system is farked doesn't mean we can't do better.
Not great for the school denied the opportunity to double its media revenue. I can't even imagine the uproar if an Oklahoma was left out of The SEC because they had to be tied to Ok State.

Reaction Score
Not great for the school denied the opportunity to double its media revenue. I can't even imagine the uproar if an Oklahoma was left out of The SEC because they had to be tied to Ok State.

But is it really as bad as the fans make it? It's like saying someone who is worth half a billion is in badshape because the person next to them os worth a billion. If you're a Big 12 like Oklahoma State you should be more than capable of making 55 million dollars work at an elite more. With these schools more money usually means more expenses. And in the case of an Oklahoma State being in the Big 12 with a 100+ million dollar revenue stream is more than worth it.

Reaction Score
But is it really as bad as the fans make it? It's like saying someone who is worth half a billion is in badshape because the person next to them os worth a billion. If you're a Big 12 like Oklahoma State you should be more than capable of making 55 million dollars work at an elite more. With these schools more money usually means more expenses. And in the case of an Oklahoma State being in the Big 12 with a 100+ million dollar revenue stream is more than worth it.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. OSU has no other options. They better be happy in The Big 12 making whatever that contract pays out. Oklahoma and Texas on the other hand had legit opportunities elsewhere and finally pursued them. OU boosters would have rebelled if there was a legit offer on the table to go to The SEC or B1G with UT and it was scuttled because little brother needed to be protected. Sink or swim on your own merit. This should be no different for UW, OU, KU, UNC, UVA, FSU or whatever other schools have to carry the weight of a lesser program around their necks due to the preservation of an instate rivalry.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are getting at. OSU has no other options. They better be happy in The Big 12 making whatever that contract pays out. Oklahoma and Texas on the other hand had legit opportunities elsewhere and finally pursued them. OU boosters would have rebelled if there was a legit offer on the table to go to The SEC or B1G with UT and it was scuttled because little brother needed to be protected. Sink or swim on your own merit. This should be no different for UW, OU, KU, UNC, UVA, FSU or whatever other schools have to carry the weight of a lesser program around their necks due to the preservation of an instate rivalry.

I agree with you, I'm not saying that OSU was unhappy I'm saying the opposite. A school like Oklahoma State should be more than capable of investing 55 million a d competing at a high level. That's why they're excited about the new Big 12 TV deal. I'm saying that schools in the Big 12 are in a great position.

Reaction Score
I agree with you, I'm not saying that OSU was unhappy I'm saying the opposite. A school like Oklahoma State should be more than capable of investing 55 million a d competing at a high level. That's why they're excited about the new Big 12 TV deal. I'm saying that schools in the Big 12 are in a great position.
The Big 12 is a bit of an Island of Misfit Toys as compared to its original construction. There is good football and basketball being played there, but the brands aren't very valuable individually outside of Kansas. They are likely safe as the 3rd power conference for the foreseeable future as their closest competitor will be kneecapped in the final realignment shift.

When ESPN finishes milking the ACC for every dollar that they can on their below market value deal, they will facilitate the strip mining of key resources to The SEC. They know that they'll likely lose a few properties to FOX/CBS/NBC & The B1G but they'll come out financially better off paying Clemson and FSU 90+ million dollars a year while not paying the likes of Wake, BC, Pitt, Cuse and other bottom feeder programs 50+ on a new ACC Deal. They can offer the remnants of the conference 20+ or tell them that they can market themselves to Apple or Amazon.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is a bit of an Island of Misfit Toys as compared to its original construction. There is good football and basketball being played there, but the brands aren't very valuable individually outside of Kansas. They are likely safe as the 3rd power conference for the foreseeable future as their closest competitor will be kneecapped in the final realignment shift.

When ESPN finishes milking the ACC for every dollar that they can on their below market value deal, they will facilitate the strip mining of key resources to The SEC. They know that they'll likely lose a few properties to FOX/CBS/NBC & The B1G but they'll come out financially better off paying Clemson and FSU 90+ million dollars a year while not paying the likes of Wake, BC, Pitt, Cuse and other bottom feeder programs 50+ on a new ACC Deal. They can offer the remnants of the conference 20+ or tell them that they can market themselves to Apple or Amazon.
My thinking is a better bet will be to destroy the brands such as Clemson and FSU while focusing on the P2. That way the networks save money by not having to pay more just to add a couple more mouths.

Reaction Score
My thinking is a better bet will be to destroy the brands such as Clemson and FSU while focusing on the P2. That way the networks save money by not having to pay more just to add a couple more mouths.
I think that the TV networks will work to keep the Big 12 and ACC alive. They need more content than just the Big Ten and SEC and it is much easier and better to have multiple conferences than a 24 to 30 school SEC and B1G.

Reaction Score
I think that the TV networks will work to keep the Big 12 and ACC alive. They need more content than just the Big Ten and SEC and it is much easier and better to have multiple conferences than a 24 to 30 school SEC and B1G.
I don’t disagree with you. My thinking is why pay Clemson and FSU P2 dollars when you have them locked up in a P3 conference.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with you. My thinking is why pay Clemson and FSU P2 dollars when you have them locked up in a P3 conference.

Because....FSU and Clemson bring viewing value (more so than Cuse, BC, Wake etc...).

Might be worth more to ESPN to have FSU/Clemson playing Bama, LSU, Tennessee, A&M,etc.

Right now, FSU and Clemson are being paid the same as BC....

If FSU, Cemson..bring $45 million more value playing SEC teams than playing Duke, Wake, BC, Cuse, etc...it could happen.

Reaction Score
Because....FSU and Clemson bring viewing value (more so than Cuse, BC, Wake etc...).

Might be worth more to ESPN to have FSU/Clemson playing Bama, LSU, Tennessee, A&M,etc.

Right now, FSU and Clemson are being paid the same as BC....

If FSU, Cemson..bring $45 million more value playing SEC teams than playing Duke, Wake, BC, Cuse, etc...it could happen.
FSU and Clemson are safe. No doubt.

Reaction Score
Its more about the next deal not the current one. Right now, ESPN has these schools locked up on a below market value deal. They have zero motivation to pay them anything above what is in the current contract. Schools like Clemson, FSU, UNC and perhaps a few others are worth well over what they are being paid. If the ACC Remains together, they will be looking for sizable deal to remain with the network. From ESPN's Perspective why not pay a few schools from The ACC a lot more money and pay the remnants of the league way less? Consider what ESPN did to the original Football Members of The Big East. They will 100% try this again. They'll aim to make the leftover ACC a new AAC from a deal perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom