Rank those on the Wall | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rank those on the Wall

Reaction Score
Taurasi wasn't Maya great either .... actually who has been .... Diana was tough and mostly played big on the biggest stage but her performance in the final four her freshman year was easily one of the worst performances in the Final Four of any player to ever don a UConn jersey. She was dreadful. Meanwhile, people forget how great Maria Conlon was in the tournament in both the two mentioned Final Fours and probably deserved the MVP award. Conlon was really good, playing at an AA level in games. Taurasi's teammates get absolutely no respect for how good they played in those two tournaments. To suggest Taurasi got no support is ludicrous. Look at Taurasi's stats and they're good but she didn't come close to CARRYING the team, all by herself.
Conlon played that well because Taurasi made the players around her better! Something Stewie and Maya didnt do! One thing Maya didnt have in college was the ability to break down a defender with her dribble. Not only did Diana win the NCs her last 2 years without any other AAs but also injured for most of the 2 years! Put Diana on Stewie and Mayas teams for thier last 2 years. They win Ncs still. Put them on Dees 03&04 teams and they dont!

Reaction Score
The problem with this type of comparison is if you put Stewie on the 2003/2004 team can you assure us that we wouldn't have won the national championship. If she was the go to option on the team, she probably would've averaged 28ppt, 10+ rebounds and 3+ blocks a game. Individually, I can see Stewie (if she can maintain health and longevity) being considered the greatest of all time, period (she has that potential). I think what makes DT so mythical is her swagger, no other Uconn player has come into the program (thus far) with that kind of swagger.
Sue Bird said if Diana wanted to score double her average in 2002. She could have done it no problem. Her ave was 14.8 a game on the 2002 team.

Reaction Score
Stewie
Not the first year, until the NCAA's then Stewie Became Stewie. After the first 8 games something got to her and she lost confidence until the Ncaa'S --SO, EVEN STEWIE HAD freshman/first year jitters. However the next 3 years were amazing.

Reaction Score
Conlon played that well because Taurasi made the players around her better! Something Stewie and Maya didnt do! One thing Maya didnt have in college was the ability to break down a defender with her dribble. Not only did Diana win the NCs her last 2 years without any other AAs but also injured for most of the 2 years! Put Diana on Stewie and Mayas teams for thier last 2 years. They win Ncs still. Put them on Dees 03&04 teams and they dont!
So you are saying DT made Marie a better 3 shooter, foul shooter, solid nerves in big games and made her a very good passer? If that is true, Geno needs to bring DT in for this team. Marie was a top 3 shooter in HS, played very good HS bb, was a passer, leader, scorer in DERBY was a Naugatuck Valley player of the year at least once maybe more. She wasn't a walk on.

Reaction Score
You suggested that we can "agree to disagree," which is why I commented that I was putting aside the issue for purposes of my previous post. But now the response is that I cannot put that aside, irrespective of your prior comment to "agree to disagree."

Talk about the mixed messages! LOL

I said we can agree to disagree but it didn't seem like you felt that appropriate and wanted to pursue further discussion. It's okay. I was mistaken about that. I'll move on from our discussions. :)

Reaction Score
"Personally I think anyone who picks DT or Moore or Stewart as their #1 is justified."

For classical music fans a similar debate has gone on for many decades between Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. It ultimately comes down to the tastes and prejudices of the fan.

Reaction Score
Wrong!!!!!!!!! An alternative fantasy

Reaction Score
So you are saying DT made Marie a better 3 shooter, foul shooter, solid nerves in big games and made her a very good passer? If that is true, Geno needs to bring DT in for this team. Marie was a top 3 shooter in HS, played very good HS bb, was a passer, leader, scorer in DERBY was a Naugatuck Valley player of the year at least once maybe more. She wasn't a walk on.
I scouted Maria from her freshman year in high school. If the other team didnt concentrate on Taurasi then she would have had a hard time. She was a good role player. Thats it. If Wolfe stayed healthy she would have only played about 8-14 minutes a game(Maria).

Reaction Score
I scouted Maria from her freshman year in high school. If the other team didnt concentrate on Taurasi then she would have had a hard time. She was a good role player. Thats it. If Wolfe stayed healthy she would have only played about 8-14 minutes a game(Maria).
Since Wolfe wasn't around except on the bench, you'll never know what or could have happened. What we did see is Marie drilling threes, in crunch time on the foul line making those shots. She delivered passes where they were needed. Role Player, she was on the floor most of the game(s). That's not a role player. Her cross to bear was being on the floor with DT the one player most came to see or shout down.
No Marie wasn't DT or Maya or Stewie. She wasn't expected to get off the bench but she did and did that exceptionally well. Some, if not more, games DT gets credit for winning wasn't done alone. Marie was an impact player often on tight wins. Give credit to a Connecticut native (rare on Uconn) who earned it while being in the Shadow of DT.

Reaction Score
Since Wolfe wasn't around except on the bench, you'll never know what or could have happened. What we did see is Marie drilling threes, in crunch time on the foul line making those shots. She delivered passes where they were needed. Role Player, she was on the floor most of the game(s). That's not a role player. Her cross to bear was being on the floor with DT the one player most came to see or shout down.
No Marie wasn't DT or Maya or Stewie. She wasn't expected to get off the bench but she did and did that exceptionally well. Some, if not more, games DT gets credit for winning wasn't done alone. Marie was an impact player often on tight wins. Give credit to a Connecticut native (rare on Uconn) who earned it while being in the Shadow of DT.
I did a good role player. You have her playing like she was All' American LOL!

Reaction Score
I did a good role player. You have her playing like she was All' American LOL!
YOU WIN. Sarcasm in place of intellectual discussion.. No discussing with that. What part of No DT, No Maya did you not understand??

Reaction Score
What is the ranking based on? Talent, teams , or championships?

How can you measure "talent?" And how would you justify for example that Maya Moore is greater than Morgan Tuck?

If it's just points scored how would you justify that Diana Taurasi is greater than Nykesha Sales and Kerry Bascom even though the latter two have scored more career points?

Reaction Score
YOU WIN. Sarcasm in place of intellectual discussion.. No discussing with that. What part of No DT, No Maya did you not understand??
It was my opinion and i stand by it. I didnt know this discussion was about winning or losing!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
In terms of defense, Stewie and Maya were MUCH better than DT. MUCH MUCH better.

So, even if you think DT was their equal on offense*, when looking at being a complete player, she's a step below Stewie and Maya.

* She isn't.

Reaction Score
In terms of defense, Stewie and Maya were MUCH better than DT. MUCH MUCH better.

So, even if you think DT was their equal on offense*, when looking at being a complete player, she's a step below Stewie and Maya.

* She isn't.

I think DT's defense was underrated. In part because secondly, imo DT was a great, great pg/sg defensive rebounder. Defensive rebounding is defense. DT was a very physical player and her 03 and 04 teams needed her physicality.

With that said-- because of the Defense- I put Stewie over DT. And while I thought Maya was better on D than DT no doubt- I thought overall DT's offense was better by enough to put her 2nd ahead of Maya but not ahead of Stewie. It's all subjective of course. I just happen to believe Stewie's length and athleticism - in a way intangibles - were just "crazy." It's my "bias."

Reaction Score
Stewie was great, but she wasn’t (isn’t) Taurasi level great.
What more could Stewie do to be "DT" great? She was the leader and excelled on both offense and defense. She could rebound, pass, handle the rock, score inside and out. She was unselfish, made those around her better and won a chip every year??? Explain please. She could of averaged gaudier numbers if she stayed in games longer which would make this even more obvious.

Reaction Score
To solidify your point regarding DT and lack of quality teammates in the run to 2003 and 2004 championships:
Breanna Stewart had three teammates (Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse & Kia Stokes) not on the Wall of Honor & not previously mentioned here that would have been arguably the 2nd best player on either the '03 & '04 UCONN teams featuring Turner, Conlon, and Strother.
Likewise Maya also played with Doty, Hayes, and Greene.
Stewie had the most help in winning her 4 championships including 8 teammates from the WoH +Faris, Stokes & Nurse. DT had the least help especially in those last two championships which is what makes DT the goat IMO.
So by your logic Michael Jordan could have replaced Stewie and he would not have been better than DT because she had less talented players? If someone is better then they are better period. Your argument is lost because while I get the point you are trying to make, it still does not prove DT is better as Stewie won every year. Most of her teams were the best by a lot and she could have done more if there were less talent on the team or played as many minutes in games that were blow outs. She is the only one that can say she got the job done every year, even her freshman year where she struggled but played like a champion when it mattered most.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, during the Stewart era, was definitely in the same league (talent-wise) as Duke was during 2003 and 2004. But putting that aside for now, the thing is you bolstered my point as to why I rank Diana Taurasi ahead of Breanna Stewart.

This is not about Stewart teams beating Taurasi teams. It is about who is the best player in UConn history and the reasons behind said selection.

UConn had far more talent during the Stewart years than during Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons. In fact, UConn was the most talented team (on paper) in the country during Stewart's sophomore, junior, and senior seasons. At no time during 2003 and 2004 did UConn have the consensus most talented team (on paper); that honor fell to Duke and Tennessee. Taurasi took teams with far less talent than Stewart's teams -- and less talent than Duke or Tennessee -- and still won the national titles both years. Other than her freshman season, UConn was always the favorite to win the national title and the most talented team during the Stewart years.

Having a much better supporting cast is why I rank Stewart #2, as Taurasi's 2003 and 2004 seasons demonstrated she could do more with less, so to speak.
So if someone is better they are better. Is Jordan getting penalized because he played with Pippen and were favored to win the chip? Maybe Stewie's team's were so favored was because she was on them.... Can't penalize her for winning with talent, if she had lost then maybe you would have a case. If you like DT's style, personality or game better that is a different argument then who was the best player. Maybe DT was but people stating Stewie is not because of players she won with is ridiculous already, what else could she do to prove herself but win? And she did just that.

Reaction Score
Simply put, Diana Taurasi is the Goat of Women's Basketball. I'm not knocking Brenna Stewart, she was an outstanding player. In their prime, if I had to pick one player to win a game for me it would be Taurasi. I wouldn't even have to hesitate to make my decision.

Reaction Score
Its how you win that separates the very top tier. DT carried her last 2 teams on her back and willed them to victory. Cant say that with Stewart. Jordan hit the game-winner with the flu & an IV - Pippen did not.

Reaction Score
Jordan didn’t win till he had pippen DT had no pippen

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01