Rank those on the Wall | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rank those on the Wall

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seriously, does no one read my posts?
Um, I think the answer is pretty obvious meyers....

Reaction Score
The reason I would put DT over Stewie and Maya is what she did in the 03 and 04 seasons. She put the team on her back and literally willed her team to the Titles that UConn had no business winning. Those teams were not stacked. That's when Geno basically starting using the phrase, "we have DT and they dont." He has since used that phrase to describe other players. Also, DT's brashness and confidence was "new" back then and established the culture at UConn.

Maya may have had the best all-around game (debatable), but she couldnt "will" her team to the title in her senior year when they lost to ND in the FF, even though UConn was favored.

Its hard to evaluate Stewie on her "clutchness" just because her teams were so stacked with talent that even if she didnt have a good game, UConn won. But, just from the "eye" test, I dont think Stewie could have done what DT did if she had the same level of talent around her.

So for me, its DT #1 and then let the debate begin.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Um, I think the answer is pretty obvious meyers....
1576782850480.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you're being facetious

Thought that was obvious. It was a satirical post in response to a post where someone commented that some of those on the wall didn't belong there. Thought the best way to respond to something so foolish and uninformed was through satire.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, during the Stewart era, was definitely in the same league (talent-wise) as Duke was during 2003 and 2004. But putting that aside for now, the thing is you bolstered my point as to why I rank Diana Taurasi ahead of Breanna Stewart.

This is not about Stewart teams beating Taurasi teams. It is about who is the best player in UConn history and the reasons behind said selection.

UConn had far more talent during the Stewart years than during Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons. In fact, UConn was the most talented team (on paper) in the country during Stewart's sophomore, junior, and senior seasons. At no time during 2003 and 2004 did UConn have the consensus most talented team (on paper); that honor fell to Duke and Tennessee. Taurasi took teams with far less talent than Stewart's teams -- and less talent than Duke or Tennessee -- and still won the national titles both years. Other than her freshman season, UConn was always the favorite to win the national title and the most talented team during the Stewart years.

Having a much better supporting cast is why I rank Stewart #2, as Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons demonstrated she could do more with less, so to speak.
The problem with this type of comparison is if you put Stewie on the 2003/2004 team can you assure us that we wouldn't have won the national championship. If she was the go to option on the team, she probably would've averaged 28ppt, 10+ rebounds and 3+ blocks a game. Individually, I can see Stewie (if she can maintain health and longevity) being considered the greatest of all time, period (she has that potential). I think what makes DT so mythical is her swagger, no other Uconn player has come into the program (thus far) with that kind of swagger.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The problem with this type of comparison is if you put Stewie on the 2003/2004 team can you assure us that we wouldn't have won the national championship. If she was the go to option on the team, she probably would've averaged 28ppt, 10+ rebounds and 3+ blocks a game. Individually, I can see Stewie (if she can maintain health and longevity) being considered the greatest of all time, period (she has that potential). I think what makes DT so mythical is her swagger, no other Uconn player has come into the program (thus far) with that kind of swagger.

Swagger is fun for the fans certainly but I do not think it is an important input factor to assess our legends.

Stewie had a quiet confidence which in every way was equal imo to the confidence of DT. By confidence, I mean willing to take the game winning shot or be at your best in the toughest games.

Maybe the best objective way to quantify that is to filter out the stats for the most pressure packed games and see if some statistical features shows up that seperates our icons. Anyway, for me, there is no meaningful difference between DT, Maya and Stewie.

Reaction Score
I really believe the best uconn player ever has not matriculated yet...And who would people say is the best ever college player? Griner? Holdsclaw? Leslie? Parker? to name a few..

Reaction Score
Thought that was obvious. It was a satirical post in response to a post where someone commented that some of those on the wall didn't belong there. Thought the best way to respond to something so foolish and uninformed was through satire.
That's what I assumed, though there have occasionally been posts here on the Boneyard that I thought were a bit outrageous and off the wall that weren't, in fact, meant to be facetious.

Reaction Score
Yes, she had “a number of assists” - 648 of them.

What mattered to her was winning. I’ll take Diana and you take whoever you want. We will win and you will lose, because I have Diana and you don’t.
Diana monopolized the ball and that's what contributed to her 648 assists .... I'd take Maya every day and twice on Sunday and I guarantee you, I'd win and you'd lose .... Maya didn't monopolize the ball and very much made everyone on her teams better .... she never choked and shot 1 for 15 in a Final Four contest .... despite not having the ball anywhere near as often as Diana, Maya was ready to go from the first game of her freshman year and that definitely wasn't Diana .... Maya has won more championships including national championships, NBA titles, Olympic, etc and with a far classier manner ..... you can have your Diana .... I prefer Maya lighting up the court with her class, her smile, her talent and her confident yet self effacing manner ... Arrogance has never worked for me and reduces my opinion of those people who display it with such consistency and ferocity ....

Reaction Score
The reason I would put DT over Stewie and Maya is what she did in the 03 and 04 seasons. She put the team on her back and literally willed her team to the Titles that UConn had no business winning. Those teams were not stacked. That's when Geno basically starting using the phrase, "we have DT and they dont." He has since used that phrase to describe other players. Also, DT's brashness and confidence was "new" back then and established the culture at UConn.

Maya may have had the best all-around game (debatable), but she couldnt "will" her team to the title in her senior year when they lost to ND in the FF, even though UConn was favored.

Its hard to evaluate Stewie on her "clutchness" just because her teams were so stacked with talent that even if she didnt have a good game, UConn won. But, just from the "eye" test, I dont think Stewie could have done what DT did if she had the same level of talent around her.

I thought there were numerous times in the post season where Conlon was the person serving up "daggers" and was super clutch, often more than Diana

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, during the Stewart era, was definitely in the same league (talent-wise) as Duke was during 2003 and 2004. But putting that aside for now, the thing is you bolstered my point as to why I rank Diana Taurasi ahead of Breanna Stewart.

This is not about Stewart teams beating Taurasi teams. It is about who is the best player in UConn history and the reasons behind said selection.

UConn had far more talent during the Stewart years than during Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons. In fact, UConn was the most talented team (on paper) in the country during Stewart's sophomore, junior, and senior seasons. At no time during 2003 and 2004 did UConn have the consensus most talented team (on paper); that honor fell to Duke and Tennessee. Taurasi took teams with far less talent than Stewart's teams -- and less talent than Duke or Tennessee -- and still won the national titles both years. Other than her freshman season, UConn was always the favorite to win the national title and the most talented team during the Stewart years.

Having a much better supporting cast is why I rank Stewart #2, as Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons demonstrated she could do more with less, so to speak.

No. You are overrating Duke and Tennessee and underrating the talent of ND in the Stewart era. They weren't near the same just as the UCONN teams in the soph - sr Stewie era were supremely better than 2 year stretch of 2003-2004. Strength of opponent must be considered. Not just look at Stewie's team's talent but the opponents too. Notre Dame was awesome. Duke and Tennessee talent-wise were not vs the talent of ND team.

There is a reason why in the title game UCONN vs ND in April 2015 that it was a 6 point game with 5.5 minutes left. Nd was competing against one of the greatest teams of all time (the greatest one loss team probably in the history of wcbb). And ND hung tough for a reason. They were supremely talented too. IMO you can't put this aside. Which is part of the reason why Stewie was greater imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really believe the best uconn player ever has not matriculated yet...And who would people say is the best ever college player? Griner? Holdsclaw? Leslie? Parker? to name a few..

I never saw Leslie play in college. Or Swoopes or Cheryl Miller. But the other names you speak of-- Stewie was better. I get it that you stuck out bait and I bit so this post is the last I'll speak of it on this thread.

It's not Stewart's fault that Kim Mulkey didn't allow Griner to move out of the box- at least when needed in order to effectively help her team(s).

Reaction Score

Diana had perhaps the best single season in 2003. 2004 was more of a total team effort, she enjoyed great shooting from her teammates. Maya might have won four straight if it were not for total meltdowns by Renee Montgomery (2008) and Tiffany Hayes (2011). Diana herself had a 1 for 15 meltdown in 2001 semifinals that nobody seems to take into consideration in these comparisons - Maya scored a combined 56 points in her two season-ending losses. It is a team game, after all.

Anyone who ranks Sue ahead of Moriah as a college player is reading later professional success into college performance. That is inevitable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maya has won more championships including national championships, NBA titles, Olympic, etc
Ummm, no.
NC's - DT 3, Moore 2
Olympic GMs - DT 4, Moore 2
World Champ GMs - DT 3, Moore 2
WNBA Champ - Moore 4, DT 3
European Champ - DT 6, Moore 2

You can like Moore and think she's better than DT, but keep your arguments accurate.
Personally I think anyone who picks DT or Moore or Stewart as their #1 is justified.

Reaction Score
They are ALL #1... Even the two left off the list for some reason [both multiple AAs and highest scoring classmates in UCONN history, and both in top 5 scorers ever] :rolleyes:
Now this is ONE i caN AGREE WITH! I have what 20 children each excels and I am supposed to rank them 1 to 20. Bad poll. When they played, regardless of the opponents they were ONE then and NOW. I know fans are fickle and it's a "what did you do for me today society" at least on the UCWBB site shouldn't they remain as the were NUMBER ONE ALL.

Reaction Score
Diana monopolized the ball and that's what contributed to her 648 assists .... I'd take Maya every day and twice on Sunday and I guarantee you, I'd win and you'd lose ....Maya has won more championships including national championships, NBA titles, Olympic, etc and with a far classier manner ..... you can have your Diana .... I prefer Maya lighting up the court with her class, her smile, her talent and her confident yet self effacing manner ... Arrogance has never worked for me and reduces my opinion of those people who display it with such consistency and ferocity ....
OK you’re on! 10 O’clock Saturday at the schoolyard, and you’re going down!

As @meyers7 pointed out, you’ve just made up your own “facts” about Maya. I’ll guarantee you’re inventing your own memory of DT too, or else you never saw her play. She was no Chennedy Carter. DT was all-world, lifted her teammates to a whole new level, and they loved playing with her.

Reaction Score
Diana had perhaps the best single season in 2003. 2004 was more of a total team effort, she enjoyed great shooting from her teammates. Maya might have won four straight if it were not for total meltdowns by Renee Montgomery (2008) and Tiffany Hayes (2011). Diana herself had a 1 for 15 meltdown in 2001 semifinals that nobody seems to take into consideration in these comparisons - Maya scored a combined 56 points in her two season-ending losses. It is a team game, after all.

Anyone who ranks Sue ahead of Moriah as a college player is reading later professional success into college performance. That is inevitable.
Dianna as tough as she was mentally--she was a frosh and the hype on her just before the final game was tremendous for a kid her age. Before the game she was hyped as winning the game alone. During the game she was given 15 3 ball shots--they missed. She never missed 3 in a row--what was different? The expectations of her by fans , coaches, teammates was exceptional. Who could live up to that? The 2001 game was an anomaly. Uconn fans, at least, should give a kid a very young kid with a supreme ego credit for what she accomplished and accept the hype got to her in 2001.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree regarding 2003 and 2004.

No. You are overrating Duke and Tennessee and underrating the talent of ND in the Stewart era. T... IMO you can't put this aside. Which is part of the reason why Stewie was greater imo.

You suggested that we can "agree to disagree," which is why I commented that I was putting aside the issue for purposes of my previous post. But now the response is that I cannot put that aside, irrespective of your prior comment to "agree to disagree."

Talk about the mixed messages! LOL

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ummm, no.
NC's - DT 3, Moore 2
Olympic GMs - DT 4, Moore 2
World Champ GMs - DT 3, Moore 2
WNBA Champ - Moore 4, DT 3
European Champ - DT 6, Moore 2

You can like Moore and think she's better than DT, but keep your arguments accurate.
Personally I think anyone who picks DT or Moore or Stewart as their #1 is justified.
I believe that Maya won 2 or 3 Chinese League championships. Diana has won more partly because she is older--7 years to the day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe that Maya won 2 or 3 Chinese League championships. Diana has won more partly because she is older--7 years to the day.
Yea, and DT has won a few Russian Championships and a Turkish Championship. But that was not the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom