Readability of posts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Readability of posts

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: If you think I'm a stickler or nerd or message board weirdo and want to ignore me, please feel free to do so. If you'd like to improve the Boneyard experience for yourself and other users, however, please give the following some consideration. It is meant as a public service announcement; not a reprimand.

It occurs to me that many posters write as if they are a voice-to-text utility, transcribing their thoughts as they first play through their mind. Punctuation is often nowhere to be found, resulting in a sort of stream-of-consciousness that is very hard to decipher. Those who wish to have their thoughts understood would do well to spend a little more time on the formatting of their posts. Simply typing what one would say in a face-to-face conversation does not usually lend itself to message board communication.

Again, not trying to hassle anyone, and this is not my usual spelling/grammar/syntax nitpicking. It's just that I often need to read posts 5 or 6 times before I can figure out what the author intended. A post does not need to be a Pulitzer-worthy masterpiece, but, on the other hand, a post that is so hard to read that the reader simply moves past it might as well not have been written in the first place.

Edit: Also, the "Edit" feature is your friend!
Just remember there might be some posters were not raised as English speaking or who have a hearing disability.

Reaction Score
What?
Some may know who this is and how he spoke. It sure was a damn funny movie.
69A2036A-A3F5-4BA1-BBB3-60A844AA40F3.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don’t care about grammar as much as I am bothered by the length of some posts. I don’t understand how posters don’t get this is a format best utilized by a short paragraph or maybe two at most. I’d guess <10% of people who click those threads read all of the longer posts.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Couldn’t care less about grammar or punctuation. I do feel like the frequency of threads deteriorating into pissing contests has gotten worse over 20 years (jeez) of wasting time on here, but that may just be me getting older. If we’re going to do a PSA, let’s just say you all don’t need to die on every hill okay?

Now back to more important things like August’s thoughts on Arby’s.

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: If you think I'm a stickler or nerd or message board weirdo and want to ignore me, please feel free to do so. If you'd like to improve the Boneyard experience for yourself and other users, however, please give the following some consideration. It is meant as a public service announcement; not a reprimand.

It occurs to me that many posters write as if they are a voice-to-text utility, transcribing their thoughts as they first play through their mind. Punctuation is often nowhere to be found, resulting in a sort of stream-of-consciousness that is very hard to decipher. Those who wish to have their thoughts understood would do well to spend a little more time on the formatting of their posts. Simply typing what one would say in a face-to-face conversation does not usually lend itself to message board communication.

Again, not trying to hassle anyone, and this is not my usual spelling/grammar/syntax nitpicking. It's just that I often need to read posts 5 or 6 times before I can figure out what the author intended. A post does not need to be a Pulitzer-worthy masterpiece, but, on the other hand, a post that is so hard to read that the reader simply moves past it might as well not have been written in the first place.

Quite frankly…you are correct…but you may also be my high school english teacher. Try referring to yourself in 3rd person and I think the dam breaks for you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Maybe I'm goin' too far out on a limb here, but I'll bet more than 30% of the people here don't want to read a post 5 or 6 times. Candidly, I'm a "4 strikes, yer out" kinda guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No one should be allowed to post except me.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Don't care if you're a stickler or a nerd but understand I don't care all that much about my punctuation or what spelling my iMac may change to look awkward. So you can ignore me but I will always spend less time on my format as I am working a real job at the same time often being sure to format my emails to customers and fellow workers.

This is The Boneyard right? Knot sure this iz a nessessary thred two bee onest.
LMAO

Reaction Score
Here's a sentence from Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian:

"A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools."

Reaction Score
please explain "post/handle"

Did you even consider asking @Get a Job to do this?
Don't mind if I do!

"Post/handle" is used to draw the reader's attention to the username (handle) of the author of the target post. There are no set-in-stone rules for when or why one might invoke post/handle. It is sometimes used to point out hypocrisy or incongruity between the post and the handle, but it is more often used for the inverse situation: when the post's content seems to be spot-on, given the handle of the author. Earlier in this thread, @Mister P utilized post/handle to tell me to stop worrying about other people's writing and get a job, illustrating another flavor of p/h.

See also: post/avatar

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I enjoy deciphering @ClifSpliffy posts. I'm pretty sure the example above is about Ollie not being a good talent evaluator and KO wouldn't offer Wilt if he came on a visit. I think. Btw, @Get a Job, the Yard demands names. Give them up. Whose posts are pissing you off?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom