OT: - Realignment? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The best thing about joining the big East was putting that board in my rear view mirror.
We still are on the outside looking in on P5 media rights revenue. Sure the Big East sucks less than the American but we should be scrambling to explore whether there is an opportunity here. Quietly, of course. I’m not sure we are positioned to do so with a interim President.

Minimally AD Dave should be thinking about scheduling opportunities for football.

Reaction Score
Can we just rename the conferences while we’re at. Oklahoma and Texas are certainly not in the Southeast part of the country

Reaction Score
I think the B12 would have to add 4 teams to stay alive, and if I had to guess the mutually beneficial candidates are:
1. UCF
2. Houston
3. BYU
4. Cincy
5. Boise
6. Memphis

Maybe get crazy and go to 16 with SMU and Tulsa. I’m just here for madness.

Reaction Score
If this goes through for the SEC does everyone start looking to expand again? I would assume no leave will stand pat except the big 10. I don’t know why but I feel like we aren’t going anywhere again.

Reaction Score
If this goes through for the SEC does everyone start looking to expand again? I would assume no leave will stand pat except the big 10. I don’t know why but I feel like we aren’t going anywhere again.
Only things I could see is if ACC wanted WVU and ND wasn't a willing partner or if B10 wanted to become the best basketball conference and added Kansas and UConn - but that of course is a football-centric conference and they'd be adding two bad programs.

Reaction Score
Realistically only the ACC would make sense and that’s not going to happen. I think in a scenario where Kansas and UConn were options for the ACC they’d pick Kansas. Big 12 would be cool..if we didn’t have a buyout. The buy out would pretty much equal to what extra UConn would earn through the new B12 tv contract. I mean we are what we are. No shame being a big East team at all. I’d rather be in a position where the worst outcome is being in a power basketball conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Realistically only the ACC would make sense and that’s not going to happen. I think in a scenario where Kansas and UConn were options for the ACC they’d pick Kansas. Big 12 would be cool..if we didn’t have a buyout. The buy out would pretty much equal to what extra UConn would earn through the new B12 tv contract. I mean we are what we are. No shame being a big East team at all. I’d rather be in a position where the worst outcome is being in a power basketball conference.

“The Big 12 would be cool.”

Are you deranged? We just got out of a muddle of a conference and now you want to go back to a conference where our nearest road game would be in Manhattan, Kansas? And what do you think is going to happen to the Big 12 television contract after Texas and Oklahoma leave?

We’re not going anywhere.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Are you deranged? We just got out of a muddle of a conference and now you want to go back to a conference where our nearest road game would be in Manhattan, Kansas? And what do you think is going to happen to the Big 12 television contract after Texas and Oklahoma leave?

We should be recruiting WVU & KU to the Big East, Navy to go independent, and all 3 to join a football scheduling alliance.

Reaction Score
I will laugh if this goes through and somehow inconveniences the AAC

I honestly really like the big 12 and I think it geographically makes a lot of sense (besides WVU) so I can’t quite understand why Texas and OU would want to leave.
It is the big bank theory. The Big 12 being a regional conference doesn’t matter to the cartel

Reaction Score

I don't understand how any UConn fans don't know how this works. If 1 other school leaves the Big XII after this, that conference is dead and 3-4 schools are going to be left holding the bag.

The AAC fans are somehow even more deluded. None of them are getting picked up even if the PAC, B1G or ACC do decide to expand.

Thank God we got out when we did.

Reaction Score
I think the B12 would have to add 4 teams to stay alive, and if I had to guess the mutually beneficial candidates are:
1. UCF
2. Houston
3. BYU
4. Cincy
5. Boise
6. Memphis

Maybe get crazy and go to 16 with SMU and Tulsa. I’m just here for madness.
Houston-BYU-Cincy are the only schools that make real strategic sense.

Reaction Score
Houston-BYU-Cincy are the only schools that make real strategic sense.
I don't think its fair to call UCF a sleeping giant (but I guess they still are) since they had some great success over the past decade - but if the Big 12 can keep its P5 status and UCF joins I can't imagine what they would be able to do. They made 3 BCS/NY6 bowls since the last round of realignment and a zombie B12 would be great for them with the brand recognition, step-up in competition, but no schools that are clearly better than UCF. UCF can be a consistent top 15-20 team with the B12 remnants + BYU, Cincy and Houston.

Reaction Score
So glad to be out of the AAC. They’re about to really become CUSA 2.0 now.

Reaction Score
So glad to be out of the AAC. They’re about to really become CUSA 2.0 now.
That's being generous. The new Big XII will be better than the AAC and the AAC will be like the MAC

MJ1

Reaction Score
Their will be no new Big12 as the Pac 12 will go to 16 and the Big 10 will go to 16 to follow suit and we will have 4 -16 team conference’s for football. Some Big 12 teams will go to PAC 12 or ACC. Others will be out in the cold . Notre Dame will be interesting as a go to ACC full time or stay independent. Should be interesting. The end game is a Power 4- 16 teams for football with Big 12 out. Without Texas and Oklahoma the networks will not pay that conference to add weaker teams.

Reaction Score
Their will be no new Big12 as the Pac 12 will go to 16 and the Big 10 will go to 16 to follow suit and we will have 4 -16 team conference’s for football. Some Big 12 teams will go to PAC 12 or ACC. Others will be out in the cold . Notre Dame will be interesting as a go to ACC full time or stay independent. Should be interesting. The end game is a Power 4- 16 teams for football with Big 12 out. Without Texas and Oklahoma the networks will not pay that conference to add weaker teams.
Yeah every scenario leads to a power 4 with 16 teams each- that’s 64 teams- exactly the number already in the P5. Just need some rearranging.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would think the NBig 12 would love to have a presence in Florida (UCF).
Nobody cares about UCF. They are a nobody, the fourth best football school in Florida.

If a kid from Florida is good enough to play in the B12 but a Florida presence matters, they'll go to one of those three other Florida schools or they'll just go to a big 12 school.

Reaction Score
Yeah every scenario leads to a power 4 with 16 teams each- that’s 64 teams- exactly the number already in the P5. Just need some rearranging.
I don't think that's true at all.

Reaction Score
I don't think its fair to call UCF a sleeping giant (but I guess they still are) since they had some great success over the past decade - but if the Big 12 can keep its P5 status and UCF joins I can't imagine what they would be able to do. They made 3 BCS/NY6 bowls since the last round of realignment and a zombie B12 would be great for them with the brand recognition, step-up in competition, but no schools that are clearly better than UCF. UCF can be a consistent top 15-20 team with the B12 remnants + BYU, Cincy and Houston.
Nobody cares to watch them and they don't add much as an institution. BYU is a nightmare to work with, but if you can do it they're something. Cincy and Houston would be the two logical additions based on location and all around programs.

Reaction Score
Question is can Pac 12 absorb the new teams with their academic standards? Someone is getting left out for sure, but it’s still possible Big 12 remains with something like this:

Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma State + Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Memphis, BYU, Boise State, Houston, SMU.

Very curious to see how it all shakes out, tons of moving pieces and teams will be looking to pounce on any opportunity they get. That Big 12 conference would be really solid if that’s how it ends up working out, but again, not sure it actually does go that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom