OT: - Realignment? | Page 38 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Maybe, without UCONN in the Final..it is not as sexy...Villanova-Creighton that is.

Reaction Score
There is only one school that was in the Big East in 2002 that ended up worse off from realignment: UConn. Even when you throw in the new schools from the 2003 expansion: Depaul, Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida, only South Florida and UConn ended up worse off, and UConn is still in a major basketball conference. The lawsuit was a big success, we just came up one spot short on the life boat.

There was no excuse for losing to Louisville in 2011. That had little if anything to do with the lawsuit, and should never have happened.

And for what it is worth, Louisville had screwed over Virginia Tech really badly in 1993, almost banishing the Hokies athletic program to permanent irrelevancy. Virginia Tech actually sued Louisville at the time, yet Louisville still got invited to the ACC over us.
True, there was no excuse for losing out to L'ville in 2011. None. The two institutions don't compare. At the time, I thought the lawsuit made sense because of the commitment UCONN made to the Big East. I don't see how you can believe the lawsuit had nothing to do with being snubbed.

Reaction Score
True the local fans put 19,000 into MSG to watch the BE tournament....

But...the glitch is TV viewership...the BE Final was watched by less than 50% of the numbers put up by the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and Big 12
Actually nobody considers the New Big East a P6 except it’s fans, a few aging New York sportswriters and the Fox broadcast crew.

As far as tv viewership for the championship game, it was half of the majors, except the PAC, but also lower than the AAC, the Mountain West and about equal to the A10. Lower share higher numbers

Reaction Score
Actually nobody considers the New Big East a P6 except it’s fans, a few aging New York sportswriters and the Fox broadcast crew.

As far as tv viewership for the championship game, it was half of the majors, except the PAC, but also lower than the AAC, the Mountain West and about equal to the A10. Lower share higher numbers
Where did you get that information…I couldn’t find it

Reaction Score
BCU was a solid "no" against us, but it shouldn't have mattered. We had the votes to get in the ACC even without BC.

Louisville had done so much worse to Virginia Tech, it was a dirty program, a joke of a school and it was the second program in a poor small state. We shouldn't have lost to them. Warde blew it.
Cool story, bro

Reaction Score
It's wild the tales people are spinning to themselves on this topic, still, on this board, still, 20 years later.

Will probably be the same people doing so 20 years from now.

Reaction Score
True the local fans put 19,000 into MSG to watch the BE tournament....

But...the glitch is TV viewership...the BE Final was watched by less than 50% of the numbers put up b
Where did you get that information…I couldn’t find it
Sports media Watch has the data. I’m sorry I can’t get the link to work. But this has been pretty consistent. New Big East simply doesn’t bring eyeballs like the B10, ACC or Big 12. And most years it is also behind the AAC and a couple of mid-majors. Whether it’s the time slot, the platform or the teams, it doesn’t really matter. It isn’t a huge product.

Reaction Score
At least when Butch rambled his thoughts have some logic behind them

Reaction Score
Nah...it was football...

Louisville had been putting one third more in the stands than UCONN.

The Cardinals won 9 games in 2011 and 11 games in 2012 while the Huskies had losing seasons for the last six seasons through 2012.

Louisville had a rep for selling their allotted bowl tickets while the Fiesta tcket rap was sticking to UCONN

As Swofford once said..."It's football, stupid". 80% of media contract value.

Louisville looked to be the better program to shore up ACC football. There was little call to shore up ACC basketball with Duke and UNC winning NC's in the two prior years.

Reaction Score
Nah...it was football...

Louisville had been putting one third more in the stands than UCONN.

The Cardinals won 9 games in 2011 and 11 games in 2012 while the Huskies had losing seasons for the last six seasons through 2012.

Louisville had a rep for selling their allotted bowl tickets while the Fiesta tcket rap was sticking to UCONN

As Swofford once said..."It's football, stupid". 80% of media contract value.

Louisville looked to be the better program to shore up ACC football. There was little call to shore up ACC basketball with Duke and UNC winning NC's in the two prior years.
You are wrong about the football records between 2007 and 2012. Louisville won 7 games in 2011, not 9 and UConn had 4 straight winning seasons before the PP debacle in 2011 and 2012 and 2 Big East championships. Here are the facts:

2007: UConn 9-4, Louisville 6-6
2008: UConn 8-5, Louisville 5-7
2009: UConn 8-5, Louisville 4-8
2010: UConn 8-5, Lousivlle 7-6
2011: UConn 5-7, Lousivlle 7-6
2012: UConn 5-7, Louisvlle 11-2

I do agree that the perception of Lousivlle football was greater than UConn's at the time and it hurt UConn that BC and Miami were firm nos to UConn and Clemson and FSU wanted Louisville.

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t have six losing seasons. They had recently Been to a BCS Bowl and had been to 2 bowls prior to that. And beat Louisville the week before the final decision was made.

It was a total failure by the UConn Administration to take Louisville seriously. Jurich and Pitino were making the talk show circuit talking up UL while Warde was basking in the Bahamas. And monitoring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sports media Watch has the data. I’m sorry I can’t get the link to work. But this has been pretty consistent. New Big East simply doesn’t bring eyeballs like the B10, ACC or Big 12. And most years it is also behind the AAC and a couple of mid-majors. Whether it’s the time slot, the platform or the teams, it doesn’t really matter. It isn’t a huge product.
Games broadcast on FS1 and FS2 are going to have spoiler audiences then games broadcast on ESPN, or CBS. I do think that the game‘s broadcast that Fox do well. And certainly the games are on FS1 and FS2 have larger audiences than games broadcast on ESPN plus.

Reaction Score
When it comes to media contracts and sports survival as an athletic conference, the academic aspect took second place. The ACC knew they had to fight to survive. They needed to shore up football or become known as a basketball league (with which the Tobaccco Road crew seemed comfortable)...The conference did get the last chair in the Autonomous 5 separation.

That Prez could have been FSU's Barron. When there was a booster push in 2012 for FSU to join the Big 12, President Barron emailed all boosters that he and he and the faculty thought that the Big 12 was "a league that was academically weaker". Swofford and the ESPN rep came to Tallahassee in 2012 to talk to the Trustees. On a one to one basis to skirt Florida's public meeting record law. FSU had been holding out...FSU was the lone GOR holdout.

And the Academic profile is still good...UCONN would be #11 in the ACC in USNWR rankings even with Louisville in the drag position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Games broadcast on FS1 and FS2 are going to have spoiler audiences then games broadcast on ESPN, or CBS. I do think that the game‘s broadcast that Fox do well. And certainly the games are on FS1 and FS2 have larger audiences than games broadcast on ESPN plus.
All of that may be true, but this was the Conference Championship game and it had more in person viewers than it had tv viewers. (Before all the NOOBIE fan boys get their panties in a bunch, it is a figure of speech, not a fact). It wasn’t on FS1 or FS2. It was on Fox. And it got absolutely crushed by 4 of the P5 and beaten by the weakest one. It drew weaker ratings than the AAC which everyone here loves to denigrate. It was essentially a push with the A10, which NOOB fans consider well beneath this league.

But as to the league doing well on Fox, it typically loses its time slot when it go head to head with P5s on other networks. Some of the FS1/2 games draw fewer viewers that the East Hartford Planning & Zoning Commission on local access. (Again NOOBs, figure of speech. Neilson doesn’t provide data on EH P&Z).

There is a reason that Fox and the NOOB leadership added UConn and is considering how to make Gonzaga the round peg in a square hole. And it is that this league isn’t in any way must see tv.

CL82

Reaction Score
All of that may be true, but this was the Conference Championship game and it had more in person viewers than it had tv viewers. (Before all the NOOBIE fan boys get their panties in a bunch, it is a figure of speech, not a fact). It wasn’t on FS1 or FS2. It was on Fox. And it got absolutely crushed by 4 of the P5 and beaten by the weakest one. It drew weaker ratings than the AAC which everyone here loves to denigrate. It was essentially a push with the A10, which NOOB fans consider well beneath this league.

But as to the league doing well on Fox, it typically loses its time slot when it go head to head with P5s on other networks. Some of the FS1/2 games draw fewer viewers that the East Hartford Planning & Zoning Commission on local access. (Again NOOBs, figure of speech. Neilson doesn’t provide data on EH P&Z).

There is a reason that Fox and the NOOB leadership added UConn and is considering how to make Gonzaga the round peg in a square hole. And it is that this league isn’t in any way must see tv.
Do you have a link for any of that?

Oh, and by the way fetch still isn’t happening.

Reaction Score
Do you have a link for any of that?

Oh, and by the way fetch still isn’t happening.
The link for the championship games was previously posted. The results are pretty clear. Big 10 numbers were way down this year and it still was 3 times the NOOBIE, which was way up. The weekly data is available during the season on the Neilson website. I guess if your definition of doing well is having worse ratings than the Mountain West and the AAC and getting crushed by the Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and SEC, then you are right.

Now I agree that the network is a part of the problem. When people think college hoops, or any hoops for that matter, Fox isn’t the first place they go. But really, worse rating than the Mountain West? Fewer viewers than the A10?

I get it. UConn fans have this nostalgia for the real Big East. And they love to pretend that Creighton and Butler and a Patriot League level Georgetown are the same as playing the Hoya Paranoia Teams under John Thompson, or Syracuse or Dixon’s Pitt teams. When that league championship was CBS’s lead-in to the Selection show, or ESPN’s Prime time game on Saturday night. It’s not. The fans know it and the networks know it.

CL82

Reaction Score
The link for the championship games was previously posted. The results are pretty clear. Big 10 numbers were way down this year and it still was 3 times the NOOBIE, which was way up. The weekly data is available during the season on the Neilson website. I guess if your definition of doing well is having worse ratings than the Mountain West and the AAC and getting crushed by the Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and SEC, then you are right.

Now I agree that the network is a part of the problem. When people think college hoops, or any hoops for that matter, Fox isn’t the first place they go. But really, worse rating than the Mountain West? Fewer viewers than the A10?

I get it. UConn fans have this nostalgia for the real Big East. And they love to pretend that Creighton and Butler and a Patriot League level Georgetown are the same as playing the Hoya Paranoia Teams under John Thompson, or Syracuse or Dixon’s Pitt teams. When that league championship was CBS’s lead-in to the Selection show, or ESPN’s Prime time game on Saturday night. It’s not. The fans know it and the networks know it.
Yeah, I’m too lazy to go hunting for data to back up your claims, but if you post it I’ll look at it. Up to you. Scooter, I don’t mind your act all that much, but you don’t have the greatest reputation for accuracy.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
You are wrong about the football records between 2007 and 2012. Louisville won 7 games in 2011, not 9 and UConn had 4 straight winning seasons before the PP debacle in 2011 and 2012 and 2 Big East championships. Here are the facts:

2007: UConn 9-4, Louisville 6-6
2008: UConn 8-5, Louisville 5-7
2009: UConn 8-5, Louisville 4-8
2010: UConn 8-5, Lousivlle 7-6
2011: UConn 5-7, Lousivlle 7-6
2012: UConn 5-7, Louisvlle 11-2

I do agree that the perception of Lousivlle football was greater than UConn's at the time and it hurt UConn that BC and Miami were firm nos to UConn and Clemson and FSU wanted Louisville.

You are right and I was off...I was looking at UConn's conference record...the losing record years...were 2011, 2012...

Reaction Score
The point is with fans that like us in the big east is it’s not about the money..sure we want the conference to do well financially but it’s about the excitement about playing teams with having history with…are games are sell outs the msg was rocking at the big east tournament the big east is helping us in recruiting top players…sure bc is making they’re money… but they a dumpster fire on the court… so sure I would like more eyeballs watching us on tv but….

Reaction Score
The point is with fans that like us in the big east is it’s not about the money..sure we want the conference to do well financially but it’s about the excitement about playing teams with having history with…are games are sell outs the msg was rocking at the big east tournament the big east is helping us in recruiting top players…sure bc is making they’re money… but they a dumpster fire on the court… so sure I would like more eyeballs watching us on tv but….

Beachview...are you sure that you aren't a son of the deep south...your use of "are games" could be right out if Satsuma, Alabama. I read it phonetically and didn't even notice for a minute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom