OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
If you recall Aresco’s vision was a coast to coast conference
Remember they added TCU
and San Diego State
and Boise were on the fence until the MW went to uneven compensation
He also had a vision of a bigger pay day which fizzled
The B1G did the same with much more financial clout

Yep. And the WAC in the 1990's was the first super conference before some schools broke off to form the Mountain West.

I think you have to have top brands coast to coast to make something like this work, which neither the WAC or AAC had.

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yep. And the WAC in the 1990's was the first super conference before some schools broke off to form the Mountain West.

I think you have to have top brands coast to coast to make something like this work, which neither the WAC or AAC had.

It is not going to work. Michigan and Ohio State are going to get tired of carrying all the dead weight and there is going to be a problem.

Reaction Score
It is not going to work. Michigan and Ohio State are going to get tired of carrying all the dead weight and there is going to be a problem.
There have to be bottom feeders in every conference to ensure the top teams rack up wins every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There have to be bottom feeders in every conference to ensure the top teams rack up wins every year.

They don't need to pay $75MM a year to the bottom feeders. Where is Rutgers going to go? It would be independent if it wasn't in the Big 10.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
K-State fans breathe a sigh of relief. I get it, and Cal definitely got tossed under the bus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
K-State fans breathe a sigh of relief. I get it, and Cal definitely got tossed under the bus.
I wouldn't worry too much about Cal (or Stanford).

There is a large population base, many with quite a bit of affluence from San Jose to the Bay Area. My guess is the BIG planned from the start to add the two of them as well. It just may take a few years before the announcement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about Cal (or Stanford).

There is a large population base, many with quite a bit of affluence from San Jose to the Bay Area. My guess is the BIG planned from the start to add the two of them as well. It just may take a few years before the announcement.
I know, I used to live there. Worked right next to Sanford campus for a time. But neither fanbase is active. They don't care about sports very much, except when playing each other. I think the B1G would take Oregon and Washington first.

Meanwhile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know, I used to live there. Worked right next to Sanford campus for a time. But neither fanbase is active. They don't care about sports very much, except when playing each other. I think the B1G would take Oregon and Washington first.

Meanwhile.

Maybe the best thing that could happen today is for the Regents to block the move.

I'd love to see the state of California facing down the barrel of a lawsuit from FOX, ESPN & the B1G.

I don't think all hell breaking loose on the west coast helps UConn but it would be a helluva lot of fun to watch

Reaction Score

The B1G-ACC Challenge bites the dust after this year. ESPN will start an ACC-SEC Challenge next year, while also dropping the SEC-Big 12 Challenge.

I wonder if the B1G will partner with the Big 12 to start up a Challenge on FOX?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

The B1G-ACC Challenge bites the dust after this year.

I wonder if the B1G will partner with the Big 12 to start up a Challenge on FOX?
This at least makes the Gavitt games renewal a little more likely.

Reaction Score
i hope not. we're already losing the gavitt games after this season for some reason. if the big10 and big12 start up a new challenge we'll probably lose the big12 challenge after 24-25 too.

Reaction Score
If a B1G/Big 12 Challenge started next year, each conference would have 14 schools for one year only. Then the B1G goes up to 16 and the Big 12 down to 12 the following year.

Going to 16 schools, the B1G may not want to enter another Challenge. Not having one makes it easier to to increase the number of conference games from 20 to 22 if the conference decides playing each other more frequently is more important.

Reaction Score
If a B1G/Big 12 Challenge started next year, each conference would have 14 schools for one year only. Then the B1G goes up to 16 and the Big 12 down to 12 the following year.

Going to 16 schools, the B1G may not want to enter another Challenge. Not having one makes it easier to to increase the number of conference games from 20 to 22 if the conference decides playing each other more frequently is more important.
The B1G/(Big 12 + Big East) Challenge. Bring in the east coast and overlapping footprint makes for Big Fun. Take the top teams from Big 12 and Big East because who will really want to play UCF anyway.

Reaction Score
Big 12 might add Gonzaga. That would give it 13 BB schools.

If a B1G (16) vs. Big 12 (13) vs. Big East (11) Challenge were created, that would be 40 teams for 20 total games.

Reaction Score

Amazon gets Pac-12 rights​

ESPN will be prepared to split the Pac-12’s media rights with Amazon, but will not offer the conference significantly more than it pays for the Big 12. That will lead the Pac-12 to sell almost its entire media package to Amazon for a price that is slightly higher than what the Big 12 gets from ESPN and Fox. The Pac-12 will carve out a handful of prime-time football games that it then will sell to CBS.

Reaction Score

Amazon gets Pac-12 rights​

ESPN will be prepared to split the Pac-12’s media rights with Amazon, but will not offer the conference significantly more than it pays for the Big 12. That will lead the Pac-12 to sell almost its entire media package to Amazon for a price that is slightly higher than what the Big 12 gets from ESPN and Fox. The Pac-12 will carve out a handful of prime-time football games that it then will sell to CBS.

I don't put much stock in this. He is guessing what he thinks will happen. It isn't fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom