OT: - Realignment? | Page 61 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
P2 = Destination Conferences. Everyone else is looking to move up regardless of $$. That's Power.

I still say Power 5. That's like saying someone worth 650 million dollars is poor because someone else is worth a billion dollars. There has always been a huge financial gap but if you have 50 or 60 million dollars to invest in yourself you can still compete at an elite level.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still say Power 5. That's like saying someone worth 650 million dollars is poor because someone else is worth a billion dollars. There has always been a huge financial gap but if you have 50 or 60 million dollars to invest in yourself you can still compete at an elite level.
Well, not everyone does, or will have $60 million. Independent of that, though, elite facilities, and the cost for top level coaching will be set by the P2, so the amount of money that they’re making versus the amount of money that everyone else is making is entirely relevant and determinative.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how you keep score, but if dollars are like points, then three conferences are getting taken to the woodshed in the college athletics game. There's no moral victories and you'd better believe those three conferences are at a considerable disadvantage to the P2. Let's not even get into conferences like the Big East.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I got to call in. I don’t think he has a ton or any sources, but it’s an interesting listen, and you can get on the show.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Tulsa - $10 million media rights payout
Florida State - $37 million media rights payout
Rutgers - $100 million media rights payout

Florida State will be closer to Tulsa (+27 million) in its media rights payout than it is to Rutgers (-63 million) once USC/UCLA are on board. Maybe these figures change slightly if the ACC goes to an unequal revenue model, but I don’t think FSU can be closer to Rutgers than Tulsa even after accounting for that. From a strictly media rights only standpoint.
That is absolutely mind boggling. Just think about this in terms of athletic success and how it has equaled from financial payout. FSU has been near the top of the ACC for awhile. While it's been awhile, it has history as a football power house. Yet it's getting destroyed financially by a school that has had zero athletic success. Heck, we've had more football success than Rutgers and we've been playing D1 football for a heck of a lot less time.

Just insane how Rutgers hit the jackpot and can continue to stink while bathing in money

Reaction Score
That is absolutely mind boggling. Just think about this in terms of athletic success and how it has equaled from financial payout. FSU has been near the top of the ACC for awhile. While it's been awhile, it has history as a football power house. Yet it's getting destroyed financially by a school that has had zero athletic success. Heck, we've had more football success than Rutgers and we've been playing D1 football for a heck of a lot less time.

Just insane how Rutgers hit the jackpot and can continue to stink while bathing in money
In this video, the FSU AD talks about the $30 million difference between the ACC and the Big10 that is coming and says "for us to be able to survive that just can't happen."

Reaction Score
FSU can, for the time being, remain competitive...

With a 21-22 sports revenue of $161 million vs Purdue's $109 million.

But it is the SEC that is FSU's backyard neighbors...and they are the comparison..LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida...

LSU..$199 million...Georgia $209 million..etc.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

But it is the SEC that is FSU's backyard neighbors...and they are the comparison..LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida...

If you are trying to say that Purdue matters in this, you are already so far behind. It’s going to get very expensive to play big time football and basketball very soon and FSU needs to pay to be relevant. Michigan, PSU, OSU and ND have one big built in advantage in that there is no one else in the area that can play the game those 4 can. FSU has to contend with Florida, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and now Texas/Oklahoma for attention. They have to stand out even more. They need the cash to do so.

Football wise, UConn only has to contend with Rutgers to be relevant in the NE. BC and ‘Cues ship has already sailed. With Rutgers being Rutgers, if UConn can compete at a high level, they can make some noise. You have to pay to keep your coaches and start spending on players as well.

Reaction Score

Realistically, FSU will not be able to compete very well when their media contract is $60 to $70 million lower than their regional rivals. And, it's hard for FSU to sell out their football stadium when they are hosting BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke,... The problem is not FSU and their potential, the problem is they are in the ACC. I'm not saying that FSU won't be able to win games against P2 schools, but it will be harder than it should be for them.

Reaction Score
And....

FSU, this week, signed their coach to an extension paying $8.05 million per year...through 1929. Big boy numbers.

We'll have to see...FSU beat LSU (the SEC West Champ) last season and open with them in September...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And....

FSU, this week, signed their coach to an extension paying $8.05 million per year...through 1929. Big boy numbers.

We'll have to see...FSU beat LSU (the SEC West Champ) last season and open with them in September...
In the plus side: if they only need to pay him until 1929 they have nothing to be worried about.

Reaction Score
In the plus side: if they only need to pay him until 1929 they have nothing to be worried about.

Six year extensions are the next thing to lifetime...Georgia's coach, after winning back to back NC's...just signed through 2031.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Six year extensions are the next thing to lifetime...Georgia's coach, after winning back to back NC's...just signed through 2031.
Christopher Reeve Reaction GIF

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Outside of Notre Dame, the highest ranked school in the Sports Illustrated desirability rankings that is not in or going to the B1G or SEC is Washington. Oregon is further down the list.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I don't see the B1G going to 18 and NOT having ND being one of those teams. UW and Oregon will be interesting cases should the 4 corner schools actually go to the Big 12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom