OT: - Realignment? | Page 57 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
I'll ask again. What are you talking about?
As I said, I was not talking at all about ticket sales, that’s small potatoes. There is this new thing called sport’s broadcasting where you can watch a sporting event from your couch, so you don’t have to buy a ticket and drive there, and the broadcaster makes millions and millions selling ad time during the event. Everyone gets a piece. It’s really cool.

Reaction Score
The big east tourney is at msg through 2028, they most likely won’t even begin negotiating for two more years, so this idea that msg is looking to get out is most likely just in your mind only at this point, or have you actually seen anything?
UConn won’t be there, by that time they’ll be long gone (maybe Villanova too) and the Big East’s negotiating position along with sagging ratings, will be a very very weak one.

Reaction Score
UConn won’t be there, by that time they’ll be long gone (maybe Villanova too) and the Big East’s negotiating position along with sagging ratings, will be a very very weak one.
While that might be a good working hypothesis let’s not act like you’re speaking about things that are facts or even close to being true yet. Your making quite a few assumptions here

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No, ticket sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the ratings and that being tied to national ad sales. Ratings are important because they determine how much broadcasters can charge. If you think the Super Bowl which is another sports venue, makes the majority of its money on ticket sales, then I can’t even begin to tell you how wrong you are. MSG is not just the arena, MSG is a nationwide sports broadcaster, production facilities, etc. It’s no different than ESPN or the Yankees YES network. Why do you think the Yankees decided several years back to broadcast their own games?
What are you taking about? The venue doesn’t get the TV revenue, the league does. They cover tickets sales, which are generally sold out through all games.

Reaction Score
What are you taking about? The venue doesn’t get the TV revenue, the league does. They cover tickets sales, which are generally sold out through all games.
I think that what he is trying to say is that the real value is in having a national audience view games on TV and that the thousands seeing the games in person are secondary to pulling in large national numbers.

Reaction Score
I think he’s alluding to the costs running the arena being very high. Beyond the rent of the bowl, they have to rent the production space from the facility, use the facility contracted production staff at the contracted rates (or at least pay them, while using your own), NYC taxes, etc.

I’ve heard that groups like WWE rarely turn a profit on TV tapings from MSG due to those production requirements. However it’s a cost they sometimes suck up due to the prestige of running their show from the Garden.

Reaction Score
Do you live in the Great Smokie’s? The venue can and does get a small piece of the tv revenue. Let me educate you, if I may. When ESPN use to broadcast the Big East Tournament years ago, they didn’t park a Satellite truck outside and beam the signal through the tall buildings. The Dolan family’s fiber line does that, MSG owns that fiber network. Ok so far? The league doesn’t usually get ad revenue, the broadcaster does, unless they pay for one or two 30 sec spots. Broadcasting and ad sales in sports can be very complicated, but sometimes not, it just depends on the arrangement. I know, as I used to work in the business.

Reaction Score
Can never tell...

ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips’ slip of the tongue was perhaps a sign of the times in college sports.

In discussing ways to improve the conference’s revenue stream to make it more competitive with the newly expanded SEC and Big Ten, Phillips said he would do what was best “for our 17 teams.” He then caught himself and corrected it to 15 teams.

He said the ACC is exploring all options for expansion and trying to find ways to hike TV revenue to be more competitive with the SEC and Big Ten. That means doing some raiding of its own and renegotiating TV deals.

Everything is on the table. We understand what that means. We understand what that revenue means moving forward, but I will also say, as I look at the next few years, I like where we're going. But, again, the window is through '36, so we're going to have to address it, no question.

Reaction Score
This article talks about the ACC being in danger long-term and a path forward may be to merge with the B1G or SEC if either would want them.

This article smells of desperation. Similar to the posters on this board who said there was going to be a bidding war between the BIG and ACC over us

Reaction Score
I was at the game (my son is a senior at Penn State) - overall, it was a great experience at an iconic venue.

Ultimately, I think future attendance will be driven by the same thing that drives attendance at every bowl - alumni proximity to the stadium. Attendance was 95,000, split roughly 2/3 Utah, and 1/3 Penn State. I saw lots of Utah license plates around town and in the parking lot but (surprisingly) no Pennsylvania license plates.

BTW - I did wear a Uconn t-shirt and shouted "Huskies" each time Utah chanted "U-tah".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was at the game (my son is a senior at Penn State) - overall, it was a great experience at an iconic venue.

Ultimately, I think future attendance will be driven by the same thing that drives attendance at every bowl - alumni proximity to the stadium. Attendance was 95,000, split roughly 2/3 Utah, and 1/3 Penn State. I saw lots of Utah license plates around town and in the parking lot but (surprisingly) no Pennsylvania license plates.

BTW - I did wear a Uconn t-shirt and shouted "Huskies" each time Utah chanted "U-tah".
I imagine any PSU attendee who drove to the game lives a lot closer to Pasadena than Pennsylvania. Those from the keystone state most likely flew in.

Reaction Score

The pageantry of the Rose Bowl is hard to beat, but with the overwhelming majority of our alums living on the east coast, myself included, it's a difficult ask especially over the holidays. I did find the symmetry of playing in Rose Bowl Games 100 years apart to be pretty cool, and if not for some family health issues I would have likely gone. Glad you had a good time and give your son a "We Are" from me.

Reaction Score
Some in the Washington legislature want to guarantee the Washington Huskies are left behind.

Reaction Score
Some in the Washington legislature want to guarantee the Washington Huskies are left behind.

Politics' version of the poison pill. SMH.

Reaction Score
Virginia did it for VaTech to the ACC.
I dont think so. UVA and the state of VA influenced the ACC to choose VA Tech but it was never legislation like what is being proposed in WA that would legally bind the 2 state schools together.

Reaction Score

I like it. I think the large state U's should stick together and keep it real. Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, they should play in the same conference. Same with Iowa, Oklahoma, etc. If life can go on for Washington State without UW, I think it's better overall if they stick together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom