Readability of posts | The Boneyard

Readability of posts

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: If you think I'm a stickler or nerd or message board weirdo and want to ignore me, please feel free to do so. If you'd like to improve the Boneyard experience for yourself and other users, however, please give the following some consideration. It is meant as a public service announcement; not a reprimand.

It occurs to me that many posters write as if they are a voice-to-text utility, transcribing their thoughts as they first play through their mind. Punctuation is often nowhere to be found, resulting in a sort of stream-of-consciousness that is very hard to decipher. Those who wish to have their thoughts understood would do well to spend a little more time on the formatting of their posts. Simply typing what one would say in a face-to-face conversation does not usually lend itself to message board communication.

Again, not trying to hassle anyone, and this is not my usual spelling/grammar/syntax nitpicking. It's just that I often need to read posts 5 or 6 times before I can figure out what the author intended. A post does not need to be a Pulitzer-worthy masterpiece, but, on the other hand, a post that is so hard to read that the reader simply moves past it might as well not have been written in the first place.

Edit: Also, the "Edit" feature is your friend!

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Disclaimer: If you think I'm a stickler or nerd or message board weirdo and want to ignore me, please feel free to do so. If you'd like to improve the Boneyard experience for yourself and other users, however, please give the following some consideration. It is meant as a public service announcement; not a reprimand.

It occurs to me that many posters write as if they are a voice-to-text utility, transcribing their thoughts as they first play through their mind. Punctuation is often nowhere to be found, resulting in a sort of stream-of-consciousness that is very hard to decipher. Those who wish to have their thoughts understood would do well to spend a little more time on the formatting of their posts. Simply typing what one would say in a face-to-face conversation does not usually lend itself to message board communication.

Again, not trying to hassle anyone, and this is not my usual spelling/grammar/syntax nitpicking. It's just that I often need to read posts 5 or 6 times before I can figure out what the author intended. A post does not need to be a Pulitzer-worthy masterpiece, but, on the other hand, a post that is so hard to read that the reader simply moves past it might as well not have been written in the first place.

I get it, but...pearls before swine?

Reaction Score
Don't care if you're a stickler or a nerd but understand I don't care all that much about my punctuation or what spelling my iMac may change to look awkward. So you can ignore me but I will always spend less time on my format as I am working a real job at the same time often being sure to format my emails to customers and fellow workers.

This is The Boneyard right? Knot sure this iz a nessessary thred two bee onest.

Reaction Score
Don't care if you're a stickler or a nerd but understand I don't care all that much about my punctuation or what spelling my iMac may change to look awkward. So you can ignore me but I will always spend less time on my format as I am working a real job at the same time often being sure to format my emails to customers and fellow workers.

mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa

Reaction Score

I knew I was going to get a lot of flack, so I'm not sweating that. I just want to repeat that my comments are simply about the ease with which a reader can glean the meaning intended by the author. I am not encouraging better writing to satisfy my OCD. My aim is to provide feedback that I hope will be helpful, based on the premise that he who posts something to a message board wants it to be understood by anyone who reads it. If you don't care if other people can understand what you write, then my comments don't apply to you.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider your posts to be difficult to understand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

TL;DR

Reaction Score
Must be something wrong with me, I easily understand all the boneyard posts, even Chief's. Maybe the reason is that I don't understand any of them, I just think I do.

Reaction Score
I've read chappy posts and cliffyspliffy posts all the time with at least 50% comprehension so the rest of you are like reading Shakespeare
I completely skip reading those posts. Gives me a headache. I think that's probably the best way to navigate the board if anyone has an issue with the way certain people post. Just impossible to police how people post with such a large pool of posters. It's a message board for fans. Not the New York Times.

Reaction Score
I knew I was going to get a lot of flack, so I'm not sweating that. I just want to repeat that my comments are simply about the ease with which a reader can glean the meaning intended by the author. I am not encouraging better writing to satisfy my OCD. My aim is to provide feedback that I hope will be helpful, based on the premise that he who posts something to a message board wants it to be understood by anyone who reads it. If you don't care if other people can understand what you write, then my comments don't apply to you.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider your posts to be difficult to understand.
Red Bull What GIF by FC Red Bull Salzburg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom