OT: - Realignment? | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I also think if Clemson and whoever announce they are leaving at the end of the GOR, it does significant damage to the league. It then becomes in everyone’s interest to pull the bandaid off and get on with life however you can do it. Members who have no interest in the continued success of the undertaking are a hindrance to that in so many ways. From being The story every single week when they play to actually taking actions that undermine the league, to even winning titles. At some point it becomes worth it to make a deal to get rid of the problems.

Why is it in Wake Forest's interest to end the ACC?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This video has some of the best data analysis on B10 realignment options out there. He analyzes the PAC 12 colleges which may be asked to join B10. Wish he could be hired to build a data case for UConn into ACC. His ID is D1 360.

The goal should be to figure out what it is we need to do to become a legitimate option for the Big Ten and then set a plan in motion to get there.

I don't know if this will land us there but personally I'd rather get beaten knowing I gave it my best shot than by putting in a half hearted effort, basically taking ourselves out of consideration and then whining about how we got screwed.

Reaction Score
It would be admirable for the ACC to stick together. Add UCONN, Temple, WVU, Cincy, USF and maybe add an Okie State, Kansas, Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor all of the above. It would still be an incredible conference. Not that far from the uber deuce. Outright own the East Coast. Clemson and FSU have great chances of winning the conference.

OK, laugh.

Texas to the SEC is going to make Texas win more. SU to the current ACC improved SU's programs despite being pluto. USC to the B1G is great for student athletes and its chances of winning. :rolleyes: Lots of benefits for Clemson and FSU to stay with the ACC.

Of course, maybe the goal of the uber conferences is to become so large that they each have 4 divisions with 4 champions. That's a different story. But by expanding and sticking together, the ACC could perhaps renegotiate its financial terms. The GOR keeps it together but it also prevents it from growing and being competitive.

Reaction Score

I believe Oregon will be leaving the Pac10, when that happens, I think you'll see the following happening: 1)The Pac10 raids the Big12 (with OK state joining)
2)A merger of the Big12 and Pac10
3)A conference decides to get 16 members and GoR be dammed (you might see a school be poached before it plays in a conference).

As I said before we are living in an interesting time...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

People have been putting Oregon in the B1G since about 5 seconds after the USC/UCLA announcement.

Saturday night at 9pm certainly is the first time it's been mentioned.

Reaction Score
Don’t know if it is true, but I’ve heard from a few people that ND is getting pushback from 2 groups. 5hese folks are old grads who are active in alumni circles but not necessarily connected so this might be just talk. Pushback is coming from Alumni who don’t like the Big 10 any more now than they did 20 years ago and who still cling to the myth of independence. And faculty who think the way all this is going, essentially creating a minor league affiliated but independent of the universities, is just a bridge too far. In the end, I think ND to the Big happens, but it won’t be a layup.
Pushback should be ignored. Again, GE and IBM were once top American cultural institutions. Call them the Notre Dame of businesses. Now they are nice companies but if you asks 20 something what the too American companies are, I guarantee not one mentions those two

For years they lived off their name and reputation without innovation or serious change. The Irish better act yesterday or they will go to that same trivia question afterthought. They can’t allow the status quo

Ask me if I really care about this.

Reaction Score
Some observations.

It's likely that Oregon and Washington end up in the Big10. Not sure how that connects to ND decision unless they are thinking of just ND and Oregon.

The ACC will eventually lose teams but the SEC is under no pressure to get that ball rolling until the Big10 comes for teams in their footprint. Their competitive and revenue positions are still going to be assured.

That means waiting for ND, then waiting on Oregon, Washington, possibly Stanford to the Big10. Aaaaand then maybe we see Big10 look into Carolina, Georgia, etc. That starts to infringe on the SEC'S territory. Would the Big10 have the same urgency to do that if they already have ND? Probably not. They can wait a few years and pay less for those teams and the GOR diminishes. But if they really want ND they do need to weaken the ACC because weakening the ACC gives them leverage with ND. Then the ACC dominoes, and ND start to fall from both directions. And I believe that sets us up for a bid to the ACC unless Mora and DB have some relationship at the Big10. But I think that ship sailed when they wasted their money on Rutgers anchoring the conference. A terrible shortsighted move.

Reaction Score
And PAC12 hoops is shot without USC/UCLA/Oregon. They needs teams to backfill there. Maybe SD State and Fresno for all sports, and Gonzaga, St. Mary's for hoops only. Not sure if Big 12 moves on PAC teams or how many from the PAC would want out. If they lose AZ AZ St and Colorado PAC is done. I don't think we're number 4 in that or any scenario for the Big12. I think people are underestimating their position.

Reaction Score
Pushback should be ignored. Again, GE and IBM were once top American cultural institutions. Call them the Notre Dame of businesses. Now they are nice companies but if you asks 20 something what the too American companies are, I guarantee not one mentions those two

For years they lived off their name and reputation without innovation or serious change. The Irish better act yesterday or they will go to that same trivia question afterthought. They can’t allow the status quo

Ask me if I really care about this.
Do you really care?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
If you notice, the AAC is also being labeled a mid-major conference. They use the term for any conference other than the P5.
But I thought they were P6!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

UNC, Virginia, and possibly Georgia Tech to the Big Ten. Is that enough to break the GOR?

For what it’s worth, I cannot see ESPN paying multiples of the price they currently pay for FSU, Miami, and Clemson, but I could see them allowing the move without penalty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don’t have to break the GOR, just negotiate your way out. I’ll say this again, does the ACC really want this to go into discovery?
Why not? The GOR is already public record. The only interesting thing would be finding out the particulars of the ESPN contract.

Reaction Score
I could see Clemson and FSU in the SEC, but Miami, not so sure. Also, hard to see FSU and Florida in the same conference, but less of a stretch.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why not? The GOR is already public record. The only interesting thing would be finding out the particulars of the ESPN contract.

Discovery is more than just the GOR and ESPN contract. It’s bringing out the dirt on each other. Each side knows what the other has. Does the ACC want that? Does ESPN want that? Do the universities want that? Who stands to lose the he most? Nobody wants this to go to discovery. It’s why if someone wants to go, they will be able to negotiate their way out. The settlement will be huge, but a lawsuit will never get to discovery. Look at the UMD/ACC lawsuit. Settled before discovery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom