OT: - Realignment? | Page 60 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
From that article:

More recently, Yormark has advocated for Gonzaga joining as a basketball-only member. Even though the financial gain for the Big 12 would be minimal by adding the Zags, Yormark sees a future increase in college basketball rights as streaming giants get more involved in sports.

Reaction Score
From that article:

More recently, Yormark has advocated for Gonzaga joining as a basketball-only member. Even though the financial gain for the Big 12 would be minimal by adding the Zags, Yormark sees a future increase in college basketball rights as streaming giants get more involved in sports.
I hope gonzaga goes in the big 12.. because I don’t want them in the big east

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I could see a future where The B1G tries to go right down the East Coast adding by UVA, UNC, GT, & FSU. This gives them three AAU Schools to make the academics happy and allows the conference to plant a flag in a huge talent rich state with a program that can provide valuable content for media partners.

This is nearly a certainty.

Reaction Score
SMU seems like such an odd fit. Why not take Rice, Tulane & Tulsa while they're at it.
Odd for both conference and school. At best, SMU's unlikely to be even top 10 in the DFW metroplex's supported programs, i.e., compared with UT, A&M, TTech, OU, OSU, LSU, Arkansas, and other massively bigger public universities with much larger alumni followings and non-alumni fan bases in DFW. Think BCU in Boston.

For the Newbie PAC #, media decision makers likely picked SMU as the least worst available as a 12th school. As marginal as SMU's success has been in recent decades, some possible considerations: PAC wants a a Texas recruiting spot, rapidly growing, increasingly wealthy DFW likely has large #s of PAC school alumni/fans, ridiculously affluent SMU alumni and a few decades+ of rapidly increasing California/western US student recruiting, and direct DFW flights for all but OU, OSU, and Wazzu. Repeat, media decision makers most likely picked SMU.

Challenging to think of much else to sort of rationalize Newbie PAC and SMU.

Reaction Score
Take it FWIW:

Hearing the Big 12 plus part of Big East + GU & UConn 2024/25​

Today, 11:29 AM

I’m hearing that at least 4 Big East schools plus GU and UConn will join the Big 12 for basketball. This would be a super conference that Fox/ESPN are putting together to try and take out Amazon.

Hearing that at least some announcements will be made right after the Final Four.

Big East schools will join in 2025 with Zags and UConn in 2024.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the goal is to take out Amazon this will ultimately fall into the long, undistinguished list of business decisions that failed miserably primarily due to the fact that the decision was made for the wrong reasons. This doesn't mean that this likely isn't real, as too many view chest pounding, superiority enforcing decisions as a good idea regardless of other factors.

I do wonder about the wording "Big East + GU & UConn". Where do they believe UConn is at the moment?

I can see some form of scheduling agreement being brokered but I'm not sure if an overly populated, hybrid conference makes any sense,

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Take it FWIW:

Hearing the Big 12 plus part of Big East + GU & UConn 2024/25​

Today, 11:29 AM

I’m hearing that at least 4 Big East schools plus GU and UConn will join the Big 12 for basketball. This would be a super conference that Fox/ESPN are putting together to try and take out Amazon.

Hearing that at least some announcements will be made right after the Final Four.

Big East schools will join in 2025 with Zags and UConn in 2024.

The “source” is some guy who said Kansas was going to the Big East.

Reaction Score
The “source” is some guy who said Kansas was going to the Big East.
1) The tweet about this that was posted in the non-key tweets thread seems to be a TCU fan, The Big 12 Everyday News Spot@HornyMcFrog,
(has frog in his name).

2) The post was made by a Gonzaga fan who said that his info "came out of Kansas".

3) On Flugaur's show on Thursday night, his guest, Ryan Martin, said that he was hearing rumors that there have been talks with UConn and St. John's, and that Yormark wanted to do a basketball media deal. Starts at 46:00:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After OK and Texas go to SEC...11 of the 14 teams that have won a national championship in the last 30 years will be in the SEC or the Big Ten. The only exceptions...Clemson, Miami, FSU.

The Big 12, ACC, and Pac will be the "Middle Three" after the P2 and before the G5.

With ESPN loading up their prime spots with SEC matches, and FOX, CBS, and NBC scheduling their prime slots for the B1G and Notre Dame....visibility may become an issue. And will affect recruiting.

No matter the money, program access to national visibility is golden.

Reaction Score
After OK and Texas go to SEC...11 of the 14 teams that have won a national championship in the last 30 years will be in the SEC or the Big Ten. The only exceptions...Clemson, Miami, FSU.

The Big 12, ACC, and Pac will be the "Middle Three" after the P2 and before the G5.

With ESPN loading up their prime spots with SEC matches, and FOX, CBS, and NBC scheduling their prime slots for the B1G and Notre Dame....visibility may become an issue. And will affect recruiting.

No matter the money, program access to national visibility is golden.

Male no mistake there is a P5 not a P2, the checks prove that as fact.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what timeline that you're living in, but in this one there is a P2 and everybody else. Eventually a handful of schools like UNC, FSU, Clemson, and ND will be brought into The P2 and that gulf will widen even more. Do I believe that this is good for college sports? Not really. What I grew up enjoying was very different; however, it is difficult to argue that this is where we currently are, and where things will continue to be headed.

Reaction Score

Really ?....with the Big Ten paying out $100 million per school starting in 2025...and the ACC at $36 million...there seems a vey clear anticline...(you know...warm water rises and cold water sinks...and there is a clear stratification between the waters...known as the anticline).

Big Ten payout...

Per the Action Network, Big Ten schools will receive the same distribution in 2023-24 as it will this year, roughly $60 million per school. The payout will increase slightly in the second year of the deal before it jumps to roughly $100 million per school, annually, starting in 2025. That's based purely on the media deal and does not include revenue from making the College Football Playoff, bowl games or NCAA Tournament.

If your point is that the coldest of cold waters are some of the G5...well, no argument....but there is definitely a P2...

Reaction Score
Really ?....with the Big Ten paying out $100 million per school starting in 2025...and the ACC at $36 million...there seems a vey clear anticline...(you know...warm water rises and cold water sinks...and there is a clear stratification between the waters...known as the anticline).

Big Ten payout...

Per the Action Network, Big Ten schools will receive the same distribution in 2023-24 as it will this year, roughly $60 million per school. The payout will increase slightly in the second year of the deal before it jumps to roughly $100 million per school, annually, starting in 2025. That's based purely on the media deal and does not include revenue from making the College Football Playoff, bowl games or NCAA Tournament.

If your point is that the coldest of cold waters are some of the G5...well, no argument....but there is definitely a P2...

Yes really. There is still a Power 5. If you're outside of it you say P2 but I guarantee that of you're inside of it you're enjoying your school having the resources to compete at an elite level.

Reaction Score
Tulsa - $10 million media rights payout
Florida State - $37 million media rights payout
Rutgers - $100 million media rights payout

Florida State will be closer to Tulsa (+27 million) in its media rights payout than it is to Rutgers (-63 million) once USC/UCLA are on board. Maybe these figures change slightly if the ACC goes to an unequal revenue model, but I don’t think FSU can be closer to Rutgers than Tulsa even after accounting for that. From a strictly media rights only standpoint.

Reaction Score
Yes really. There is still a Power 5. If you're outside of it you say P2 but I guarantee that of you're inside of it you're enjoying your school having the resources to compete at an elite level.
P2 = Destination Conferences. Everyone else is looking to move up regardless of $$. That's Power.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom